Dead fire shrimp

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so today I picked up a fire shrimp, some hermit crabs and an orchid dotty back, and the shrimp is dead but everything else in my tank is fine. basically when I put him in he clung to a rock not really moving in the open, then shorty after he clumsily sawm down to the cave in my tank while running into the rocks, latched onto the side of it, then just turned over on the sand barley moved and died. This happened within like 3 hours. He was dripped acclimated in a bucket and does anyone have any idea what happened?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they should be acclimated slowly, at least 45-60 minutes, inverts are more sensative than fish. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but it is either already sick, or else it is a problem with water quality to kill a shrimp that fast.

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salinity is your tank and what salinity did the shrimp come from?
Always measure the water that new livestock comes in to verify acclimation times. If the salinity is very different, longer is required.

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salinity is your tank and what salinity did the shrimp come from?
Always measure the water that new livestock comes in to verify acclimation times. If the salinity is very different, longer is required.
The salinity was a little below 1.020 and mine was 1.025. Acclimation lasted like 40+ minutes and the salinity was close when I added him into the tank. The acclimation actually lowed my salinity a bit too.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity was a little below 1.020 and mine was 1.025. Acclimation lasted like 40+ minutes and the salinity was close when I added him into the tank. The acclimation actually lowed my salinity a bit too.
Not sure how to avoid it, but that's a big swing even in a few hours.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back