Dead PB Tang in <24 Hours - ID help?

mattjbak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed a round reddish "bruise" and within ~10 hours he was covered in white spots which seemed to progress into "patches".

I would love help with identification as I have a few other fish in my tank and want to put together my quarantine remediation plan quickly.

Thank you R2R in advance.

IMG_4311.jpeg

IMG_4310.jpeg

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry this happened to your tang. Would you mind posting your tank parameters? How long was this tang in your system?

I did a little research and found this post about a different tang. I wonder if yours was stressed somehow?

OP
OP
M

mattjbak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry this happened to your tang. Would you mind posting your tank parameters? How long was this tang in your system?

I did a little research and found this post about a different tang. I wonder if yours was stressed somehow?

Perhaps it was. First thank you for the reply. My Cor-20 pump had failed about 48 hours prior in the middle of the night, though I did have 2 gyres and 1 mp-40 running, so there was flow.

Heat: 78 (.2 variance)
PH: ~7.8 (having trouble raising this)
Orp: ~250
Salinity: 38

Tank is a Red Sea Reefer P500.

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it was. First thank you for the reply. My Cor-20 pump had failed about 48 hours prior in the middle of the night, though I did have 2 gyres and 1 mp-40 running, so there was flow.

Heat: 78 (.2 variance)
PH: ~7.8 (having trouble raising this)
Orp: ~250
Salinity: 38

Tank is a Red Sea Reefer P500.
Did you have this tang for a long time or was this a new addition? We here on the forums always have to ask because without a quarantine process its pretty risky especially with tangs. They are very fragile fish and are extremely susceptible to disease and stress when new. Once they are in an established tank following a good QT process they are usually just fine.

Did you notice any of your other fish attacking this one?

OP
OP
M

mattjbak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have this tang for a long time or was this a new addition? We here on the forums always have to ask because without a quarantine process its pretty risky especially with tangs. They are very fragile fish and are extremely susceptible to disease and stress when new. Once they are in an established tank following a good QT process they are usually just fine.

Did you notice any of your other fish attacking this one?

Thank you for your reply. The tang was in the tank for over a month and prior to this had been thriving (was QT prior to adding to my main tank as well).

I did not see any other fish attacking this one, but also realize it could have happened when I was not around.

Back