Darth Maul Pics and Question

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on my photography skills, let me know what you think.
Actinic only
ActinicDarth.jpg

Daylight
DarthDay.jpg

Question for chalice experts, this chalice is a good 2" across, I need to frag it into 4 pieces but it only has 2 eyes, is this possible?

IntDboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems blurry..The last pic hurts my eyes a lil...

Things can only get better good luck!!

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but that is not really the darth maul. The darth maul chalice originated from Matt at reefready.com. My friend (tuberider) actually found the colony. If that came from wwc that isn't the real darth maul chalice.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh it did come from wwc, the gy that sold it to me wasnt sure if it was darth maul or what they called the volcano chalice, it does have black streaks..
Its blurry cause I dont have a macro lens and cropped it out to blow it up, unfortunately it highlights my imperfect photo taking skills.
It sounds lame but I think my glasses are preventing me getting a good pic have a hard time putting my eye up to the view window and seeing if I am as in focus as I want to be.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I frag it if it only has two eyes into more than 2 pieces?

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the growth pattern on it though, reminds me of a thumb print

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see anything special about the real or fake darth maul. I think that it gets some publicity because the one wwc has is not the one someone else has or named but if not for that bit of controversy its just a red chalice with some black in it. I see nothing special about it. Just my opinion not trying to start anything.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see anything special about the real or fake darth maul. I think that it gets some publicity because the one wwc has is not the one someone else has or named but if not for that bit of controversy its just a red chalice with some black in it. I see nothing special about it. Just my opinion not trying to start anything.
I pretty much agree. I think what attracts people to the original, at least from a collector's standpoint, is that it was one of the OG chalices before chalices were even considered "cool". On top of that, the "real" darth maul has a pretty tight lineage, from what I understand not too many people have it as it was only distributed to a few. I could be wrong, though.

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, your right on. It is a tight lineaged piece and not many people do have it. The original owner gave a few frags out and its definately not all the people who think they have it, but for me to like a piece enough to actually want it I still have to think its nice or above average of a piece. This one just doesn't live up to the hype in my opinion.

ShakyJay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the question at hand, anyone?

I am pretty sure that is not possible...I believe you need eyes for the coral to eat from, otherwise it will not be able to get the nutrients needed for growth and it will just die.

If I am wrong someone will correct me, but thought I would try and help from the limited knowledge I have-haha

bkss709

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be just fine i have test cut 5 or so of my chalice with out any eye's and it just took longer to grow a new eye

ShakyJay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be just fine i have test cut 5 or so of my chalice with out any eye's and it just took longer to grow a new eye

So you can just frag it anywhere and let it grow out? It may just take longer?

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can just frag it anywhere and let it grow out? It may just take longer?

I have done this before and it will end up growing an eye. I have a piece of the High Octane from WWC and it does not even have an eye yet.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info and feedback guys!
In summary, don't quit my job to become a photographer, and frag the *** chalice already lol

Last edited by a moderator:

reefmaster3024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fragged a chalice that didnt have an eye, and the piece grew a bunch of eyes ( about 5 or 6) grouped close together quickly, I guess to protect its self from dieing.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back