Day 10: Still reading zeros and algae ? (Pic) Water change?

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Background info: 72 gallon bowfront started with 80 lbs of live cured rock directly from LFS and 80 lbs of live Fiji pink sand. Have tested every day and have had zeros every day. Water is with 5 chamber RO DI system and instant ocean salt. 1.25 salinity kept at 78 degrees with a HOB octopus 100 protein skimmer. 1250 GPH.

The tank has been up for 10 days now. Day 4 two clowns were introduced. Still zeros every day. There are 5 hermits and 7 turbo snails. 2 mithrax crabs and several brittle stars. Introduced more copepods 2 days ago after I saw some at night.

There is a bit of green hair algae on the back but I have stopped using the blue setting at night hoping that will clear it up. Seems to have already helped the substrate.

My theory is I don’t need to do a water change until I read more nitrates? Thoughts? The more I read the more I believe I will absolutely not see a cycle especially knowing the live rock I used seemed to be packed with life and no die off.

Should I add anything else in the near future?

Thanks for any replies!

Nate

ADB1CA15-E523-4D5E-81B6-5269BB4BC254.jpeg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probaly correct yes.

I’d look at more snails and cuc.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probaly correct yes.

I’d look at more snails and cuc.

I am thinking more snails, too. Thanks! The girl at my LFS told me to do a water change for the algae, too. Phosphates are also almost unreadable so I would rather not do a water change and let the biology continue as long as possible.

michael giordano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to get a cycle, just because the rock is cured does not mean you won’t get a cycle. You are probably fine to add another fish every other week for the next two months. That’s what I would do and then after that start adding coral and keep your light cycle to a minimum until the coral is added. Add some bacteria like dr Tim’s to the tank over the next week and let things take there time

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to get a cycle, just because the rock is cured does not mean you won’t get a cycle. You are probably fine to add another fish every other week for the next two months. That’s what I would do and then after that start adding coral and keep your light cycle to a minimum until the coral is added. Add some bacteria like dr Tim’s to the tank over the next week and let things take there time
If the live rock was wet and cured , it was loaded with bacteria. So likely little to no die off , and this no ammonia. So it’s cycling.
If you mean an ugly phase. Of yes.
The bacteria is a good call too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back