OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot to update at this point. Waiting for the gas pipe to be run to the kitchen to free up the electrical I need to finish wiring the room. Throughout the week I will likely be starting to plumb the mixing station (but I am still waiting for the second water tank) and I may start putting up some drywall.
Tonight I am finishing up the front wall framing and I will get some pictures up. I won't be attaching the framing yet as I will wait until the tank is on the stand so the walls are not in the way.

OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the framing for the walls. The walls and door are not attached yet. I will be removing them an the stand until the interior of the room is completely finished and they won't go back in until the tank is on the stand.
room3.jpg

OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water tanks for mixing station are here. I'm waiting for a few plumbing parts that are on order and to put the drywall up and then I will install the mixing station.
tanks1.jpg

OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next steps will be put up drywall and install the room lighting. Then I can put in the mixing station and finish the interior of the fish room. Still likely a few weeks before the sump and tank are shipped. I'm hoping that I can get everything done before they arrive, but I'm losing next weekend for work on the room because my wife is insisting we spend the weekend at the lake instead of in the basement...

Babado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have enough light you can. They do have markings on the outside and with good lighting you can see the level.
I have seen people install a clear tube alongside taller barrels like with with bulkheads at top and bottom in order to be able to check the current water level. sorry if im explaining it poorly, ill try to find an example

OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen people install a clear tube alongside taller barrels like with with bulkheads at top and bottom in order to be able to check the current water level. sorry if im explaining it poorly, ill try to find an example
I’d be interested in seeing a picture. However, I am installing a 5200 lumen ceiling light in the fish room so I’m pretty confident I’ll be able to see the level. I could see it when the tanks were outside.

Babado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this:
Was created by 1/4″ hard clear acrylic tubing, 1/4″ push connect bulkhead and 1/4″ push connect elbow. Just install a bulkhead in the top and bottom of each container, then add an elbow to each bulkhead with the hard tubing in between the elbows.

1623121801158.png

OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this:
Was created by 1/4″ hard clear acrylic tubing, 1/4″ push connect bulkhead and 1/4″ push connect elbow. Just install a bulkhead in the top and bottom of each container, then add an elbow to each bulkhead with the hard tubing in between the elbows.

1623121801158.png
Thanks for the idea. If I have any issue seeing the water level now I have solution.

OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up going to the lake this weekend so I only got a little bit done this evening. Starting to put up the drywall, got the water line over to where I want it for the RODI, and got the the light installed for the fish room with the three way switches so it can be turned on from either entrance.
room4.jpg

OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For this week, I am hoping to finish the drywall and electrical. My tank from @Joe Glass Cages has shipped. Waiting on the freight company to call to arrange delivery. The tank will likely sit in the garage a bit as I finish the room. Sump is likely a few more weeks out and I'd like that in the room before the tank is installed as it will be easier to get it in the room without the tank in place.

OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating whether I want to install a 4 ft counter on top of cabinets along the back wall of the fish room for work space or put in a workbench with a peg board and storage shelf. It might be nice to have the peg board with some commonly used tools on it. Anyone have any opinion? Anyone have a work bench and wish they had a countertop instead?

Last edited:

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating whether I want to install a 4 ft counter on top of cabinets along the back wall of the fish room for work space or put in a workbench with a peg board and storage shelf. It might be nice to have the peg board with some commonly used tools on it. Anyone have any opinion? Anyone have a work bench and wish they had a countertop instead?
Why not just put peg board above the counter top?

OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just put peg board above the counter top?
I could. I guess the thing I'm looking at is price and function. With the cabinets and counter top, I'm looking at about $350. With a work bench, with shelf, I can spend around $200. Not a huge difference, but they all add up over the course of the project and I believe I will get a similar utility out of either.
I wonder if there would be a greater utility from the counter top that I'm over looking.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For this week, I am hoping to finish the drywall and electrical. My tank from @Joe Glass Cages has shipped. Waiting on the freight company to call to arrange delivery. The tank will likely sit in the garage a bit as I finish the room. Sump is likely a few more weeks out and I'd like that in the room before the tank is installed as it will be easier to get it in the room without the tank in place.
so exciting!

OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish room keeps creeping closer to done. All the drywall up and painted. Trim down. I will be setting up the mixing station tanks and workbench hopefully tomorrow. The lines coming out of the back wall are the RODI supply and waste lines. The pvc coming through the ceiling is for outside air for the skimmer. That pipe will run along the ceiling to the sump.

Attachments

• room5.jpg
    room5.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 74

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back