Dead quarantine

mrmole83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I have chosen to quarantine all my fish for at least 2 weeeks before i send them to dt. But have not succeeded yet. Not even once. The fish could not past the 1 week period. This batch i had for 4 days. 2 nemos, hippo small one, one trigger, and 5 chromis. I notice when i start to feed them the next day they would die or get really weak. I test for nh3 it was not even close to .25. What have killed the fish? And i mean over night?

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of QT and amount of fish would be my starting point.

It's hard to do, but start with one fish. Get it through QT, then do another.

When adding new fish to QT, I like to use seachem stability as well. It send to help me out in the past well. Also drain your QT and start with new water.

OP
OP
mrmole83

mrmole83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt is a 116 L
And i was quarantining 2 nemos. 1 hippo. One trigger. And 5 chromis

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of QT and amount of fish would be my starting point.

It's hard to do, but start with one fish. Get it through QT, then do another.

When adding new fish to QT, I like to use seachem stability as well. It send to help me out in the past well. Also drain your QT and start with new water.

I agree with this. Drain the QT and start with fresh water. Make sure the sponge for your filter was soaked in a bacteria in a bottle product for at least an hour before using. Use an ammonia alert badge for real time ammonia readings. You definitely want to run a few less fish through it at a time at first. Frequent water changes are going to be a must until the tank is cycled as well. Do a large water change if the badge shows any color but yellow. Ammonia is very toxic to fish. Were you using any meds in the water during this last batch?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Just to add to the questions above, did all the fish die at the same time? Any symptoms of any disease? Even behavioral symptoms?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
mrmole83

mrmole83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1449985034192.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1449985044129.jpg

I am very glad for your attention. Thank you.

This is how it looks like. Ammonia alert is only yellow. They died at once. The trigger condition is really bad. I only dosed 11 drops of cupramine 1 week ago never added more.

OP
OP
mrmole83

mrmole83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1449985034192.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1449985044129.jpg

I am very glad for your attention. Thank you.

This is how it looks like. Ammonia alert is only yellow. They died at once. The trigger condition is really bad. I only dosed 11 drops of cupramine 1 week ago never added more.
be6709e2707c8cf2f99c236f2cebe54a.jpg

I also tested separatly with nh3 ammonia test from salifert and no sign...

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any hiding spots in there? I didn't see any pvc or anything in there.. That could add to stress but may not have anything to do with your issue?

Any powerheads or hob filter in there besides the sponge filter?

OP
OP
mrmole83

mrmole83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any hiding spots in there? I didn't see any pvc or anything in there.. That could add to stress but may not have anything to do with your issue?

Any powerheads or hob filter in there besides the sponge filter?
Just sponge filter.
Only one piece of empty filter casing for hiding.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. so for the future.. Add more hiding spots if your going to QT more than 2 fish at a time. Also, remember, there is a certain amount of oxygen in the water so the more fish you put in, the more oxygen they are using. This means you have to add more oxygen to the water for them to survive. Adding a powerhead to the QT and pointing it up so that it disturbs the water's surface will increase gas exchange and increase oxygen. An HOB filter will do the same. Remember also, that the meds you use can deplete the oxygen in the water along with all the fish in there using it up. They could have had a disease (like velvet or brook) on top of this, but my gut tells me they were stressed and didn't have enough oxygen to breathe.

I may have said this before, but it bears repeating. NEVER ever use prime or other water conditioners in a tank where copper has been or will be present. << This has been a public service announcement :D

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, remember, there is a certain amount of oxygen in the water so the more fish you put in, the more oxygen they are using. This means you have to add more oxygen to the water for them to survive. Adding a powerhead to the QT and pointing it up so that it disturbs the water's surface will increase gas exchange and increase oxygen. An HOB filter will do the same. Remember also, that the meds you use can deplete the oxygen in the water along with all the fish in there using it up. They could have had a disease (like velvet or brook) on top of this, but my gut tells me they were stressed and didn't have enough oxygen to breathe.

^^I agree. An air driven sponge filter is probably fine for a 10 gal QT with a light bio-load. But when you're putting 9 fish (including a trigger and a tang) in a 30 gal QT, you really need to use at least 1 powerhead plus a HOB powerfilter breaking the surface of the water to provide more gas exchange. Also, I can't tell from the pics but were you using a glass top over the QT?

I may have said this before, but it bears repeating. NEVER ever use prime or other water conditioners in a tank where copper has been or will be present. << This has been a public service announcement :D

^^This is another possibility. Did you use an ammonia reducer before or after dosing copper?

OP
OP
mrmole83

mrmole83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^I agree. An air driven sponge filter is probably fine for a 10 gal QT with a light bio-load. But when you're putting 9 fish (including a trigger and a tang) in a 30 gal QT, you really need to use at least 1 powerhead plus a HOB powerfilter breaking the surface of the water to provide more gas exchange. Also, I can't tell from the pics but were you using a glass top over the QT?

^^This is another possibility. Did you use an ammonia reducer before or after dosing copper?
I was thinking about the oxygen problem too. The qt tank sits in a closed door bathroom. But thinking about it. I have 2 sponge filters with inline air bubbles, should that be enough?

I dont use glass top and absolutely do not use any conditioner.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about the oxygen problem too. The qt tank sits in a closed door bathroom. But thinking about it. I have 2 sponge filters with inline air bubbles, should that be enough?

With that bio-load in a 30 gal QT, probably not. You need good water movement in a larger QT to provide proper gas exchange. Also, remember every medication you add robs O2 from the water.

OP
OP
mrmole83

mrmole83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok new batch. 5 chromis small size. Tank 116l. 2 sponge airline. One aged filter sock from dt. They were fine for 2 days. I fed on the 3rd day. Fourth day 2 of them die. I just feed 3-4 small junk of folmula one i think. The green one with garlic. No ammonia alert. No nh3 detectable. So why?

No3? Cannot be oxigen...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back