Dark line appearing on fish

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Could you, or anyone help me in identifying this? I have attached a couple pictures. It is a dark line that has presented itself on my Margined Coralfish. No other fish in tank have it. The line has been slowly getting darker over the last couple of weeks and now looks like it is starting to look like its developing into an open sore. Any idea? He just got out of Copper treatment. Can this cause erosion like this? Its on both sides and goes down to the anus.

33r.jpg 43.jpg

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ehh nvm im dumb seems normal for this fish. I guess the line just now starting to appear.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ehh nvm im dumb seems normal for this fish. I guess the line just now starting to appear.
Good to hear, I was having difficulty seeing anything on it. Nice big fish, how long have you had it? I don’t think I’ve had one before, I did have a couple Chelmonops….

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear, I was having difficulty seeing anything on it. Nice big fish, how long have you had it? I don’t think I’ve had one before, I did have a couple Chelmonops….
When I first got the fish, it was a few months ago, he had no side markings. At first, I thought it was some sort of bacterial infection starting because of the slow progression and color. After I did a google search, I noticed that a lot of them have the lines I see forming. Not sure if it's an age thing or what because heres a specimen thats young with it.

LA sold it to me listed as a 4 inch fish, turned out to be about 6 1/2... I have a Red Sea Reefer-S 1000 arriving to me hopefully next month, so he'll have to deal with my 90 gallon tank for now.

qw.jpg qe.jpg pic.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got the fish, it was a few months ago, he had no side markings. At first, I thought it was some sort of bacterial infection starting because of the slow progression and color. After I did a google search, I noticed that a lot of them have the lines I see forming. Not sure if it's an age thing or what because heres a specimen thats young with it.

LA sold it to me listed as a 4 inch fish, turned out to be about 6 1/2... I have a Red Sea Reefer-S 1000 arriving to me hopefully next month, so he'll have to deal with my 90 gallon tank for now.

qw.jpg qe.jpg pic.jpg

I checked my records - I did have one about 15 years ago. It only lived about 2 years, not sure what happened to it.

So - they don't fight with copperbands? I don't know why, but I always keep copperbands seperate,..one of those things I was taught, but then never asked why (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked my records - I did have one about 15 years ago. It only lived about 2 years, not sure what happened to it.

So - they don't fight with copperbands? I don't know why, but I always keep copperbands seperate,..one of those things I was taught, but then never asked why (grin).

Jay
Mine is extremely friendly and knows humans=food. Ive never witnessed anything other than a tiny chase during feeding time between them. The Margined Coralfish is definitely the alpha, but they get along great and feed together. I wouldnt say theyve paired but the copperband follows him everywhere, and he doesnt mind.

I wonder if its possible for them to breed together being such close relatives?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is extremely friendly and knows humans=food. Ive never witnessed anything other than a tiny chase during feeding time between them. The Margined Coralfish is definitely the alpha, but they get along great and feed together. I wouldnt say theyve paired but the copperband follows him everywhere, and he doesnt mind.

I wonder if its possible for them to breed together being such close relatives?
IDK if they can interbreed, but sounds like yours are pairing off, pretty cool!

Jay

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this fish some kind of hybrid from a copperband ? Or what ?

Found some info out myself so disregard thanks

Nice fish though
My first thoughts were the same or a rare version of Copperband. There is very little information out there on the species, so I'll likely attempt some sort of write up after I get more time with him to observe his behaviors.

As of now I would say they are MUCH easier than Copperbands to care for. They require a larger tank, but they seem to be very curious fish and have zero hesitation with eating. Stress is low even in a smaller tank. They certainly act like other Butterflies I have with their movements and ability to swim upside down. They are more food territorial than other butterflies I've had, but nothing major. One thing that is cool is they seem to bite their prey and then shake them (like a harlequin tusk will). I often hear clam shells being smashed against my glass.

They also have the cool ability of becoming black at night to sleep. The silver color turns to black when the lights go down. Much like a Moorish Idol or Foxface Lo will do to camo.

If you ever have the option to buy one, I would highly suggest it due to the seemingly low risk of the fish rejecting food and it's truly magnificent size. Great addition to both a peaceful and predatorish tank. He's in my top 3 favorite fish next to the Harlequin Tusk and Moorish Idol.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thoughts were the same or a rare version of Copperband. There is very little information out there on the species, so I'll likely attempt some sort of write up after I get more time with him to observe his behaviors.

As of now I would say they are MUCH easier than Copperbands to care for. They require a larger tank, but they seem to be very curious fish and have zero hesitation with eating. Stress is low even in a smaller tank. They certainly act like other Butterflies I have with their movements and ability to swim upside down. They are more food territorial than other butterflies I've had, but nothing major. One thing that is cool is they seem to bite their prey and then shake them (like a harlequin tusk will). I often hear clam shells being smashed against my glass.

They also have the cool ability of becoming black at night to sleep. The silver color turns to black when the lights go down. Much like a Moorish Idol or Foxface Lo will do to camo.

If you ever have the option to buy one, I would highly suggest it due to the seemingly low risk of the fish rejecting food and it's truly magnificent size. Great addition to both a peaceful and predatorish tank. He's in my top 3 favorite fish next to the Harlequin Tusk and Moorish Idol.
Thankyou very much for the very detailed response. Will take all you said into account if ever decide by one and I think either yourself or jay said other day can keep with copperbands with not much trouble or something along those lines as I already got a copperband in tank.

As it stands at moment I'm nearly at capacity in my 80g display maybe a little over as cant seem to get my nitrates to lower with roughly 17% wc each week ( I know mad % but that's what it roughly is lol )
But when get my nitrates down and can keep stable I'm thinking getting a red scooter blenny or some kind of wrasse incase encounter flatworns as majority my fish got a purpose ( just incase cone across a pest as dont qt corals )
But again appreciate your derailed response greatly ^_^

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back