Day 1 in Grand Cayman Island

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20230320_225926579.jpg

Maybe I should be getting my CUC from here!

Today we visited the Cayman Turtle Center, where they have a large hatchery and release operation. Got to swim with the turtles for a few hours!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nMDr7YDUzPxeX6hp9

Tomorrow off to the reefs and stingray area! Will add some photos if I can get any good ones on the GoPro!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those kids might like some Tortuga Carribean Rum Cake! Chocolate is best imo.

Keep an eye out for the Blue Iguana's that roam the island. Have fun!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Day 2:

What is this!?
GOPR2393.JPG

3-shots from this spot with an unknown blue tang-like fish:
GOPR2427.JPG

GOPR2428.JPG

GOPR2429.JPG

Love the sea fans and gorgonians!
GOPR2420.JPG

Something like schooling bannerfish (?):
GOPR2430.JPG

Braaaaains:
GOPR2419.JPG

And sadly, looks like the reefs are suffering some significant die-off:
GOPR2408.JPG

More to come. Still have the sea turtles and stingrays and videos to load!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a large needlefish, banded butterflyfish, and atlantic blue tang. I used to scuba dive around the carribean a lot, really is amazing. See any large queen angelfish yet?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a large needlefish, banded butterflyfish, and atlantic blue tang. I used to scuba dive around the carribean a lot, really is amazing. See any large queen angelfish yet?
What am I looking for? My knowledge of angelfish is next to nil

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video is still not uploaded, but here's a photo of a turtle at the Cayman Turtle Centre. Spent over an hour swimming with these guys. Amazing creatures. Not wild, of course, but still a clean operation they are running, from what I could see.

PXL_20230320_152924419.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Day 2:

What is this!?
GOPR2393.JPG

3-shots from this spot with an unknown blue tang-like fish:
GOPR2427.JPG

GOPR2428.JPG

GOPR2429.JPG

Love the sea fans and gorgonians!
GOPR2420.JPG

Something like schooling bannerfish (?):
GOPR2430.JPG

Braaaaains:
GOPR2419.JPG

And sadly, looks like the reefs are suffering some significant die-off:
GOPR2408.JPG

More to come. Still have the sea turtles and stingrays and videos to load!
They have been hit hard by SCTLD.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're most likely to see french angels
That is stunning. I'm sure I would remember that. Still a few days left, so maybe will get to see one!

I just find it amazing to swim among these reefs now that I know some of what I'm looking at. I've been to the great barrier reef, other spots in Caribbean, Thailand, off the coast of Mozambique... All before starting with this hobby. The most I knew back then was a giant clam when I saw one, which I now know were gigas!

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend, if you are still there...you must absolutely and positively get you and your family on the Jitney Bus and tell the driver to take you to Cemetery Beach. Once you get dropped off there, walk about a 1/4 mile to the grocery store, buy some cat food and zip lock bags, fill bags with cat food and head back to Cemetery Beach.

Yes, you will walk down a side trail through an actual Cemetery with raised coffins, but when you get to the beach area, it's wonderful.

The beach area has huge trees for shade and storage...then you simply walk out and begin your Snorkeling adventure...it's an actual Marine Park...and you will see tons of fish/coral within 100 to 200 yards....toss cat food in water, even at 50yds...the fish go nuts!

Thank me Later!

P

Last edited:

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a place, permanently closed now...Breezes Grand Cayman...best Cat 5 Hurricanes ever, but you and the family should still be able to get a pic with the Legend of Big Black Dick....it's funny but true...he was an actual pirate

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend, if you are still there...you must absolutely and positively get you and your family on the Jitney Bus and tell the driver to take you to Cemetery Beach. Once you get dropped off there, walk about a 1/4 mile to the grocery store, buy some cat food and zip lock bags, fill bags with cat food and head back to Cemetery Beach.

Yes, you will walk down a side trail through an actual Cemetery with raised coffins, but when you get to the beach area, it's wonderful.

The beach area has huge trees for shade and storage...then you simply walk out and begin your Snorkeling adventure...it's an actual Marine Park...and you will see tons of fish/coral within 100 to 200 yards....toss cat food in water, even at 50yds...the fish go nuts!

Thank me Later!

P
Roger that! I'll let you know how Operation Dead Cat goes! Do I need a Jitney Bus to get there or can I take my rental?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank me Later!

P
I would recommend Smith Cove instead. Much more to see in shallower water/closer to the shore, especially with kiddos.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend Smith Cove instead. Much more to see in shallower water/closer to the shore, especially with kiddos.
Heading there shortly, gopro and cat food at the ready :) just a little, don't want to cause a parameter spike!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heading there shortly, gopro and cat food at the ready :) just a little, don't want to cause a parameter spike!
DO NOT try to feed the fish while you're in the water! Seriously, they will swarm you, grab the bag of food, and go into a frenzy! (Ask me how I know!! Lol)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back