OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 4 ponies in the tank and competing for the best spots at the feeding bowl, I decided that a bigger feeding bowl was necessary. I would have preferred black but this plastic ashtray only came in red or white. White mysis is not as visible on white as red, so that is what I chose.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooooool but you could have painted it black :). I was thinkig of doing that to the one I have since it is white. I do notice my ponies seem to stare really hard to find food in the bowl. I was going to take it out and paint it black. plus I thing it will hide any film algae that might grow on it better

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The ponies are again at the food bowl. Ruth changes from pinto to piebald if you look close and then back to pinto.

O yeah, pay no attention to the husband talking about Bob Evans!

Last edited:
OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooooool but you could have painted it black :). I was thinkig of doing that to the one I have since it is white. I do notice my ponies seem to stare really hard to find food in the bowl. I was going to take it out and paint it black. plus I thing it will hide any film algae that might grow on it better
I am always afraid to paint anything inside the tank in case it leaches something later.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being an environmental guy there is not much in spray paints to worry about as long as it is cured. But you are probably right would be simpler and probably cheaper just to buy a black ash tray than a can of spray paint

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being an environmental guy there is not much in spray paints to worry about as long as it is cured. But you are probably right would be simpler and probably cheaper just to buy a black ash tray than a can of spray paint
I know Valspar has a plastic paint that adheres great, but I just couldn't chance it. Ok, the red is glaring but the ponies like it.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love having 4 ponies. They each have distinct personalities.
Big mama Eve is the matriarch of the herd. I guess because of her size and her age, everyone has a sense of respect for her.
Ruth and Eve are best friends. Eve was genuinely happy to see Ruth when I returned her after her hospitalization. Ruth was equally happy to see Eve.
Samson is the smoozer of the herd. He swims around caressing all the girls with his tail and changing colors for them. However its Eve who makes him quiver with excitement.
Finally little Delilah is a quiet shy pony with a curiosity about life. She looks up to her older female role models and she buddies around with Samson.
Everybody is alway kind to each other and considerate, (well, except at chow time. Its every horse for himself then)!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to vary the ponies' diet a bit but adding a little chopped fish frenzie in with their frozen mysis. When they are really hungry and competing with each other for food they will indescrimately snick some . However when they realize that it isn't mysis they often spit it out. I will keep trying hoping its an acquired taste.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still working on the food bowl situation. At present, with the 4 ponies, they tend to get in the food bowl like a hot tub and then swish mysis everywhere with their tails. I am trying to come up with better hitches for them. It would be nice to get the food bowl off the ground too. I am thinking of using a magnet to have it part way up the glass.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The little ponies still think the food bowl is a hot tub but at least Ruth and Eve know what the hitches are for. I do like having it off the ground.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The little ponies still think the food bowl is a hot tub but at least Ruth and Eve know what the hitches are for. I do like having it off the ground.
Ha! Cool innovation!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you think it looks too ghetto? At least its a nice nice cheery color that matches the back of the tank.
Ha ha! Not at all! I think the hitch posts are awesome!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make that or buy it somewhere?
I did make it. I used a round linked rubber dog toy and a custard cup. I cut the dog toy apart into the shapes I wanted for the hitches and just super glued them to the cup.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back