DC voltage in tank 34v

Davster007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I need some help I had few fish die lately. Been checking water everything looks good from tests. So I was just thinking about stray voltage. I seen people test for AC. So I stuck a voltage pen tester in tank and went off beeping and Turning red. Just to make sure I tested my other tank and nothing no beeping. So I started taking things off the apex power brick. I noticed that just 3 lights and main jaebo return pump no beeps. As soon as I plug heater or power heads beep beep. Then I got out multimeter stuck black end into the ground on power brick. Dropped the red end into water in sump nothing. So I figured try DC. I grounded out on one of the screws on power brick ( apex eb8) and found almost 35 to 38 v. Do I need to be worried must of the pumps and power heads are DC. Need help lost my powder blue,yellow eye and wrasse. The heaters both are high dollars cobalts,powerheads are tuze with controllers and one new jeabo w8

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull them out. If you want test them separately in a container to verify which one but id pull them all out if your not sure which one.

OP
OP
Davster007

Davster007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull them out. If you want test them separately in a container to verify which one but id pull them all out if your not sure which one.
Hey George thanks for replying. I had my multi meter wrong lol. It's .45v which is nothing I'm assuming. So I guess it something else.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should still be 0 so something is leaking. Take advantage and find it before it becomes an issue

OP
OP
Davster007

Davster007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I found the cobalt heaters both are leaking. And skimmer and tunze pumps. I took them out and put in bucket tested. Problem is that's lot money to replace. So just doing pieces at a time. Doesn't matter now fish all dead grr. But corals are good. Thanks for the help. Now time for new chapter. ( New start)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back