day 4 of the newbie crash....help with rest of coral

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, its day 4 of the crash...not really much I can do at this point. ended up loosing 4 fish and an anemone. My spouse feels soooooo bad considering it was the anem that started the bio overload. Im taking it as a learning experience. At least something like this happened now with $230 worth of fish and not 1500 or more. they way i look at it is it could have been 10000 times worse, best i can do is learn from it and move on. And with that said, in a last ditch effort to save any life left over i did a 35% WC. levels at

75g Display tank

ph 7.6
amonia .25
niterite .25
nitrate - 0

in my last ditch effort i actually have a small 30 gallon tank that i was just finishing cycling for a quarantine tank i put the anemone into this hoping that he will make it through the tank still have some nitrates but ill take it over the ammonia/niterite...but its not looking good.

30g tank

ph 8.2
amonia .25
niterite 0
niterate 0

i can pretty much guarantee that i will never allow this to happen again, whoever hasn't listened to experienced people in the beginning with the advice to be patient is an idiot like i am and should just wait...if you think your ready to put in stock you should probably wait another month or two.

any other advice on how i can save the corals which look okay now but i can tell they arent happy ....no bleaching yet but i bet in the next day or two they will start.

oscargrumete61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my 20 gl , 5 months old and not even thinking to add and anemone. I have just 3 fishes some zoas , 2 hammers 1 frogspawn, that is it getting trouble with magnesiumand calcium , but adding supp so not big deal
247c108791cf865b4dfbb7aa9c9f4358.jpg

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome yeah the spouse tried to make it a surprise little to his dismay it obliterated my system

oscargrumete61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby steps in this hobby , when i am in the awuarium store i want to
Buy all the corals , its hard

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right! Well lesson learned...rather it be now then 4 years down the road

OP
OP
NicLongman

NicLongman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay i need help to TRY to save my coral...the sps went up in flame literally.....well not but you know i only had 2 frags so its not a biggie....
so here are the stats on each of my tanks right now the 75 display and my 30g quarantine. Now tell me if i have this right, to me the 75 gallon is either cycled but theres no nitrates or its done cycling. And the 30g is finishing the cycling process. Which would you put the coral into for the best chance of survival. Please, I really appreciate everyones input but the one thing I dont need to hear is how young or new or whatever my tank is. and how i should have waiting......because i know this..really, i do. Thank

75g .
pH-7.4
NH3 - 1
NO2- 0
NO3- 0

30g
pH-8.4-8.8 i cant tell really the color difference
NH3- .25 or less
NO2- 0
NO3- 40

Thomthom329

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your tank.

If you still have ammonia in either tank, neither will work as they are both cycling. Best bet is to take them to your LFS or have a friend with an established tank to hold. If that's not an option, add Dr Tim's or Biospira to help accelerate the cycle but it likely won't be fast enough. You could try Amquel as well to reduce the ammonia.

That said, I'm surprised a 5 month old tank crashed the way it did just by adding an anemone, unless it died. I'd look for another cause.

Thomthom329

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmed over your other thread and you should heed the advice of others... Temp stop feeding, get new tests (API are not reliable regardless of how many times you test - I'd suggest Salifert or Red Sea), add nitrifying bacteria/ammonia absorber, larger water changes (change 50% or more, continuously (daily) until ammonia is 0 and stays that way). By the way, water carries little good bacteria compared to all the surfaces in your tank so don't be afraid of larger water changes.

Back