Day 12 cycle 0.25ppm ammonia 5ppm nitrite 10 nitrate

John mango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, im on day 12 of my cycle using dry rock and dosing dr tims ammonia and microbacter7. I tested yesterday got 0.25ppm ammonia 5ppm nitrite 10 ppm nitrate. So i dosed to 2ppm ammonia. 24hrs later my readings are 0.25ppm ammonia 5ppm nitrite 10ppm nitrate. Should i carry on dosing ammonia until my nitrites drop to zero or have i done something wrong.

Thanks

OP
OP
J

John mango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

John mango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep following the directions for that one then.
i am doing just was worried as the ammonia is leaving quickly. obviously the bacteria that turns the nitrite into nitrate isnt fully established yet. but was just after an opinion of somebody who has more experience, that im doing the right things.

thank you for your reply :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s one of the worst cycling articles I’ve ever seen.

not saying that Blaxsun just to disagree, I read it and the first option they mention is unassisted fish in cycling, meaning add fish, no bottle bac, and let them burn through a succession of filter establishment.

I had to stop reading that resource in first paragraph because it won’t beat mine :)

*I realize the article gives other cycling options but it’s dated as written, it’s not specific. It gives crazy options

unassisted fish in cycling is totally inhumane, a real cycling ump wields science that a trove of seneye owners won‘t debate is safe timing for all fish carry.

What we do in the following thread is give an exact start date to safely carry fish and when inspected by any valid testing means, our start date assignments will pass. We stole them from cycling charts known for 80 years is how we keep getting lucky

by day ten of submersion, we see on cycling charts inherently controlled ammonia. We always use that stewing date in our thread and this tank here is beyond ten days.

better results, better science:

for 31 pages we name the exact start date of any reef posting, and you tell me how it’s tuning out

-it’s all Dr Tims bottle bac cycles mostly, making us fairly matched to this particular cycle analysis.

we look for day ten or beyond for wait times

we use no testing, none, we use days waited compared to the ammonia drop line of a cycling chart.

we get seneye inspected and tested a few times, complete pass for ammonia control using out method.

this tank is cycled. Change some water for a pure start, and add fish only as part of your disease control plan. Your tank is able to carry several fish, we show.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, from our thread, we only need to see a pic of your tank to finalize your start date, it’s what we do for 31 pages multi cycles on file

when asking for tank pics I’m making sure there’s been a pile of rocks stewing this whole time, that’s the surface area the contact time is 100% certain to coat in filtration bacteria. The method cannot fail, wait till we get to page 75 with no fails, then 100 etc.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

not saying that Blaxsun just to disagree, I read it and the first option they mention is unassisted fish in cycling, meaning add fish, no bottle bac, and let them burn through a succession of filter establishment.
I skimmed through it, and yeah - it definitely leaves something to be desired.I just BIO-Spira my tanks now with existing rock. I probably don't need the BIO-Spira, but I tend to have a lot of fish so it certainly doesn't hurt...

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, that’s more of a blog type entry and while we really could cycle with those options the writer isn’t very reflective of today’s trending. All cyclers know to use bottle bac yay :)

and those major strains like you mention are able out the gate.

12 days implantation wait time is ideal if the rocks are stacked.

proposal for new cycling blog:

reef tank cycling= focus all our efforts on disease prevention (disease preps from Jays forum having nothing to do with cycling, fallow and quarantine)

Forget worrying about ammonia, if you’re transferring rocks from one tank to another that’s a skip cycle, if you’re using Dr Tims, Biospira, Fritz or ATM you’re good as soon as it’s dumped in (seneye studies show in detail) and if you’re buying ocean rocks you need to allow curing time before adding to a display. That’s the only type of cycling you’ll ever see, focus on disease prevention.

it’s true a small percent of shipped bottle bac are dead. The incidence is so small ive never seen it happen not once in any cycle thread I’ve ever been in and clearly I link them all. To be perfectly safe from dead bottles, that’s why we do feed + 10+ days wait. That’s enough natural implantation time to make up for dead bac, says any cycle chart. Day ten after feeding is really a magical time in filter establishment

nitrite doesn’t factor in reefing any longer John M. Your tank is ready, do a water change, but consider disease preps first before fish

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

John mango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had to stop reading that resource in first paragraph because it won’t beat mine :)

*I realize the article gives other cycling options but it’s dated as written, it’s not specific. It gives crazy options

unassisted fish in cycling is totally inhumane, a real cycling ump wields science that a trove of seneye owners won‘t debate is safe timing for all fish carry.

What we do in the following thread is give an exact start date to safely carry fish and when inspected by any valid testing means, our start date assignments will pass. We stole them from cycling charts known for 80 years is how we keep getting lucky

by day ten of submersion, we see on cycling charts inherently controlled ammonia. We always use that stewing date in our thread and this tank here is beyond ten days.

better results, better science:

for 31 pages we name the exact start date of any reef posting, and you tell me how it’s tuning out

-it’s all Dr Tims bottle bac cycles mostly, making us fairly matched to this particular cycle analysis.

we look for day ten or beyond for wait times

we use no testing, none, we use days waited compared to the ammonia drop line of a cycling chart.

we get seneye inspected and tested a few times, complete pass for ammonia control using out method.

this tank is cycled. Change some water for a pure start, and add fish only as part of your disease control plan. Your tank is able to carry several fish, we show.
i have only followed the fishless cycle. regardless of how you would have done it( im not being funny). i ve started with live sand, dry rock which doesnt need curing. doctor tims ammonium chloride and microbacter7. i appricate what you are telling me but im already in the cycle. im new to this and you obviously know a lot more about it. should i carry on or start again?

thank you

20220617_000033.jpg 20220617_000045.jpg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have only followed the fishless cycle. regardless of how you would have done it( im not being funny). i ve started with live sand, dry rock which doesnt need curing. doctor tims ammonium chloride and microbacter7. i appricate what you are telling me but im already in the cycle. im new to this and you obviously know a lot more about it. should i carry on or start again?

thank you

20220617_000033.jpg 20220617_000045.jpg
Any particular reason why you went with microbacter7? Are you aware that you need a different approach wend using this product

OP
OP
J

John mango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason why you went with microbacter7?
only because i wanted to add bacteria but didnt want to use the likes of xlmstart or dr tims one and only, didnt want to cycle that quick. thought adding microbacter7 which is dormant bacteria would be better than than the quicker

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only because i wanted to add bacteria but didnt want to use the likes of xlmstart or dr tims one and only, didnt want to cycle that quick. thought adding microbacter7 which is dormant bacteria would be better than than the quicker
I understand although you are using heterotrophic bacteria that will need a small amount of phosphates to be able to colonise the tank properly. Have you got a phosphates test kit?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. We didn't list mb7 above as a ten day bottle bac

When I read dr tims I thought u meant his bacteria.

Knowing this bacteria is in play lol wait twenty total days then you're good. Longer implantation time for slower bacteria. That's good surface area, wait longer to day 20. Put in one ground up pinch of flake food today, ground into powder. This carbon boost will speed things nicely. Wait till day twenty.

How i arrived there: fish food alone and no bacteria will cycle fully by day 30 wait, we have the threads. Mb7 is slow but it's not nonfunctional... double the typical wait time is just right after some ground up fish food was added

I would never use those parameter kits for any cycle they'll only mislead you. All we do is adjust # of days wait per a cycle chart. Even if you dosed no bacteria and did feed only, in 30 days time its done just the same. It's not about what those cheap test kits say cycling start date discernment is a matter of wait time adjustment.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. We didn't list mb7 above as a ten day bottle bac

When I read dr tims I thought u meant his bacteria.

Knowing this bacteria is in play lol wait twenty total days then you're good. Longer implantation time for slower bacteria. That's good surface area, wait longer to day 20. Put in one ground up pinch of flake food today, ground into powder. This carbon boost will speed things nicely. Wait till day twenty.

How i arrived there: fish food alone and no bacteria will cycle fully by day 30 wait, we have the threads. Mb7 is slow but it's not nonfunctional... double the typical wait time is just right after some ground up fish food was added

I would never use those parameter kits for any cycle they'll only mislead you. All we do is adjust # of days wait per a cycle chart. Even if you dosed no bacteria and did feed only, in 30 days time its done just the same. It's not about what those cheap test kits say cycling start date discernment is a matter of wait time adjustment.
Agree with that, microbacter7 bacteria is different from the commonly used nitrifying autotrophic bacteria, they need a source of organic carbon and phosphates in addition to ammonia to be able to function properly some fish food will do the trick as it contains all nutrients needed to get the bacteria going.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 140 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.3%
Back