vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is really a beautifully natural looking reef
Thank you Oliver. Yes, I am striving for a very natural looking reef so I very much appreciate your comment.

Well 1 of the firefish is looking like it will not make it. Bummer, I hate this. This may be a poor decision on my part but I moved all the healthy looking fish into the display. I hope that I do not really regret this choice but I felt the healthy ones could benefit from being in a stable enviroment with lots of hiding places. I was pretty sure that they would not be bullied and I feed this tank very heavy with a good variety of frozen and dry food. Wish me luck!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news...the 1 firefish, the clownfish, the wrasse and the Royal gramma all ate in the display tank. They are also comfortably swimming in the open water. The YWG is residing in a cave but does not appear to be cowering. I have not seen it eat yet but he is a robust fish so I am optimistic.

These 5 fish make a nice addition to the tank's inhabitants. They spend more time in the open water and add color so I am pleased with them as long as they live! LOL

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning the yellow watchman goby ate well so he was the last hold out that was worrying me. I have probably turned the corner and hopefully my new fish will all fatten up like my old fish. I love having plump fish!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed another order with Live Aquaria using the credit from the fish losses I experienced with the last order. I will not order anymore fish but I felt inverts have a better chance being mailed. I used to have a beautiful purple blue Crocea clam for years which I sold when I got seahorses. I have been wanting another clam so I ordered an ORA aquaculture Hippopus clam. It sounded sturdier than croceas so I thought it should do pretty well in this high nutrient tank. I have 2 volunteer scallops that are growing great so even though this clam is barely 2" I think it will get the food it needs to thrive. I placed it in the lowest level in the sand with a cup shaped live rock under it. Hopefully it attaches its byssal thread to the rock and so can be moved if that ever becomes necessary. I will take a pic when it opens and the lights are on.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking awesome Dawn!!
Thanks Chris! I am liking this tank more than any I have ever had. For this season of life, this tank is just the right size and it's very easily maintained and yet had a lot of life in it.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your choice of fish and their names :)

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we need an open picture!
Nice, what color is a Hippo clam?
This pic shows the clam open and captures the color fairly accurately. It's kind of a white-ish very pale greenish color with tan. It's not striking like the maximas, croceas, squamosas and other greater clams. I don't know if all Hippopus clams are so drab or not. Of course the pic on Live Aquaria look a bit more exciting. When I first saw it, I was somewhat disappointed but it was fairly reasonably priced for a 2-3" clam and I care more about health than it being showy. It's still a cool creature and I will enjoy it.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I worked in the basement 30 gallon fuge. Since I have a DIY reverse durso (to control drain noise) and a DIY overflow into the 20 gallon L sump, the fuge is, shall we say ' a bit homespun'. It will never be display worthy but I decided to do what I could to make it a little less utilitarian looking. That entailed moving rockwork to hide as much of the drainline as possible. This also opened up a lot more of the sand bed which I am going to plant shoal seagrass in. I am trading some of my photosynthetic purple sponge for the seagrass. It should be fun trying my hand at it and shoal seagrass is one of the easier species to grow. I will take a pic after this all happens.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the latest video taken of my tank,
9-24-20
This tank has been so stable since the fuge was added and matured. I am hoping that the addition of the seagrass does not negatively impact the balance of the system. Everything seems to be working like clockwork!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking beautiful, so glad to see the update :)

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
Back