Dead anemone, help!

Hayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, came home to find small RBT chopped up. Newbie mistake, yes. We have done everything we can, cleaned it up, water change, parameters are fine. The only carbon we have is fitted for another filter, a flat square insert for an HOB freshwater filter. We’ve angled on in to the media basket of our 32 biocube. (Stores are all closed, Saturday eve in a locked down city.) any other advice? The two fish are fine so far— wondering how long until we can assume they are out of the woods.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would purchase activated carbon tomorrow, or a product called chemi clean. I run it on my biocube, I would follow up with a water change every 2-3 days for 1-2 weeks. Any other inhabitants or corals?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, came home to find small RBT chopped up. Newbie mistake, yes. We have done everything we can, cleaned it up, water change, parameters are fine. The only carbon we have is fitted for another filter, a flat square insert for an HOB freshwater filter. We’ve angled on in to the media basket of our 32 biocube. (Stores are all closed, Saturday eve in a locked down city.) any other advice? The two fish are fine so far— wondering how long until we can assume they are out of the woods.
Hello fellow lock down province resident .

Have you Removed the shredded anemone from the tank .
is it a complete goner ?

keep a eye on livestock but I’d recommend carbon and a large water change as soon as possible

OP
OP
H

Hayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would purchase activated carbon tomorrow, or a product called chemi clean. I run it on my biocube, I would follow up with a water change every 2-3 days for 1-2 weeks. Any other inhabitants or corals?
Thank you! Just a crab who is doing fine.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Just a crab who is doing fine.
Ooop, I meant chemi pure... chemi clean is for cyano. Chemi pure is a carbon bag you place above the bio balls on the biocube. My bad

OP
OP
H

Hayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow lock down province resident .

Have you Removed the shredded anemone from the tank .
is it a complete goner ?

keep a eye on livestock but I’d recommend carbon and a large water change as soon as possible
Thank you, will do. We’ve removed everything we could find. The anemone is a goner. Will do another water change tomorrow.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, will do. We’ve removed everything we could find. The anemone is a goner. Will do another water change tomorrow.
Years ago ...
I had a ritteri wonder into a wave maker .
shredded pretty bad , killed every fish in the tank except for the 3 clownfish and 1 foxface .

the anemone lived for a few more years and measured 26” across just before I sold it to a friend so I could get into sps

it didn’t last long in his tank and ended up in another pump .
The only anemones I still have are maxi mini carpets .
They don’t travel much at all

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Net up everything you can and change filters daily the next 3 days.
Add Chemipure blue which is excellent at removing toxins and polishing water. It will also curb phos and nitrate

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^What all of them have said^^^, except I wouldn't waste the $$$ on chemipure - not that it's a bad product - I used it for years when I could get it for wholesale prices. You'll be going through it fast so it doesn't make a lot of sense to use it now IMO.

I switched to regular carbon (BRS 5g pail) a long time ago and never noticed a difference.

Coralcitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am going through the same . I found my anemone dead - small like 3 inches in one of the fish area, the one left in my tank. I removed it and all looks fine. Besides the water change Did you get the Chemipure? It was melting contained in the area thankfully.

DBC2BA87-1C5D-4196-922D-CE57170688D7.jpeg 22DC1278-34A8-4AB0-9B6F-80A61DF25B2A.jpeg D9F6AC52-756D-479B-96AD-BCED178B5415.jpeg

OP
OP
H

Hayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am going through the same . I found my anemone dead - small like 3 inches in one of the fish area, the one left in my tank. I removed it and all looks fine. Besides the water change Did you get the Chemipure? It was melting contained in the area thankfully.

DBC2BA87-1C5D-4196-922D-CE57170688D7.jpeg 22DC1278-34A8-4AB0-9B6F-80A61DF25B2A.jpeg D9F6AC52-756D-479B-96AD-BCED178B5415.jpeg
I have chemipure in now, but didn’t rush to put it at the time. Everything was fine. Sounds like yours was well contained. Charcoal if you have it maybe.

Coralcitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have chemipure in now, but didn’t rush to put it at the time. Everything was fine. Sounds like yours was well contained. Charcoal if you have it maybe.

I checked my water and my nitrates were higher than normal and amonia was raising. I did a 75% water change. Fingers crossed

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago ...
I had a ritteri wonder into a wave maker .
shredded pretty bad , killed every fish in the tank except for the 3 clownfish and 1 foxface .

the anemone lived for a few more years and measured 26” across just before I sold it to a friend so I could get into sps

it didn’t last long in his tank and ended up in another pump .
The only anemones I still have are maxi mini carpets .
They don’t travel much at all
Hi, I know this is a few months old, just curious when you say shredded pretty bad, how bad exactly? I don’t suppose you have pics? Thanks!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures …..

Tentacles on one side gone part of the outer disk shredded . Missing .
you
You can only imagine …..
A anemone stuck in a moving impeller to the point it stalls a wp40 burning it out . Who knows how long it was there . Most likely through the night and some of the next day .

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can only imagine …..
A anemone stuck in a moving impeller to the point it stalls a wp40 burning it out . Who knows how long it was there . Most likely through the night and some of the next day .
Thanks for the info. Was it’s mouth damaged?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Was it’s mouth damaged?
No ….

I have fragged a large carpet anemone before .
mad long as it has part of the mouth it will regrow to be a circle in time .
Not recommended , it can go south very fast !

That particular anemone was sold . The kid buying it insisted it was ok to rip it from the rock it was attached to .
He ripped it in half and later tried backing out of the sale .
He paid for it , I kept 2 partial anemones , which re grew to be healthy .
Happy ending !
Not all end that way

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I’d add. I once came home from a trip and found my bubble tip had been completely shredded in my power head. I cleaned what I could, did a 20% water change and ran carbon and noticed one tentacle stuck to a rock, looking relatively normal. One tentacle, no oral disc. No apparent foot but must of had a little something. That tentacle quickly grew into a large healthy anemone that lived many years and split many times. So don’t assume they are complete goners when this happens. They are really incredibly resilient creatures.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back