Dealing with a Bacterial Bloom

PhillyReefDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice. I woke up this morning to a bacterial bloom. I added a cleaner shrimp yesterday to my Waterbox 35.2 AIO. My tank is 2 months old. Parameters are below and they have been consistent for about 5 weeks. The only change was my pH. Usually it is around 7.8-8.1 but it was 7.69 when I noticed that he bloom. I opened the windows and the pH is starting to normalize. Should I just let it play out?

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 3ppm
Phosphate .01ppm
Alkalinity 9 dKH
Salinity 1.025 SG
pH 7.69

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice. I woke up this morning to a bacterial bloom. I added a cleaner shrimp yesterday to my Waterbox 35.2 AIO. My tank is 2 months old. Parameters are below and they have been consistent for about 5 weeks. The only change was my pH. Usually it is around 7.8-8.1 but it was 7.69 when I noticed that he bloom. I opened the windows and the pH is starting to normalize. Should I just let it play out?

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 3ppm
Phosphate .01ppm
Alkalinity 9 dKH
Salinity 1.025 SG
pH 7.69

You could add in a small little uv, that should clear it up fast.

OP
OP
PhillyReefDude

PhillyReefDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience brother Patience.

Bacterial bloom will go away as time passes, Bacterial bloom is very normal for new tanks.

Good Luck.
Thank You. That is what I thought. Would you suggest a doing a water change or waiting? I usually to 10-25% every Sunday.

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second @living_tribunal ...I swear by the use of a UV. I know not everyone uses them, but it's one of our favorite equipment pieces for our tank. Decreases algae, bacteria, fungal, and parasites are all in the benefit column of a UV sterilizer in addition to really clear water.

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened this week to me on a rebooted tank. I added UV this morning, an extra skimmer and will add fritz turbo start. I’ve never had this happen, and I’ve started over 6 tanks, but this is the only time I did not start a tank with or add fritz turbo start.

OP
OP
PhillyReefDude

PhillyReefDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second @living_tribunal ...I swear by the use of a UV. I know not everyone uses them, but it's one of our favorite equipment pieces for our tank. Decreases algae, bacteria, fungal, and parasites are all in the benefit column of a UV sterilizer in addition to really clear water.
Any recommendations on a UV sterilizer for an all in one?

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on a UV sterilizer for an all in one?

Innovative Marine makes: AUQA 9W, 10W and 11W (I think they call their 10W a UV gadget)

IF I where to do a UV in an AIO system, this is the way I'd go about it I think because I prefer not to plumb out of those tanks and back in (such as a hang-on). I don't because I don't trust leaks and I don't like the cosmetics. That being said, sometimes equipment just has to be plumbed out of the tank and back in and we deal with it by taking precautions.

The difference between the 9W and 11W has to do with what size back area you have to cover I believe. I have NOT used these systems. I have used AQUA brand (spelling difference) 40W and 25W and was IMMEDIATELY impressed (within 24 hours) of using a UV sterilizer and do not see me ever NOT using one. We have since place the 40W and 25W in series for our current build as we consolidated tanks into a much bigger peninsula.

Hopefully someone else will contribute some advice too on these or other units. This R2R group is awesome and often lend a hand.

OP
OP
PhillyReefDude

PhillyReefDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Innovative Marine makes: AUQA 9W, 10W and 11W (I think they call their 10W a UV gadget)

IF I where to do a UV in an AIO system, this is the way I'd go about it I think because I prefer not to plumb out of those tanks and back in (such as a hang-on). I don't because I don't trust leaks and I don't like the cosmetics. That being said, sometimes equipment just has to be plumbed out of the tank and back in and we deal with it by taking precautions.

The difference between the 9W and 11W has to do with what size back area you have to cover I believe. I have NOT used these systems. I have used AQUA brand (spelling difference) 40W and 25W and was IMMEDIATELY impressed (within 24 hours) of using a UV sterilizer and do not see me ever NOT using one. We have since place the 40W and 25W in series for our current build as we consolidated tanks into a much bigger peninsula.

Hopefully someone else will contribute some advice too on these or other units. This R2R group is awesome and often lend a hand.
Awesome. Thank you for your help. Would you suggest I wait on a water change?

OP
OP
PhillyReefDude

PhillyReefDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the smaller sizes that @mcshams posted would work great. I run a little 12W 24/7 and love it. The larger sizes: 36W and up are for dealing with dino or other extreme situations. <12W will work great.
Great thank you. I think at the moment I am just going to let it play out. Seems to be getting clearer. Also noticing a diatom bloom. Any correlation?

Drdisrespect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PhillyReefDude It’s going through different stages, Patience.

How big is is your tank? Do you have Tangs and inverts? Then no need of UV.

Tang's will graze on algae, Inverts will eat whatever is left.

Water changes can be done every month, If you have good skimmer then do water change, Once a month is fine.

Keep it simple.

tuco2018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brown diatoms showed up heavy after my dry rock turned green.

then it turned deep purple,

then my pistol shrimp sifted over half the Tank and it disappeared over night,
I have a 2-2.5 “ sand bed.
And he never really messed with the sand until it got bad, he would usually just dick his holes under rocks and only come out at night to eat.

my snails and hermits did what they could but nothing helped like burying it so it gets no light.

it went away from the sand within a week of it getting bad.

none of my parameters really changed , with or without it,

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PhillyReefDude It’s going through different stages, Patience.

How big is is your tank? Do you have Tangs and inverts? Then no need of UV.

Tang's will graze on algae, Inverts will eat whatever is left.

Water changes can be done every month, If you have good skimmer then do water change, Once a month is fine.

Keep it simple.
6 ft 8, 37” vertical leap, the 1993/1993 blockbuster international video game super star, a stallion on the mice and keyboard.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back