DC air or water pump experts needed for solar pond aeration

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bit off topic for reefing, but uses the same equipment, so I'm hoping I can get some advice.

We have a spring fed pond on our property that is about 90 feet in diameter. It was originally 8 feet deep when made in 1960, but my measures show it closer to 4 feet now (surrounded by trees that launch leaves into it every fall...)

It presently has no aeration, and I'm not eager to trench hundreds of feet from the house to lay electric or air lines, so I'm looking to get a little solar setup. Obviously, I could go with a multi-thousand dollar commercial system that would certainly do the job, but what I'm thinking of trying is to get more motion in at least one small part of the pond for a few hundred dollars using a DIY solar panel, and either an air pump or a water pump to create some aeration.

Sound is a big factor, since my wife cherishes the quite at the pond, so a buzzing, grinding pump sound is a no go. I was thinking of either a DC powerhead (quiet, but will clog) or a DC air pump (maybe buried into the ground with air holes to deaden sound).

I could go the inverter route and use AC, but was hoping to avoid the power loss, etc.). I wasn't thinking to use a battery for storage, just running when direct sun is on the panel (maybe 6 h in summer).

Any thoughts on whether this is likely to be beneficial and/or feasible, and what equipment might be best is appreciated.

FWIW, there are no apparent fish in the pond, probably because the two big snapping turtles in it would eat them (they also keep the water fairly muddy when they are active). Lots of frogs of several types, and thousands of wood frog tadpoles in early spring, crayfish are there, which river otters seemed to be feasting on one day last summer.

Thanks in advance. :)

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you can figure out how to keep it clean and clear a DC needle wheel pump for a protein skimmer would fit the bill. I’m sure there’s inexpensive ones you could mess around with and get to work for your pond.

Koleswrath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear good things about the Coleman portable solar units for RV's. I would just run an AC air pump off one of those. Costco sells them up here in Canada so returns are easy if you get a lemon. I have an Aquascape air pump that I use all year for my pond. It survives winter in Alberta - no small feat.
I keep mine in a small rubbermaid bin that dampens the noise and provides protection from the elements.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If sun and wind hits the pond, it should have enough gas exchange. What more are you wanting to do?

Check amazon for solar pond aerators. See if one will meet your needs. Price from $20 to many thousands of dollars.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If sun and wind hits the pond, it should have enough gas exchange. What more are you wanting to do?

Check amazon for solar pond aerators. See if one will meet your needs. Price from $20 to many thousands of dollars.

Thanks. I was hoping for one in between the little koi pond ones on amazon and the big boys for acre sized ponds. :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear good things about the Coleman portable solar units for RV's. I would just run an AC air pump off one of those. Costco sells them up here in Canada so returns are easy if you get a lemon. I have an Aquascape air pump that I use all year for my pond. It survives winter in Alberta - no small feat.
I keep mine in a small rubbermaid bin that dampens the noise and provides protection from the elements.

I'd need an inverter for that, but it may be the way to go. :)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy -

You are looking at 150,000 gallons give or take. There is no "smallish" pump that is going to do much for that.

If mosquitoes area problem, then surface agitation will help and that may take several fountain pumps to create surface ripples. Even at that, the pumps will need to be decent sized. Jebao does make large DC pond pumps, but I am not sure the wattage needed to drive a fountain head. For a 90' pound, I am assuming 2-3 heads would be ideal and offer a bit of aeration as well as surface ripple.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alita is considered to be one of the best brands producing freshwater air pump.
It has a range of:
  • Linear Air pumps
  • DC Air pumps
  • Solar Powered Linear Air Pump:
    Ideal for remote unattended operation, ALITA PVM series linear air pumps can be powered directly with properly sized photovoltaic module(s) for off-grid and remote installations. Pump operation can be completely automated, require no third party charge controller or power control module."
I think they'd be able to find an air pump that works well with your situations.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a wholesale account with Alita - great pumps. I just don't see how much will be accomplished by anything reasonable sized, even if used with lift tubes to get water moving.

Is there a seating area or any need or use for a waterfall feature?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW if you do decide to go with air
Lift tubes (DIY) can move water well
Or simple bubblers with EPDM membranes. I am not sure how hard they are to find over 9" or 10" but AES (now owned by pentair) used to sell them at decent price.

delv2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking to slow do the rate of eutrophication in the pond? For a pond that big I think you'd need roughly 1/4 hp of aeration. Get some 200 watt solar panels and a matched air pump (under $500 for all of it) and mount the panels on a coffin that holds the air pump.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is just for mosquitos and the timeframe is limited to a few weeks or a month, then I used to run 3x 100 feet 14 guage extension cords down to my pond to run a Mag Drive in a floating fountain type of deal.

I eventually rented a trencher and buried 250 feet of underground 12/2 a few inches deep - probably not code but there was none where I lived and I put in a box down by the pond. This was a few hundred dollars all of those years ago.

Before that, I had a 2 or 2.5" gas water pump and just had it spray into the pond. I filled it up in the morning when I left for work and I just let it run out of gas. It only was 1/2 gallon of gas, but I kinda felt bad for the baby narwhals and stuff. You have to stake these down or they can walk on you and drain a few feet out of your pond - ask me how I know?

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll weigh in on the solar power side.
Assuming you are trying to keep this as cheap and simple as possible.
Find the largest used solar panel you can, something at least 300 watts
Purchase a MPPT solar charge controller rated for the VOC (voltage) of your solar panel(s).
Now the expensive part, you will need a fairly large 24v (most dc pumps are 24v) battery if you want your aeration to run 24/7. Lead acid 6v golf cart batteries wired in series are probably the least expensive option.
You will need various connectors and fuses, a weather resistant box to house everything, a way to mount the solar panel and a way to prevent the battery from over discharging.
If you don't want to run 24/7, there are ways to do this without the batteries as well.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted to spend $5K to save $11 a month in electricity ;)

In all seriousness... Maybe a small RV setup would be the most cost effective and all in could be done for $2k or less....

Last edited:

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used ac aerator pumps with diffusers out near the center of the pond. You will see in a couple months the difference in sludge breaking down especially if you add some bacteria for it. Solar options were always out of my price range.
20220826_174122.jpg

We have had pumps burn put on us in the past and the pond quickly fills with weeds and leaves again without the aerator. My pond is about 1/2 acre and runs anywhere between 6 and 8ft deep depending on the season and amount of rainfall were getting.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size pump do you run?

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little late to the tread, but are you dead set on an electrically powered system? Have you put any thought into one of those aeration windmills? You can purchase them commercially for a little over 1k, or if you have the carpentry/fabrication skills, you could probably diy one for a few hundred in materials.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back