• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

DaStaco XtremA Model A-2 Calcium Reactor × 1

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used DaStaco XtremA Model A-2 Calcium Reactor for sale for $1000 plus shipping.

a few relevant points -
1) The unit was purchased on 1/1/21 from Unique Corals. The purchase price was $1998 with free shipping.
2) The unit was installed on my system and ran for 3 days before I disconnected it. During this time it worked, but I did get a few alarms associated with the parasitic pump and its connections to the the sump/reactor. I made a few changes to the location and length of the rigid 1/4 inch (RO/DI like) tubing and rebooted the electronic controller and it proceeded to operate for another 24 hours or so before getting another alarm.
3) I had trouble keeping the 1/4 rigid tubing connected to the pump. The connectors are not sufficient for this type of rigid tubing. I had much more success using typical aquarium silicone airline tubing. These made for solid fail proof connections. However, in the final iteration, before disconnecting, I reverted back to the rigid 1/4 inch tubing that came with the unit, but swapped out the standard pump connectors (the yellow plastic ones) with Loc-Line push connectors (from Marine Depot) that hold this tubing in place like an RO/DI unit. These connectors do require plumbers tape on the threading to stay fastened to the pump. With this configuration, the connections to and from the pump were solid. I am including both types of connectors with this unit (both the original and the Loc-Lines).
4) In disassembling the unit, I accidently broke the 240V Eheim pump. It is not salvageable and needs to be replaced. It is approximately $100 to replace it. I can include the broken pump with the shipment if interested.
5) I am selling this because the work required to get the pump adjusted to avoid the alarms. Since the system shuts off when an alarm is triggered, the Alk and Calc could be at risk if you are away (on vacation) or whatever for a period of time. I know it is possible to work through these issues, but this is not what I want to do. I think I am happier with a manual one that I can adjust periodically in target Alk and Calc, and be assured that it won't stop working at a time that I am not around to fix it or reboot it. I have reverted back to my LifeReef reactor, and have ordered a GEO to replace it, so I can get the two chambers and a parasitic pump like that of this DaStaco.
6) The good new is that I got it running immediately. I put it together, added media, did leak test, and then turned it on and it ran for about a day before I got my first alarm. I then began making adjustments on the water inputs, reset the device and it would run for another day or so before getting another alarm. I had no issues with the CO2 regulator nor solenoid. Also had no trouble getting the needle valve adjusted to get the CO2 blue light to stay illuminated for 2 to 3 minutes upon initial set up. So overall, other than the occasional alarm, the system ran well and was raising my Alk each day toward my target value.
7) It comes with the 220V to 110V transformer and everything else that was originally shipped from Unique Corals, except for most of RO/DI tubing, as I used much of that up during my adjustment process.
8) Factoring in the like new age of this system, the original price paid, the cost of shipping to be covered by the buyer, and the cost of the replacement Eheim pump, the $1000 sales price is ~40% discount.
9) I can include the Pro Cal Pure media (20kg) as part of this sale, but note that it will drive up shipping costs because of its weight.

IMG_3491.jpeg IMG_3489.jpeg IMG_3488.jpeg IMG_3487.jpeg

OP
OP
NYCMAN

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update. I ordered a replacement Eheim for $110 so will ship it with the new Eheim. Therefore this reactor will now be just like new and ready to go with all parts needed other than RO/DI replacement tubing (for the sump connections). With this amendment, I need to raise the price to cover the new Eheim - so $1110 plus shipping. If it does not sell in a month or so, I may likely try to make use of it again. Regarding not returning it. With the new Eheim, the reactor is not defective in any way. The alarm issue I encountered is common, and one of the things that requires normal tweaking, from my understanding from others, and the Facebook page. My only lingering concern, is not so much the occasional alarm, and the required patience in resolving these issues, but rather an alarm tripping while I am on vacation and the reactor stopping until I return. I think one remedy for that might be putting it on the Apex, and shutting it off once or twice a day automatically in such circumstances, as this resets the controller and clears the alarm.

Last edited:

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can literally send this back and say it’s defective because it trips every sensor.
That should be all you need.
If the company can explain how to get past without setting off alarms, I’d send it back.
Sure you could call them and explain the situation.
If I’m paying $2k for something, it better work with minimal effort.

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the alarms on dastaco is not a deffective issue. These reactors have to be setup exactly how they are described on the manual. Seeing that most of reefers here are guys... following instructions and reading the manual through is unlinkely lol. They are great reactors and are set and forget, but a lot of people do not follow the setup manuals 100% causing issues that will trigger alarms. There is a fb group ran by Dastaco group that provides support. 90% of the time is user error.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the alarms on dastaco is not a deffective issue. These reactors have to be setup exactly how they are described on the manual. Seeing that most of reefers here are guys... following instructions and reading the manual through is unlinkely lol. They are great reactors and are set and forget, but a lot of people do not follow the setup manuals 100% causing issues that will trigger alarms. There is a fb group ran by Dastaco group that provides support. 90% of the time is user error.
Ah makes sense!
Yeah.... I’m not reading some manual....

If this doesn’t sell, it’ll be neat to see a video of this in action. Sure fellow reefers can help with problems he might have.
Or even that FB group.

OP
OP
NYCMAN

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah makes sense!
Yeah.... I’m not reading some manual....

If this doesn’t sell, it’ll be neat to see a video of this in action. Sure fellow reefers can help with problems he might have.
Or even that FB group.

OP
OP
NYCMAN

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to keep it and give another go round. I will run it into and out of a 5 gallon saltwater tank while my current reactor stays on my 200 gallon so I can take my time getting it right. I was trying to debug it on my main tank which given the amount of tweaking necessary with this unit, is not prudent. This way I can run it for weeks off line if necessary, and then cut it over to big tank when it is fully debugged. Sorry for the distraction on this. If I can't get it working in the next month or so, will be relisting it.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is nice to see here, is that instead of the members jumping on a sale of the century, they would rather help the OP to try to fix and understand his new reactor, then scoring and flipping the unit.

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to keep it and give another go round. I will run it into and out of a 5 gallon saltwater tank while my current reactor stays on my 200 gallon so I can take my time getting it right. I was trying to debug it on my main tank which given the amount of tweaking necessary with this unit, is not prudent. This way I can run it for weeks off line if necessary, and then cut it over to big tank when it is fully debugged. Sorry for the distraction on this. If I can't get it working in the next month or so, will be relisting it.
just go back to the manual and follow the instructions the the T. They have some pretty sensitive details like the height of the regulator and co2 tank.. etc.. if you have any questions join the fb the support is awesome.

OP
OP
NYCMAN

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just go back to the manual and follow the instructions the the T. They have some pretty sensitive details like the height of the regulator and co2 tank.. etc.. if you have any questions join the fb the support is awesome.
Thanks. Will do. I am a 40 year tech cto so can do this. lol.

tank of gems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going thru the thread and I give 2 thumbs up for all the help he is getting to keep a great piece of equipment

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to buy the thing....by all reports they rock! Did you check with Adam at Battlecorals? He is one of the U.S. resellers. Good luck and I hope this goes very well for you!

OP
OP
NYCMAN

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reinstalled it and it has been working for several days with no alarms. I ran it for about a day into and out of a 3 gallon bucket of salt water, but, as would be expected, the dkh of that water got quickly above 20, so I decided to run it in my 200gallon tank along side the existing Lifereef reactor. Since then I have been dialing down the Lifereef and am seeing a dkh increase in the tank. Will continue to dial back the Lifereef reactor until it is off and am running solely on the DeStaCo, which remains on the 10 percent setting. So may need to slightly ratchet that up once Lifereef reactor is off. So what changed? The only thing I did to stop the alarms is increase the venting from 1 to 2 per day. That is all. Only issue is I have a slight leak between the new Eheim pump and the reactor's CO2 chamber. When I got the new Eheim from Unique corals, it did not have the connection fastened to the pump, so I had to glue it. One side of it requires a hard gluing, the other side is a male thread with plumbers tape. My hope was that they would send the eheim with the connection glued, so all I would have to do is twist it onto the reactor using the taped male threading on the connection.

IMG_3676.jpeg

Last edited:

Jackson2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your opinion overall on the DeStaCo? I just ordered one today?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back