Day 11 of salt tank

AdamR0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 11 of my 20 gallon long, I do have some Zoanthids already but I was told not to run my lights to avoid algea , will they die if I give them 5-6 hours of light a day only ? And other tips for a beginner like me?
20230131_193014.jpg

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 11 of my 20 gallon long, I do have some Zoanthids already but I was told not to run my lights to avoid algea , will they die if I give them 5-6 hours of light a day only ? And other tips for a beginner like me?
20230131_193014.jpg
They need 8-10 hrs of lightning for best growth. They also need Slightly dirty water so u may not find success with them in new tanks. If u r fear of algae growth then u can give them 6 hrs which can satisfy them but personally I prefer 8 hrs min.

OP
OP
AdamR0331

AdamR0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need 8-10 hrs of lightning for best growth. They also need Slightly dirty water so u may not find success with them in new tanks. If u r fear of algae growth then u can give them 6 hrs which can satisfy them but personally I prefer 8 hrs min.

Sounds good to me , I've heard also that natural sunlight can help them out also ?

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
There are so many little details about beginning a reef tank that it's impossible to put it all in one post. My advice would be to read a few threads written by first timers. There will be many discussions about the more common issues faced in reefing. Also some of the more popular YouTube channels, such as BRS have decent set up guides and can also guide you through individual aspects of reefing.

You really should have a solid plan for the tank's evolution, from first fill to adding livestock, before you throw anything in.

What else have you done in this last eleven days? What is your filtration set up? What lights do you have and how high are they mounted above the water?
All these details help people here give advice based on what you have and what you are likely able to achieve.

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure that they like sunlight but mine seem happy in summers when I give them sunligjt

OP
OP
AdamR0331

AdamR0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
There are so many little details about beginning a reef tank that it's impossible to put it all in one post. My advice would be to read a few threads written by first timers. There will be many discussions about the more common issues faced in reefing. Also some of the more popular YouTube channels, such as BRS have decent set up guides and can also guide you through individual aspects of reefing.

You really should have a solid plan for the tank's evolution, from first fill to adding livestock, before you throw anything in.

What else have you done in this last eleven days? What is your filtration set up? What lights do you have and how high are they mounted above the water?
All these details help people here give advice based on what you have and what you are likely able to achieve.
Hi Thank you for typing this out , i have been going thru Reef2Reef.com and watching BRS also
my current setup is a
20 long
2X Ai prime 16
fluval 307 Canister
and about 15 lbs of marco rock
and live carib sea sand

my plan for the tank is soft corals and some lps mainly just go get some color into the tank and maby 2 small fish

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can also cut back on the white spectrum and give the zoas enough blue spectrum to keep them happy and keep the algae low, but you will never avoid algae completely - as you see some be ready with a couple of trochus...

small red legged hermit(s) and nassarius fed lightly would help with nutrients

Good luck, sharp looking set up

OP
OP
AdamR0331

AdamR0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can also cut back on the white spectrum and give the zoas enough blue spectrum to keep them happy and keep the algae low, but you will never avoid algae completely - as you see some be ready with a couple of trochus...

small red legged hermit(s) and nassarius fed lightly would help with nutrients

Good luck, sharp looking set up
I only run my Whites at 15-19ish % just enough where its comfortale with eye , might increase the blues a little bit more

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a close eye on the canister filter. The first tank I started with three years ago was a 29gal with a fluval 207. Filter system works fine but as you've prob seen others mention the sponges inside collects and holds a lot of detritus. I had a hard time keeping nitrates down, just make sure you keep those sponges clean. Sharp looking tank, love the setup :)

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoiding algae and hitchhikers in a reef tank is as likely as avoiding taxes.

I've just upgraded from a canister filter setup (see my build thread.) As hoffmeyerz said, nitrates are a constant battle and without a sump changing water is the only weapon in your arsenal.

Last edited:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously mentioned you are not avoiding algae the way you are doing it ( I’m not saying it is wrong) you are delaying algae. A lot of people have lights on from day one to deal with the uglies early when it’s easier with out corals and with worrying about corals being smothered.

OP
OP
AdamR0331

AdamR0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously mentioned you are not avoiding algae the way you are doing it ( I’m not saying it is wrong) you are delaying algae. A lot of people have lights on from day one to deal with the uglies early when it’s easier with out corals and with worrying about corals being smothered.

Should I begin running my lights as pleased and just let the algea come early on??

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back