Dead Anthias

Jeromeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

About a day ago one of my Anthias in the qt suddenly started breathing heavily and refused to eat. I assumed it was gill flukes and dosed prazipro they have all been in this qt since October, been trying to get rid of an internal parasite but haven’t had luck at all. I’ve tried Metro and focus with food, general cure and focus with food, general cure bath, now prazipro. Anyways this morning I saw that it was on its way out and attempted on a last ditch effort to give it a freshwater dip. Put it back in the Tank and a few minutes later it passed.

Upon closer inspection it looks like it’s abdomen area is slightly swollen and it’s anus is open, any thoughts on what I could be dealing with? All of the other fish in qt are eating and active.

715e72f51c34a5b05c6d74fba5cc05b3.jpg

c47d63cbaf607e17e2fae1d024c8ea33.jpg

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro those fish are still in qt. That’s a long time Especially if you been medicating them on and off. Living in a glass box with pvp pipe is very stressful on these fish. I am not a qt expert but think 5 months of qt you might be a little too cautious. I found these bimac are very hardy especially for anthias. They are expensive Fish but they are imo the best anthias for new people who never kept them before. Plus anthias kept in a small tank will start haressing each other causing the weakest to die. Without live rock fir them to hide them normally just die one by one. 5 months in 20 Long is a long time.

OP
OP
J

Jeromeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bro yeah I want to get them out but this stringy white poop thing is persistent you think I should just introduce them already? They’re in a 30gal all is one with a skimmer and biomedia from my tank. I just don’t want them to give any of my other fish parasites.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the poop. I don’t think it’s an internal parasite. Imo I would just add them.

5 months of the fish living I would feel ok

That anthias not eating could easily be the others bully it. They will do that to each other especially in a small tank. Not saying I am 100 percent right but I would if I where you

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bro yeah I want to get them out but this stringy white poop thing is persistent you think I should just introduce them already? They’re in a 30gal all is one with a skimmer and biomedia from my tank. I just don’t want them to give any of my other fish parasites.
That's a tough one. My one attempt at anthias didn't go well and I am pretty sure I lost them to an internal parasite I couldn't clear. Mine didn't make it nearly that long through.

Are you sure the poop is white and not just a greyish color?
Hopefully @Humblefish or @melypr1985 can offer some advice.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like his anus is distended some. Have you seen him poop in the last day or two? Like Brew asked, when you have seen it was it gray? or White? Makes a difference.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eliminating internal parasites can be tricky, because some seem resistant to both metro & prazi, while with others it can take up to 3 weeks of feeding medicated food to completely knock them out. And then what happens if the fish keep eating each other's infected poop?? :eek:

Obviously a better solution is needed...

OP
OP
J

Jeromeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough one. My one attempt at anthias didn't go well and I am pretty sure I lost them to an internal parasite I couldn't clear. Mine didn't make it nearly that long through.

Are you sure the poop is white and not just a greyish color?
Hopefully @Humblefish or @melypr1985 can offer some advice.

Thank you all for replying! The poop was white. Some feces was brown with a white tail. I’ve been feeding medicated food for way over 3 weeks almost 2 months actually.

OP
OP
J

Jeromeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like his anus is distended some. Have you seen him poop in the last day or two? Like Brew asked, when you have seen it was it gray? or White? Makes a difference.

I don’t remember seeing it poop, but he was feeding just fine a day ago even when it was breathing heavily.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He could have a blockage which is causing the anus to protrude like that. If he's still eating then try feeding a peeled, boiled pea to help move things along.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He could have a blockage which is causing the anus to protrude like that. If he's still eating then try feeding a peeled, boiled pea to help move things along.

I think the fish died. :(

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah man. Sorry to hear

OP
OP
J

Jeromeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, still don’t know what to do with the others since I’m now doing a prazipro bath I’ve stopped giving them medicated food

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep feeding antibiotics... I cannot believe they’re still holding on! Don’t quit, it could make them stronger and more resilient if you don’t take it out!

OP
OP
J

Jeromeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped feeding meds since the water already has prazipro in it.. been fighting this for about 3 months now :(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back