Dead purple tang

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up today and saw my purple tang stuck to my koralia 3 dead.. How the hell does this type of stuff happen? Before i noticed him get stuck to the bottom of a maxi jet and i had to turn the pumps off for him to swim off. He was healthy feed every 3 days. what the heck?? Expensive purple tang down the drain im about to break my tank down im sick of this... First both my helfrichs, then this.... Why couldnt the cheap yellow tang die.. It always seems to be the expensive stuff that dies ****!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Didnt you just have an Ich outbreak? I thought I read that somewhere......A Tang like the purple is easily strong enough to swim free from a powerhead if it got stuck IMO. It must have been on its way out anyway.

Sorry for your loss though.

bheld1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be sorry about the loss, but not really if all you care about is how much it cost and not the fact that it died. We buy fishing knowing we have to CARE for them, and they shouldn't just be "show pieces". Sorry, but I had to share my animal rights side :) ha

Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Tang like the purple is easily strong enough to swim free from a powerhead if it got stuck IMO. It must have been on its way out anyway.

+1 on that. That shouldn't happen to a healthy fish. IMO I think fishes should be fed everyday. Imagine if you only eat once every 3 days??? Sorry about your lost tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

aerius007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs have a very high metabolism, 3x a day is great but no less than 2x a day and thats pushing it.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine once a day and i always see him picking algea off the rock, i think i might increace the amount i feed a tad to see what happens.

waxy

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my tangs once every 2-3 days so they can learn to eat off the rocks.

Tangs are really hardy, purple tang that's definitely a big loss.

Sorry to hear about that.

amay121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine everyday, fat and always hungry. As one poster mentioned, can you really go without eating for 2 days?

rlculver09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel Your Pain I've had 3 tangs die in a row and I think they are the most beautiful fish.I even went and bought the garlic extreme to try and get the last one alive and eating,I won't be getting any more tangs for a while.

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my purple tang 2-3 times a day everyday a mix of foods. First thing is Reef Prime flakes, then garlic nori sheet on two little fishes clip, then hikari tang pellets. I’m dosing vodka so no algae growth and I have an algae reactor, also running carbon changed every two weeks.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs eat all day, not just once every 3 days, especially in a tank that does not have anything else for him to eat. I am sorry but that is why your fish died. In mature tahnks with a lot of algae, tangs will eat the algae, but they need to be full all the time. I am really sad looking at fishes in a lot of tanks, emaciated fish with pinched stomach. I am not sure why people would care of their animals like that.
PBT2020091302.jpg
PurpleTang2020032203.jpg
YellowTang2019062402.jpg

Back