DC Pumps: Ecotech vs. Royal Exclusiv vs. Abyzz

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vectras are good for smaller applications since 3100gph is max output. My L1 produces some heat too. For something like a closed loop I would want the 5,000+gph that Royal Exclusiv or Abyzz offers.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd honestly need more than one. If only for resolution. They calculate their deviation based on the max flow. So if it says +-2%, its 2% of 15000 GPH or +-300 GPH. A smaller one that maxes out at lower flow would give much tighter numbers. Plus, if we were testing them at simulated head pressures, necking down to a smaller pipe for a few inches wouldn't hurt. I think you would only need the larger one if you were testing larger pumps that you were going to utilize as closed loop pumps. They are $1,100 a piece though, plus $400 for the head unit to make them actually work.

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vectras are good for smaller applications since 3100gph is max output. My L1 produces some heat too. For something like a closed loop I would want the 5,000+gph that Royal Exclusiv or Abyzz offers.
Is your L1 running at 100%? I ask because mine is only at 50% but very cool.

I wonder how many vector users are using the restrictive plumbing or the larger plumbing adapters that allow larger input output plumbing. It definitely improves flow and may improve heat?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

I wonder how many vector users are using the restrictive plumbing or the larger plumbing adapters that allow larger input output plumbing. It definitely improves flow and may improve heat?

I used the larger fitting on my L1 and I used a infrared thermometer today and got 124 degrees. It's running at 100% steady flow.
Seems kind of warm.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea, I thought that was weird they included those compression fittings for shrink the pipe size down on a non pressure pump. Although the smaller plumbing would actually drop the heat produced. It seems counter intuitive, but when you increase head pressure on a pump it works easier, lowering the wattage and the heat produced.

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No restrictive plumbing sizes nor are there a bunch of 90s in the closed loop to cause excess friction. A member on another forum actually had both of his replaced by Ecotech because of heat warnings from the pumps. After replacement they still would throw warnings messages via ecosmart live. Vectras are the best DC pump you can buy that's packed with technology for under $500, but also very limited only being able to push 3100gph max. On a closed loop there is no static head pressure so that should have no bearing on heat produced by the pump

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For simple data I would use a kill a watt meter, pressure gage in front of a valve, and just time the pump pumping water into a large container for flow rates. It shouldn't be that hard. We're only looking at something like 1 to 45 gallons a minute, a 50/55 gal brute trash can water mixing station would work fine I think.

ADFLhe21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading up on this thread and researching pumps for a new build
I am having an 850+ gallon tank built its 120 x 48 x 36h flat back hex made with 1 inch acrylic
I am working on the plumbing and flow numbers trying to come to a realistic expectation, between affordable, quite (not just quieter than a pool pump, but like sleep next to it)
Really I want quite, and I also don't want to see wires in the Display Tank or ear muffs stuck to the sides..

The design will have a full length over flow - on the back of the tank ... about 119 x 6 x 18h over flow box which will have the drains
currently thinking of configuring 2 full bean animal drain setups in the overflow with 2inch plumbing
The Sump will be 72 x 36 x 18h with refugium, i am still thinking i need to make it taller to handle the power down draining of the pipes and overflow

I am looking for a full tank flow of ~10,000 gph to start
Expecting to setup the Sump to start at about 6,000 gph, future may be 9,000 gph
Initial thought was return pumps of either RedDrag 3 150w - (3 to start) or Abyzz A200 (2 to start)
-- the tank stand will be 42 inch tall so the head hight will be at least 2m for the returns
-- considering using eductors on the returns and closed loop

I am considering 2 x closed loops driven by RedDragon 80w to start, and possibly swaping to 150w version or bigger later
- also considering pushing the closed loop through at least one Oceans Motion to randomize the flow

Alternately i could probably add something like a single Panta Rhei ECM 42 or 63 .. but there is no documentation about actual dB level or vibrations.
I have heard a number of the drop in propeller pumps and they all have a low vibrarion / hum and that will make me pull my hair out over time.
I dont like hearing the refrigerator pop and make noise every few hours.. (yes ocd much)

Any input on sound level or vibrations for the closed loop or Panta Rhei i would appreciate.
I would prefer not to do the Panta Rhei but the water movement per watt is like 4 times that of the other pumps or more, so i cant rule it out.
- any one use the Panta Rhei and do they last and are they quite?

TheRealDmorty217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RD3 230 and couldn't be more pleased with the pump. I don't have any first hand experience with Abyzz but saw one in action at MACNA and was very impressed. They come with a 10 year warranty as I'm sure you already know. I can tell you my RD3 is completely silent and virtually cool to the touch no matter if it's at 50% or 100%. I don't think you can go wrong with either Abyzz or RD3. I can tell you the RD3 has EXCELLENT customer service as you would expect with a company like that

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Excellent thread! Great info on these pumps! This is one of the reasons I love the R2R community. There's so much good info in these conversations.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many know, I have criticized DC pumps in the past for use as a return pump. The primary reason is that because I feel they typically provide more points of failure. There is no way in heck that I would ever put my return pump on my Apex. Controlling the Vectra on an Apex gives you 5 points of failure. That's not cool IMO.

Living in CA, DC pumps are common place.

I have several friends with RD3s, and they love them. They are silent and powerful.

I have friends with Vectras. They are silent and powerful.

I have friends with Abyzz. They are silent and powerful.

It seems that the Abyzz is the best of the bunch at conquering head pressure. The more pressure/head, the more the Abyzz separates itself from the other 2. Plus the Abyzz has that 10 year warranty which shows that they are very confident in their product. I went with Abyzz.

I recently got to preview a new DC pump coming to market that will also be competing with these listed so the selection is getting harder.
What pump are u hinting at?

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ranking from hi to lo in term of price Abyzz, RD3, Vectra. Abyzz warranty for 10 yrs.

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather not at this time. Sorry.

I am going to guess the Cor. :)

I have been holding back my purchase on a DC pump for it to come out. It's getting frustrating on the wait, as the rumor release date keeps passing by. Last one was "this is a 2016 product" which was said by Neptune. There are two reason why I am not considering M1. One, I have heard they have a lot heat issues. Two, I refuse to buy from any company that blocks out Apex on purpose. The reason I want to control it, what if I am on vacation and the house sitter calls me and says something going on. After figuring out the problem, the temporary solution is to dial back the pump until I can get to it. Yes, an unlikely scenario, but I want that option.

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both an L1 and M1 for my 300DD. One for return and one to feed the reactors. They are extremely quiet and are easily controllable. Some very good points made on this thread but I built out this tank heavily with ecotech equipment. In additional to the L and M pumps, I have 2 MP 60's and 2 MP 40s for water movement on a predominate SPS tank. I also have 4 Gen 3 pros for lighting.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen any comparison pics throughout the six pages. I guess I will be the Guinne pig.
I purchased an Ecotech Vectra L1 with the intention of installing it on my tank. Due to all of the threads of heat and impeller issues as well as locking up I wasn't going to spin the wheel of chance. So I sold it at the first chance, used the money towards German made and went for the Royal Exclusiv 80w RD3 D.C. Pump.

IMG_1363.JPG
IMG_1359.JPG
IMG_1361.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back