DC return pump

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have begun collecting equipment for my hopefully soon to ship WB 65.4 and only found 1 thread sort of discussing this. I am going to be using a Sicce SDC 3.0 as the return pump and would like to use its wave options. Of course, this as I understand it could cause havoc with my ATO but this will be my first time using 1. If I run the Sicce to run say 5 hours of wave time then 1 hour of straight flow, could I then have the osmulator on a timer plug, Wi-Fi, etc come on for the last 20 mins or so of the straight hour? This would give the return pump chamber time in theory to have equalized and be at proper depth before it comes on. This would mean 4 times a day the ATO can top off the tank and add some extra random flow to the tank. Does this sound like something that can be or has been done or am I overthinking a simple set up? Thank you!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It will also wreak havoc on your overflow. The wave and random flows are meant for a closed loop style system and not when used as a return. Just set it and forget it on a single speed.

Use power heads for randomized flow in the tank

OP
OP
Icedphoenix

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will also wreak havoc on your overflow. The wave and random flows are meant for a closed loop style system and not when used as a return. Just set it and forget it on a single speed.

Use power heads for randomized flow in the tank
Ya forgot to mention the overflow. Wondered if it would cause it issues like that. Being a dual overflow may even make it worse maybe.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are return nozzles that can induce randomized flow if that's what you're looking for, but a wave pump is the best option.

It's probably not technically random flow, but I have the equivalent of those and it works pretty well.

OP
OP
Icedphoenix

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are return nozzles that can induce randomized flow if that's what you're looking for, but a wave pump is the best option.

It's probably not technically random flow, but I have the equivalent of those and it works pretty well.
I will be using wave pumps as well, just thought it might add some to it that way. Trying to decide on a pair of Nero 5s or a Gyre Maxspec and Nero 5 to start out. 4 foot tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back