Dead Fish HELP

Mr. Hyde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed in a new sump for my 180 gallon FOWLR yesterday and I am having some plumbing issues that I'm working through, so there wasn't a skimmer or filtration running for most of yesterday. But I did have my 2 MP40s running for flow the entire time. This morning I wake up and everyone is alive but they all seems really stressed out. At first I count it up to be because of everything yesterday and I feed them like normal, everyone eats decently so I go about my day watching the sump levels to get them regulated. My wife and I leave to get lunch and run an errand, but when we return about 2 1/2 hours later, 2 of my chromis are dead and my purple tang has all these white splotches all over him. Everyone is breathing really really heavy and idk what to do. I'm in the process of running a 50% water change incase something got in there. Does anyone have any advise? I really dont want to loose all of my stock.

20230305_171429.jpg 20230305_171427.jpg 20230305_171422.jpg 20230305_171424.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This incident doesn’t make sense, unless perhaps your sand bed is rotting and produced ammonia without the circulation? Grasping at straws, but can you put the fish in another tank/ bucket with fresh saltwater and an air stone or small power head and see if they improve?
Have you tested the tank water?

I don’t recognize the blotches on the tang, as an common illness- let us see what others think?
@Humblefish

OP
OP
M

Mr. Hyde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This incident doesn’t make sense, unless perhaps your sand bed is rotting and produced ammonia without the circulation? Grasping at straws, but can you put the fish in another tank/ bucket with fresh saltwater and an air stone or small power head and see if they improve?
Have you tested the tank water?

I don’t recognize the blotches on the tang, as an common illness- let us see what others think?
@Humblefish
I had a 40 breeder for my QT but it got cracked in an accident while in storage. Everyone was fine yesterday m, eating, swimming, etc. I was running dual canister filters until yesterday, I am having a hard time regulating the water level in the sump (this is the first sump that I have ran) but I was worried that maybe they didn't have enough oxygen in the water somehow? It's just odd that 2 fish die and the tang gets bleach-like spots on it in less than 3 hours after eating. I fed fresh PE mysis and Reef Frenzy as usual. I really do not want to loose my purple tang or my Hippo. The hippo is in his hide spot breathing very rapidly. I will test the water after the change. I vacuum the sand bed and do 20 gallon water changes every week to 2 weeks. I don't have a large bio load for a tank this size I wouldn't think

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe change the media in the canister filters,

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I plumbed in a new sump for my 180 gallon FOWLR yesterday and I am having some plumbing issues that I'm working through, so there wasn't a skimmer or filtration running for most of yesterday. But I did have my 2 MP40s running for flow the entire time. This morning I wake up and everyone is alive but they all seems really stressed out. At first I count it up to be because of everything yesterday and I feed them like normal, everyone eats decently so I go about my day watching the sump levels to get them regulated. My wife and I leave to get lunch and run an errand, but when we return about 2 1/2 hours later, 2 of my chromis are dead and my purple tang has all these white splotches all over him. Everyone is breathing really really heavy and idk what to do. I'm in the process of running a 50% water change incase something got in there. Does anyone have any advise? I really dont want to loose all of my stock.

What glue did you use , and how long was it allowed to cure?
Was it schedule 4- PVC or what material?
Any weird smells to the sump or system? Foaming ?

I suspect poisoning/toxicity of some sort which caused gill inflammation and lowered dissolved oxygen level(s) and water change along with carbon may help but there is a reaction and question is what is causing reaction.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not sure why people read Humblefish ( and then come on here seeking answers) when Humblefish is not even on this site.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Hyde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What glue did you use , and how long was it allowed to cure?
Was it schedule 4- PVC or what material?
Any weird smells to the sump or system? Foaming ?

I suspect poisoning/toxicity of some sort which caused gill inflammation and lowered dissolved oxygen level(s) and water change along with carbon may help but there is a reaction and question is what is causing reaction.
I used white Sch 40 PVC with clear Oatey PVC cleaner and glue. It sat for a few hours prior to running water through the pipes, I had it drained below the bulkheads while working on it. Then it sat for awhile before running water. The tank did smell a little extra fishy this morning but I thought it was maybe because I am having issue regulating theater level in the sump. It will be stable for an hour or two and the water level in the return chamber will drop low.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Issues like this can be complicated. For example, it could be coincidental to the tank work you did, if it is a disease issue that cropped up at the same time. I don't think that is the case here, but it might be.

As mentioned, PVC glue can be really toxic, even when you think it is cured. The standard glue should set for 24 hours and rinsed before use.

The other thing I keyed in on was the change in filtration overnight. That can also cause a change in aeration. Did the green chromis die with their moth's open? That is a sign of anoxia.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I used white Sch 40 PVC with clear Oatey PVC cleaner and glue. It sat for a few hours prior to running water through the pipes, I had it drained below the bulkheads while working on it. Then it sat for awhile before running water. The tank did smell a little extra fishy this morning but I thought it was maybe because I am having issue regulating theater level in the sump. It will be stable for an hour or two and the water level in the return chamber will drop low.
I generally allow 12-16 hours cure time and even though PVC locks together in a minute, solvents are still present and need to evaporate before running through system.
What is current ammonia level?
Back to toxicity- Did chromis look like this when discovered dead with mouths:

1678058640868.png

OP
OP
M

Mr. Hyde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Issues like this can be complicated. For example, it could be coincidental to the tank work you did, if it is a disease issue that cropped up at the same time. I don't think that is the case here, but it might be.

As mentioned, PVC glue can be really toxic, even when you think it is cured. The standard glue should set for 24 hours and rinsed before use.

The other thing I keyed in on was the change in filtration overnight. That can also cause a change in aeration. Did the green chromis die with their moth's open? That is a sign of anoxia.

Jay
One of the chromis did have its mouth stuck open and the other did not when it was dead. I was running a Reef Octo HOB-1000 before and now I have a Reef Octo Classin 200-INT for a skimmer. Do you think I need to add an air stone?

OP
OP
M

Mr. Hyde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally allow 12-16 hours cure time and even though PVC locks together in a minute, solvents are still present and need to evaporate before running through system.
What is current ammonia level?
Back to toxicity- Did chromis look like this when discovered dead with mouths:

1678058640868.png
Yes, thats what one of them looked like.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes, thats what one of them looked like.
Yeah- I believe poisoning and see jay mentioned anoxia which is a condition of little or no dissolved oxygen which I mentioned previously in which is caused by a disturbance in the normal ecosystem function causing a type of Hypoxia.
Water changes with added carbon may or may not change impact on fish but change 1-2 gallons daily for at least 7 days? Air stone will not hurt- use it if you have it

OP
OP
M

Mr. Hyde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah- I believe poisoning and see jay mentioned anoxia which is a condition of little or no dissolved oxygen which I mentioned previously in which is caused by a disturbance in the normal ecosystem function causing a type of Hypoxia.
Water changes with added carbon may or may not change impact on fish but change 1-2 gallons daily for at least 7 days? Air stone will not hurt- use it if you have it
I just completed the water change and I'm adding Carbon and Purigen to hopefully remove any poisoning elements.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just completed the water change and I'm adding Carbon and Purigen to hopefully remove any poisoning elements.
What is ammonia level?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the chromis did have its mouth stuck open and the other did not when it was dead. I was running a Reef Octo HOB-1000 before and now I have a Reef Octo Classin 200-INT for a skimmer. Do you think I need to add an air stone?
That can never hurt, water circulation is different than aeration when it comes to gas exchange. However, if your tank has a skimmer, or if the filters return the water to the tank in such a way that bubbles are created, then an aeration issue is less likely.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Mr. Hyde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That can never hurt, water circulation is different than aeration when it comes to gas exchange. However, if your tank has a skimmer, or if the filters return the water to the tank in such a way that bubbles are created, then an aeration issue is less likely.

Jay
Well, the purple tang has lost all white spots except for one small patch and has basically returned to his normal coloration. The clown fosh seems more relaxed, but the Hippo, majestic angel, and Orange/Blue spot rabbitfish are still breathing heavy. Maybe I'm coming out of it but we'll see.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Hyde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the purple tang has lost all white spots except for one small patch and has basically returned to his normal coloration. The clown fosh seems more relaxed, but the Hippo, majestic angel, and Orange/Blue spot rabbitfish are still breathing heavy. Maybe I'm coming out of it but we'll see.
Also, the Bangai Cardnial fish seems to be ok as well. My concern is are they not getting enough oxygen from the skimmer?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back