Dazzle me with your active, visible fish suggestions! :) For a 30g

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Looking for either a trio of cheap fish or one or two moderately priced fish that will stay visible in the water column and are hardy / long-lived. Suggestions? I've searched a lot and have probably heard of all the fish you'll suggest, but nothing really stands out as colorful, good swimmers, and interesting. If you have good personal experiences with some, I'd love to hear your recommendations!

Tank is an IM30L (so 36" long), so there's more swimming room than a small cube. I currently have a firefish, tailspot blenny, yellow watchman (rarely seen), and a mandarin dragonet. Oh, and it's primarily an anemone / softie tank with some shrimp. So they need to be moderately reef safe.
I also have a 120g, 65 (selling soon), and another 30g, so my bigger fish are in the 120.

Would it be crazy to keep a dwarf angelfish? Or a small butterfly? Thoughts on any that would be okay with softies?

Thanks!
--Kyle

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streaked wrasse! I have one in a 30l and he/she doesn't stay in the water column all of the time but it's by far my favorite fish.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flasher wrasses?

I've actually thought about a Pink-Streaked Wrasse (corrected this - not Pink Margin). Small and pretty. I might get one later, but right now I'm worried it would steal all the Mandarin's food! :) But yes, good suggestion (although most flashers would want more room to swim).
--Kyle

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streaked wrasse! I have one in a 30l and he/she doesn't stay in the water column all of the time but it's by far my favorite fish.

Haha, yes! As I just mentioned, I would like one! But I think I will wait a bit to add that one. My mandarin is eating frozen, but he's so slow to get the food!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink margin is a pretty large fairy wrasse I wouldnt chose that one. Pintail is smaller and would be great. No fairy wrasse will be too hard on Your pod population, they are planktivores.

Fang blenny is another suggestion.

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack the thread but I’m looking for active fish suggestions for my 32g Fiji Cube as well. Only have two clowns and a firefish planned so far (have the firefish, clowns are coming soon)

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink margin is a pretty large fairy wrasse I wouldnt chose that one. Pintail is smaller and would be great. No fairy wrasse will be too hard on Your pod population, they are planktivores.

Fang blenny is another suggestion.

Yep, I edited that post. I had the wrong name. Pink Streaked is what I meant. I'd been considering the Pink Margin for my 120g :)
I have seen a green canary blenny and in person it was a lot prettier than I expected! So those are ones I'd consider... Are they very peaceful though?
--Kyle

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes fang blennies are peaceful.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streaked will be a pod eating machine.

There are other small fairies that are cheaper than pintails.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackline is my favorite fangblenny. Forktail, canary and lined are nice also. No problem with them being fed once per day.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pair of clownfish and a purple dartfish/ purple goby if you have a lid. also a sandsifter if you cant get the dartfish.

I know it seems crazy, but I don't like clownfish much. Especially since they tend to be mean and territorial. I do have an ocellaris and he bites me all the time, LOL. I do have a lid, and the purple firefish would be nice, but also kind of similar to my regular firefish. I've also thought about a Rainford Goby, but not sure...

Blackline is my favorite fangblenny. Forktail, canary and lined are nice also. No problem with them being fed once per day.

Good to hear! I think I'm going to get one. :) Thanks for the suggestion,
--Kyle

Thomthom329

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Looking for either a trio of cheap fish or one or two moderately priced fish that will stay visible in the water column and are hardy / long-lived. Suggestions? I've searched a lot and have probably heard of all the fish you'll suggest, but nothing really stands out as colorful, good swimmers, and interesting. If you have good personal experiences with some, I'd love to hear your recommendations!

Tank is an IM30L (so 36" long), so there's more swimming room than a small cube. I currently have a firefish, tailspot blenny, yellow watchman (rarely seen), and a mandarin dragonet. Oh, and it's primarily an anemone / softie tank with some shrimp. So they need to be moderately reef safe.
I also have a 120g, 65 (selling soon), and another 30g, so my bigger fish are in the 120.

Would it be crazy to keep a dwarf angelfish? Or a small butterfly? Thoughts on any that would be okay with softies?

Thanks!
--Kyle

I’m a Chromis fan but it may take a bunch to find a trio or more that will tolerate each other. I started with 8, and am
Left with 3 but they are model citizens now and quite big and fat, and very playful.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank raised trio of Kamohara Blennies. They are black and silver striped. They are always out and active and very peaceful. They are not fussy eaters at all.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back