Dead yellow tang

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to the snails eating my tang he's been in the tank 7 months was perfectly fine yesterday was quarantined for a month I'm lost as to what happened to him could an anemone
IMG_20200703_101359.jpg
sting kill a tang? That's the only thing I can think of

now im concerned maybe something is in my tank I lost all my fish to velvet back in November I went fallow for 7 weeks and slowly started adding quarantined fish after that all it other fish look fine are out and eating like normal I haven't noticed any aggression with any of my fish at all

Last wet thing added was a Coral a month ago the sailfin was the last fish added he's been in there a month after being in QT for a month

1x coral beauty angel
1x swallowtail angel
1x sailfin tang
1x hippo tang
2x square anthias
2x tomato clownfish
1x one spot rabbit

IMG_20200703_102426.jpg IMG_20200703_102404.jpg

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t speculate what happened, just wanted to say sorry for the loss of your fish.
thanks i guess this is more of a vent post then anything im just angry and sad nobody will be able to tell what happened to him i know that im also scared after what happened to my tank in november i dont want a repeat

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tan
So sorry for your loss...

What are your parameters and have there been any swings or other fish or coral desths?

There is a possibility velvet was not irradiated and came back.
my tanks been setup a year the perimeters are below and no my perimeters are stable i did dose chemiclean about 10 days ago to take care of a cyano problem and 3 months ago i did have a carberryi anthias die on me but i think he was being picked on his fins were all ragged and he was swimming weird like he had an injury he lasted 2 weeks before he died it definitely wasn't velvet

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 4

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.
I'd be very curious to see the organs of the fish. Gram negative bacterial infection can kill fish very quickly. Illness, injury, parasites, stress, water quality, etc. can all start a bacterial infection internally unseen to you.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.
I'd be very curious to see the organs of the fish. Gram negative bacterial infection can kill fish very quickly. Illness, injury, parasites, stress, water quality, etc. can all start a bacterial infection internally unseen to you.

Apologies for a minor digression, examining the internal organs of a fish can help diagnose bacterial infections? Are there any threads or write ups on this subject? I had a flame Hawk die of somewhat mysterious causes weeks ago (likely bacterial infection from velvet wounds). Would be nice if I could do something to figure it out.

In regards to the actual issue here, pretty sure, but not 100% if it was a resurgence of Velvet, all your fish would be dead or dying by now, no?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for a minor digression, examining the internal organs of a fish can help diagnose bacterial infections?
Sometimes a fish will have internal pathogens at work. Once the pathogens have done enough damage in the digestive tract, and its immune system begins to fail, a bacterial infection will spread along the fish's spine and is evident when viewed.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for a minor digression, examining the internal organs of a fish can help diagnose bacterial infections? Are there any threads or write ups on this subject? I had a flame Hawk die of somewhat mysterious causes weeks ago (likely bacterial infection from velvet wounds). Would be nice if I could do something to figure it out.

In regards to the actual issue here, pretty sure, but not 100% if it was a resurgence of Velvet, all your fish would be dead or dying by now, no?
thats my thoughts exactly i will monitor tmy fish for the next few days i seriously doubt it was velvet coming back i probably wont ever know what it was although since the day i got him his stomach was kinda pinched but he ate since the day i got him 7 months ago so i never paid it much mind i dunno if that could have had somethin to do with it

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you increase oxygen levels by aeration while running chemiclean? This is a must especially with a skimmer turned off. This would be my first guess if all other fish are ok at the moment.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you increase oxygen levels by aeration while running chemiclean? This is a must especially with a skimmer turned off. This would be my first guess if all other fish are ok at the moment.
yea i left the skimmer running with the cup off to aerate the tank

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i left the skimmer running with the cup off to aerate the tank
Great, just wanted to make sure you were aware. I personally don't see any tell tale signs on the fish of a major illness. I would think it's possible to a medium-large anemone to sting the fish badly enough to cause harm (maybe not exactly death). In the last photo I see that there are some torn fins which might be a clue.

Sorry about your loss. Hope you are able to figure out the culprit for closure.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss of your fish. The info on here from BigG and others made me start thinking. I had a rough month myself in June....I lost a sub adult Emporer I had for many months and a few weeks later a Potters Angel I had for a long time....both eating great and then they were gone. The only thing I noticed in both cases were fading colors a few days before they died. All other fish are fine, 6 leopards, purple tang, China Wrasse, and Earmuff Wrasse. All fish have been in my tank several years.

Gives me something to think about. I feel your pain....I was so frustrated for a brief moment I wanted to sell it all!

EntitledSushi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Our Yellow Tang died last month as well. He was with us for two years, so I understand how it feels.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Our Yellow Tang died last month as well. He was with us for two years, so I understand how it feels.
Thanks!!!! Yeah it is tough, especially when you had the little guy or guys in my case for a long time, no real sign of something wrong, and then gone!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back