vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170715_203620.jpg

Somehow Eve is always 'front and center' and the other 2 are hidden behind the scene.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am amazed at the amount of tiny copepods in my tank. They are too small for the seahorses to go after so I guess they have just been multipying unhindered for quite some time. Its very exciting.

Samson and Delilah hang together all the time now. They are pals with Eve but definitely have something special between themselves even though they have never courted yet. It is very sweet, like a first love!

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am amazed at the amount of tiny copepods in my tank. They are too small for the seahorses to go after so I guess they have just been multipying unhindered for quite some time. Its very exciting.

Samson and Delilah hang together all the time now. They are pals with Eve but definitely have something special between themselves even though they have never courted yet. It is very sweet, like a first love!
You could add a mandarin.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a mandarin.
I have often thought about a mandarin but I have a bare bottom tank and have wondered how a Mandy would do. I really do love them. My seahorses are captive bred so I would want a captive bred mandarin too.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great, Dawn! Are you having issues with pics? Just asking because of the links over the last few weeks. If there's any issues I can help with, let me know.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, Dawn! Are you having issues with pics? Just asking because of the links over the last few weeks. If there's any issues I can help with, let me know.
Thanks Daniel.
Yes, I used to use photobucket so when they changed I switched to flickr. I couldn't figure out how to get it to post a pic from my tablet so I tried imgur. Neither one seems to give me the option of imbedding the pic or I just have not figured it out yet. I have been travelling a lot and have not spent much time working on it. I wll take all the suggestions I can get though.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I did a deeper clean than usual. I did not set out to do that but it just evolved. The detritus and debris always collects in a couple little piles at the right end of the tank where I can usually easily syphon it up. However, the red titan macro that grows in a plating manner had gotten so large that I was having trouble getting in under the overhang. So I decided that it needed pruned. Pruning entailed ripping all of it out temporarily, which revealed a lot of detritus in the rockwork. I was rather surprised because I go over the tank regularly with a turkey baster, but nonetheless, there it was. I basted it thoroughly before replacing the red titan.

I share all this for those of you that have coral and macro algae tanks. The more coral and macros you have, the more likelihood that detritus will find nooks and crannies to settle in and potentially fuel dangerous bacteria. Be extra vigilant to check areas of overgrowth.

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vlangel I'm so glad you posted this. Your tank always looks so pristine! I always blow out my LR with either a baster or my small power head prior to a water change, let it filter out and then proceed with the water change. I am always amazed by the amount of detritus and debris that collects in one week! Especially because I use a feedng station, remove uneaten food and then take a brine shrimp net to manually remove any particles that suspend when I turn the pumps back on. This is one of the reasons I'm transitioning to BB. I am seriously considering removing the coral from one of my LR's next water change and doing a major dunk/flush in a bucket of SW! BTW, should you be so inclinded to sell some of your Red Tiitan, I'd love some!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vlangel I'm so glad you posted this. Your tank always looks so pristine! I always blow out my LR with either a baster or my small power head prior to a water change, let it filter out and then proceed with the water change. I am always amazed by the amount of detritus and debris that collects in one week! Especially because I use a feedng station, remove uneaten food and then take a brine shrimp net to manually remove any particles that suspend when I turn the pumps back on. This is one of the reasons I'm transitioning to BB. I am seriously considering removing the coral from one of my LR's next water change and doing a major dunk/flush in a bucket of SW! BTW, should you be so inclinded to sell some of your Red Tiitan, I'd love some!
It is amazing how much detritus can be lurking in a seemingly pristine tank. I used to rescape once a month or so when I first set up this tank because it is so easy with a bb. That was good from the perspective of not allowing gunk to settle long term in places, but not so good for allowing copepods to get established. Now I have so many pods I don't worry about that. I am fond of this particular scape as it does encourage most of the particles to collect in one easy to syphon spot. I should still move coral and macros to baste under them however.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone, I noticed that Sammy's pouch is rather full looking but he is not pumping or opening it. Also he was dancing with Eve 2 days ago so I am wondering if they had a successful egg exchange. Another sign that he may be pregnant is he is staying hitched more in hidden places. I will keep you all updated as I should know for sure in the next 2 weeks. I will not be raising these fry as my life has enough responsibilities, so I will give them away.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh fantastic! good luck. I totally understand about not wanting to raise them, as much as I like the idea of a M/F pair I just cant commit to the fry and to know there just gonna get sucked up by the skimmer has me thinking of same sex pairs.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Daniel.
Yes, I used to use photobucket so when they changed I switched to flickr. I couldn't figure out how to get it to post a pic from my tablet so I tried imgur. Neither one seems to give me the option of imbedding the pic or I just have not figured it out yet. I have been travelling a lot and have not spent much time working on it. I wll take all the suggestions I can get though.
I'm honestly not sure on specifics for those services. Maybe someone else from the #mods team or #reefsquad has experience. I do know you can direct upload the pics which might be helpful? I direct upload mine.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photobucket hack: Change the URL of the Photobucket link to add ~original at the end, and the picture will show on the forums.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh fantastic! good luck. I totally understand about not wanting to raise them, as much as I like the idea of a M/F pair I just cant commit to the fry and to know there just gonna get sucked up by the skimmer has me thinking of same sex pairs.
There are usually folks that you can give the fry to.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back