Dawn of the cuboid

Kent E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it begins!
3C4E0994-5183-4C0B-9125-574EE7B5090E.jpeg
So why this tank? The plan is to share the reef experience with others. Fortunately, I have a captive audience. We have a park where folks and their kids travel from all over to stay with us. I want to offer the opportunity for the kids and their parents to enjoy and learn about reefs. The tank will be semi public, meaning there will be times available for viewing and personalized tours of the tank.

OP
OP
K

Kent E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
170228EF-B6BE-470B-BD60-2ABC5D8E55A0.jpeg
What size is the tank? 8x8x3

I have always been fond of large tanks and over the years discovered these are the largest dimensions one can reach with tongs.

By the way, it’s amazing how proficient you get dealing with tongs; I often forgo the chop sticks and dig in at the Japanese restaunt with them. It’s a real head turner.

OP
OP
K

Kent E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29055BA7-007A-48DF-BC9B-DAD731121041.jpeg
Glassing and epoxying the composite board.

* please disregard the background; we affectionately call this area “the junkyard”. The building behind is the repair shop and this build is taking place under the awning. The fabrication shop is not yet built.

OP
OP
K

Kent E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting: A whole mess of xr15s, between 9-12.

Filtration: At least 3000 gallons of refugium which will contain lots of sand, ceramic rock, various algae, seagrass etc. this will also serve as a nursery for zooplankton (hopefully)

I have a king-kong skimmer which will be hooked to ozone. This will be run apart from the refugium as to not kill off the goodies but enough to keep the water clear.

Stocking plans: mixed reef, heavy on sps and at least one gigantea anemone, lots of tangs, sohal tang, lots of smaller fish as well.

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also looking to do a zooplankton refugium. I’m curious how you are going to set yours up

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kent is the man, so obviously this tank will be amazing! I've seen his plywood 250(?) and 1000g tanks. Of course, this one was going to be bigger! Sounds like ~1400 gallons.

I'm curious about the composite board: how thick is it, and what will support the underside?
Also, I assume the panels will be 3/4" glass? Are they going to be bonded directly to the steel frame?

Also, is that stainless steel angle?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back