DarkReefer's Waterbox 70.2 (My First Marine Tank!)

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I expect it'll go on for a period of time but I'm kind of thinking I'll see what I can do to start working against it before it gets too crazy.

20210209_185451.jpg

You can see it a bit better in this light

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's a weekend without a trip to the LFS?

Came out today with a few new inhabitants :) Left one or two behind that I really wanted but thought I shouldn't (or at least not yet for one of them).

We now have an Allen's Sandsifter & 3 Blue Green Chromis.
The sandsifter has made his home under the rock where the duncans and hammer are, he's got at least 3 entry/exit points that I know of too. He's a lot of fun to watch him work and didn't waste any time at all starting to rearrange the sand in the tank to his liking lol. Literally started digging immediately and making his own piles around the place.

The chromis are enjoyable, and having them around the tank has even made the Clowns seem a bit more active so it's nice to see more life and activity in the tank :)

20210213_140922.jpg

20210213_142510.jpg

I also grabbed some mysis and just gave everyone their first feed with it, everyone loved it!
Was amazing watching the hammer grab food and the duncans grabbed some as well, their little mouths are bulging with happiness now. The sandsifter also shot out and started grabbing things right away too.

Still need to get around to do some cable management. I also want to lift the powerboard up off of the floor next to the tank as I can tell it's a short circuit waiting to happen if I were to spill water or things flooded.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to move my duncan today. Came home to find him all closed up. Think the sandsifter has been chucking sand everywhere when he's been digging himself in/out throwing sand up onto the rocks it was on. So now I've placed it a little further up. See how this position goes for now!

20210215_175849.jpg

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of an update but yesterday my 3rd sensor for the ATO came in handy (it's an extra that doesn't ship with the Kamoer, but it's a free addition). Saw my ATO reservoir on Sunday getting a bit low, told myself I'd top it off later once the dogs were out of the way.

Skip to Monday morning after forgetting about it and woke up to the alarm going off telling me the water level was getting too low.
Already saved me and it's only been in a couple weeks or so!

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of an update but yesterday my 3rd sensor for the ATO came in handy (it's an extra that doesn't ship with the Kamoer, but it's a free addition). Saw my ATO reservoir on Sunday getting a bit low, told myself I'd top it off later once the dogs were out of the way.

Skip to Monday morning after forgetting about it and woke up to the alarm going off telling me the water level was getting too low.
Already saved me and it's only been in a couple weeks or so!
Well im glad you have the auto top off. I havent got tired of doing mine by hand yet. I can see it happening one day though lol

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday there was a new addition to the tank, a Pavona :)
20210220_173905.jpg

Then went to another LFS today and well... got excited.

20210221_152249.jpg

Will be sure to post some updates once they're a bit more settled in the tank :)
Tank is looking good. I think I saw earlier in the thread your lfs state you didn't need to test for alk, phos for a while until you add more to the tank? Not sure I agree here, if the items you are adding like your current levels then you want to keep them thre and how will you know what they are and what you want to get back to once things go south. It sucks to come home one day and see everything look in bad shape and suddenly loose something. I test alk almost daily, and then weekly calcium, ph, phosphate, nitrate, salinity, and monthly on mag.The brand of test kits is a much dicussed item on the boards ao plenty in there. Good Luck!

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good. I think I saw earlier in the thread your lfs state you didn't need to test for alk, phos for a while until you add more to the tank? Not sure I agree here, if the items you are adding like your current levels then you want to keep them thre and how will you know what they are and what you want to get back to once things go south. It sucks to come home one day and see everything look in bad shape and suddenly loose something. I test alk almost daily, and then weekly calcium, ph, phosphate, nitrate, salinity, and monthly on mag.The brand of test kits is a much dicussed item on the boards ao plenty in there. Good Luck!
Cheers mate, happened to grab a Hanna for the alk testing today as I've been wanting to get this info asap myself. From what I can see I'm a bit low at 6.1 dKH, so will test again tomorrow night and see where I'm at. Likely need to look at getting that increased though. Phos is the next one I'm keen to get but I know I need calcium too.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you take on a sample to them? Probably wise to. Need to raise alk. I picked up done Red sea foundation B alkalinity. Noticed to raise it roughly 0.5 you will need 10ml but you will ňeed to Work out your daily consumption rate as well. Mine sits at 0.2/day alk consumption so would think yours will be more.

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers mate, happened to grab a Hanna for the alk testing today as I've been wanting to get this info asap myself. From what I can see I'm a bit low at 6.1 dKH, so will test again tomorrow night and see where I'm at. Likely need to look at getting that increased though. Phos is the next one I'm keen to get but I know I need calcium too.
I use Hanna for all three, but also double check with salifert once in a while, especially on the calcium, I guess this one is rather toucy with hanna and can give off some mixed readings. Yeah 6.1 is a little low, just remember to raise slowly.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium and magnesium go salifert. More or less the same with out the price tag of hanna. Alk is your one that will constantly change. The other 2 will remain reasonably stable.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you take on a sample to them? Probably wise to. Need to raise alk. I picked up done Red sea foundation B alkalinity. Noticed to raise it roughly 0.5 you will need 10ml but you will ňeed to Work out your daily consumption rate as well. Mine sits at 0.2/day alk consumption so would think yours will be more.
Cheers, nah never remember to take a sample! I'll be monitoring over the next few days to work out consumption but will try order or get something before the week is out, want to make sure I give the corals the best chance. Got a few in there now. Need to relax with the purchasing!! Just seem to see something all the time and its like oooo!!!

I use Hanna for all three, but also double check with salifert once in a while, especially on the calcium, I guess this one is rather toucy with hanna and can give off some mixed readings. Yeah 6.1 is a little low, just remember to raise slowly.

Yeah planning to get the Hanna for phos too, calc will likely be somethin else tho. People from what I've read don't rate the Hanna for calcium.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah I feel ya. Let it grow and mature for a few weeks and fit your parameters to settle into a good vibe, your corals will appreciate it more. Mine to was 6.2 before raising it. Everything was fine over a 10 day period to get it to 8.5 and have noticed a big difference in corals. And the fish appear more active and brave to swim around the whole tank now

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well well you have the coral bug. You will probably need to taste testing like the all say and dose as needed but now I'm just interested to see what else you got. Hopefully there's pics soon.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah I feel ya. Let it grow and mature for a few weeks and fit your parameters to settle into a good vibe, your corals will appreciate it more. Mine to was 6.2 before raising it. Everything was fine over a 10 day period to get it to 8.5 and have noticed a big difference in corals. And the fish appear more active and brave to swim around the whole tank now
Ah well that's good that yours started off around the same and you were able to get it sorted without too much of an issue and they're looking good now, hopefully I'll see the same!
Well well you have the coral bug. You will probably need to taste testing like the all say and dose as needed but now I'm just interested to see what else you got. Hopefully there's pics soon.
Haha yeah, most certainly do! It's very addictive. Definitely need to be doing more testing and just get everything stable and happy now I think. Will need to learn the art of those guys who have really established reef tanks with corals next to one another etc and looking really lush. Feel like most of my corals are the ones that sting at each other, so have had to spread em out a bit haha

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah well that's good that yours started off around the same and you were able to get it sorted without too much of an issue and they're looking good now, hopefully I'll see the same!

Haha yeah, most certainly do! It's very addictive. Definitely need to be doing more testing and just get everything stable and happy now I think. Will need to learn the art of those guys who have really established reef tanks with corals next to one another etc and looking really lush. Feel like most of my corals are the ones that sting at each other, so have had to spread em out a bit haha
Good rule of thumb is 6 inches away from corals that will harm others. Some however can be next to eachother. But any that put out sweeper tentacles at night can usually reach about that far.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some Red Sea Foundation B today at lunch and also a magnesium & calcium Salifert test kit so I can start monitoring those.
Was going to grab the Red Sea ones, but for the price of one of those kits I got both of the others with change.
Still need to get the Hanna egg for the Phos and then hopefully... that's the most of it.

Starting to feel like a chemist having all these things to mix/test etc.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you i was on a family zoom call today and went to show them the tank and started talking and they were all saying I sounded like a chemist and a little nutty bc it was just fish and coral. They also didn't understand the fish having a bed time. Lol I was like the lights go out and they all go to bed. Or some fish start to eat or coral. O well. I enjoy the hobby.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you i was on a family zoom call today and went to show them the tank and started talking and they were all saying I sounded like a chemist and a little nutty bc it was just fish and coral. They also didn't understand the fish having a bed time. Lol I was like the lights go out and they all go to bed. Or some fish start to eat or coral. O well. I enjoy the hobby.
It's so true though. Literally watched my clowns goto sleep in their spot last night. Even my chromis went to sleep in their little caves in the rock.
Not to mention the tentacles and things that seem to magically appear from corals after dark etc.

I can't say I enjoy testing much, it's interesting here and there, but when you have to do it constantly it becomes a little tiresome (but fully understand it needs to be done to keep everyone/everything healthy and pretty to look at).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back