Dazzle me with your active, visible fish suggestions! :) For a 30g

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may seem odd but how about a file fish? Most think of them for aipstasia relief but I always found them fun to watch as they are very unique and never bothered any other fish. Kind of like a lawnmower Benny that never gets old despite not having bright colors, makes up in other ways and two of my favorite.

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinals are a great option for that size tank. They might not swim much but they stay out in the open and since they don't move much they don’t contribute as much bio load as other options. Not to mention they are cheap so It is easy to add a trio.

NanoBoxes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA White Spotted Filefish...constantly swimming and exploring, very inquisitive, eats like a pig, and leaves my corals alone

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may seem odd but how about a file fish? ...
ORA White Spotted Filefish

Yeah, I agree a filefish could be cool. Not a lot of color, but a unique fish... Not sure how safe they would be in a softie / nem tank though.

Cardinals are a great option for that size tank.

I had a trio of Kaudern's / Banggai awhile back. One bullied the other two though and only he survived. :( I'm thinking about a single Pajama though to go with the Blackline Blenny that I might get.

what about a zebra goby? Had a trio of them and loved them! very active!

Yeah, I've considered them too. Also thought I might get a couple of them for my 120g sometime.

+1 I have a pair of zebra gobies...
Also have you thought about any of the peaceful damsels like yellow tail, Talbot's, etc?

I don't like damsels much (and so many of them are mean). Even the more peaceful ones dart around so much they seem like they'd be intimidating!

Pygmy angel?

Well, I edited my original post to ask about the idea of a pygmy angel. But I haven't heard any responses. My tank is a little small for them, but they stay small too... My biggest concern is them going after my soft corals (I won't really keep LPS in this tank). Any pygmy angels that would be safe with BTAs, rock flower nems, zoas, and mushrooms? Thanks everyone!
--Kyle

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I agree a filefish could be cool. Not a lot of color, but a unique fish... Not sure how safe they would be in a softie / nem tank though.

I had a trio of Kaudern's / Banggai awhile back. One bullied the other two though and only he survived. :( I'm thinking about a single Pajama though to go with the Blackline Blenny that I might get.

Yeah, I've considered them too. Also thought I might get a couple of them for my 120g sometime.

I don't like damsels much (and so many of them are mean). Even the more peaceful ones dart around so much they seem like they'd be intimidating!

Well, I edited my original post to ask about the idea of a pygmy angel. But I haven't heard any responses. My tank is a little small for them, but they stay small too... My biggest concern is them going after my soft corals (I won't really keep LPS in this tank). Any pygmy angels that would be safe with BTAs, rock flower nems, zoas, and mushrooms? Thanks everyone!
--Kyle
I have a Royal Gramma that is not only beautiful, but very active and has a great personality. He is a good eater and gets along with everyone, too. He cracks me up with his "expressions" and how he looks at me. Love that little guy!

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend everyone keeping a 6 line wrass in their tank. They are very entertaining to watch and pound for pound what I consider the most important fish to have.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scizzortail gobi. Very cheap and stays out and is active most of the time. Not bad looking either.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Royal Gramma that is not only beautiful, but very active and has a great personality. He is a good eater and gets along with everyone, too. He cracks me up with his "expressions" and how he looks at me. Love that little guy!

I have one of these in my 120g. Certainly a cool fish with color and personality.

I recommend everyone keeping a 6 line wrass in their tank. They are very entertaining to watch and pound for pound what I consider the most important fish to have.

Ugh, really? They're mean (and I inherited one in another 30g I have). Pink Streaked wrasse has the same benefits but is peaceful. :)

Scizzortail gobi. Very cheap and stays out and is active most of the time. Not bad looking either.

Yeah, not a bad option. I think I'd prefer the zerbra barred dartfish though. Thanks!
--Kyle

OceansinAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the chromis. I love the way the flash bright green under the light. I have three and they are always visible. I added my three at the same time and not had any issues with them fighting. Also, they are very cheap

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt recommend a dwarf angel in this setup, but a starkii damsel makes a nice substitute that would be worth considering.

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack the thread but I’m looking for active fish suggestions for my 32g Fiji Cube as well. Only have two clowns and a firefish planned so far (have the firefish, clowns are coming soon)
I have two small Mocha clownfish, three Bangaii cardinal fish, and a Midas blenny in my Bio cube 32. (The stripped puffer was only in the tank for a couple of days)

693BA916-9829-4050-963F-51B75493F8ED.jpeg D202CC1A-D182-4271-AAB9-AA12EA173952.jpeg

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinals are a great option for that size tank. They might not swim much but they stay out in the open and since they don't move much they don’t contribute as much bio load as other options. Not to mention they are cheap so It is easy to add a trio.
My three hang out together and are always visible.

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis are awesome but could risk becoming aggressive with each other in that tank size. My only experience is in my 210g after about 3 years I have 7 of the original 15 but those 7 left don’t squabble.

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias get big, but are one of the most active fish. Just make sure you have good enough nutrient export any time to be able to feed them a few times a day, when staying out.

If there’s a small size fairy wrasse, they wound be good.

You’re really not going to have many active swimmers that will be happy in a 30gallon, because they’re active swimmers.

NanoBoxes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

--Kyle
I have a pygmy angel in my other tank, totally forgot about it....in a IM 40g Fusion...and its a mixed tank with all kinds of coral-softies, lps, and sps- along with 4 rock nems and he doesn't bother any of them. Nips every once in a while but nothing serious and everything is healthy. Very active and colorful and would do well in your sized tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back