Deal on Caribsea Life Rock And Caribsea Sand

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found the look of tropic Eden more “fake” look. But I have heard the sand is better but more expensive
I am not sure if you are speaking from personal experience but I have both Tonga branches. caribsea and tropic Eden. Caribsea is three times heavier(for the same length of a branch) and feels unnatural (just thick lumps)..tropic Eden on the other hand has the same density as natural Tonga brannches, are porous and have lots of character. Tropic marine is cheaper for the same length of Tonga branch(because they are light) however you are right about TM sand. They are costlier.

please note: I am not even remotely affiliated with either companies. Just an honest opinion. Hopefully this will help fellow reefers know the options and pros and cons before buying sand or reef rocks.

sam

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if you are speaking from personal experience but I have both Tonga branches. caribsea and tropic Eden. Caribsea is three times heavier(for the same length of a branch) and feels unnatural (just thick lumps)..tropic Eden on the other hand has the same density as natural Tonga brannches, are porous and have lots of character. Tropic marine is cheaper for the same length of Tonga branch(because they are light) however you are right about TM sand. They are costlier.

please note: I am not even remotely affiliated with either companies. Just an honest opinion. Hopefully this will help fellow reefers know the options and pros and cons before buying sand or reef rocks.

sam
I have never cared for the branch look from any brand.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never cared for the branch look from any brand.
To each their own. I love Tonga for mounting prized tenuis or Millies . It’s the best way to get good flow around acros. Several top vendors (including tsa) use pvc pipes to create that kind of flow around the acros.
Most importantly, all rocks(Tonga, base, shelf…) from Caribsea are just heavy and dense. hopefully this will help anyone in market for rocks. Not all rocks are created equal so you cannot just look at the price per pound.

sam

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk why people still buy that Carribsea rock, Carribsea has always been inconsistent at best, garbage at worst. Their ‘Tonga’ looks like cat turds out of my litter box spray painted purple

B469F45F-290F-4219-BB6C-6F8EB17783CF.gif

Last edited:

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Attachments

• 431CE1E0-DF21-407B-B659-4B3B987DE66A.jpeg
    431CE1E0-DF21-407B-B659-4B3B987DE66A.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 23A559AD-3AC9-4A45-8F43-3FAF0DE79F6D.jpeg
    23A559AD-3AC9-4A45-8F43-3FAF0DE79F6D.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 44

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they really need to do is someone just sell the purple epoxy these brands all use. Then just buy standard dry rock & paint/dip it in the purple

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they really need to do is someone just sell the purple epoxy these brands all use. Then just buy standard dry rock & paint/dip it in the purple
Curious the longevity of the other brands. I have seen several Caribsea posts about the color fading off within a year. Seems to be hit or miss, not sure if it’s just inconsistent application due to the price point or another factor.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious the longevity of the other brands. I have seen several Caribsea posts about the color fading off within a year. Seems to be hit or miss, not sure if it’s just inconsistent application due to the price point or another

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious the longevity of the other brands. I have seen several Caribsea posts about the color fading off within a year. Seems to be hit or miss, not sure if it’s just inconsistent application due to the price point or another
My thinking was that it was suppost to last long enough to be covered by natural Coralline algae. So if you want the rocks to fit in with your existing scape or not wanting to start a new tank with pearly white rocks.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not had tropic Eden long enough to comment on that. But hopefully it will be covered in coralline in one year.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were supposed to send me another 20 pound order but I never received notification so I called customer service and they informed me that they are out of stock with no date when will get more. So I asked to be credited for the initial order. I got my money back and a 6.8 pound rock for free.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did anyone get a reasonable resolution to this (or a good order)?

It is showing in stock at the moment and I'm debating whether to have a gamble.

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone get a reasonable resolution to this (or a good order)?

It is showing in stock at the moment and I'm debating whether to have a gamble.
I'm trying again. This time there is also $30 off a $100 order. So 2 boxes is $86.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can “get” 40lbs of this rock for around $86, but quite honestly, I don’t trust them. I’ll get a couple rocks, each around 6lbs, like I did last time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back