Dealing with small tangs?

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got a small sailfin tang(1.5-2in). I got it in a 10g qt tank. I have metro, focus, cupramine and prazi. This will be my first time qting a fish. And I have two main questions.

How do small tangs handle qt? Is it better to get larger tangs?

And this question is probably a dumb one. And I’m sure it’s fine. But is it alright to dose bacteria and cupramine at the same time?

I plan on bringing copper levels up over a week. But seeing as copper seems to react with everything badly I figured I’d check. And should I use fritz turbo900 or the standered fritz9?.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't see any reason it would be unsafe to dose bacteria and copper at the same time, but I think after a certain point the copper might just kill it all off.

Small tangs seem to be more fragile than larger tangs, in general. Do you have a larger tank you can use? It would help to dilute ammonia a bit further, and give the lil guy a bit more space to move.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small tangs ship better and adapt much faster to aquariums than large ones do, BUT they have a very high caloric demand and need to be fed adequate amounts of protein rich foods, multiple times per day. That puts you at a disadvantage in that your QT isn't fully cycled.

You can dose bacteria and copper at the same time, but ramping up the dose of copper over a week is the wrong thing to do. I'm not sure where these extended time frames come from, but over and over again, I see people run into ich or velvet in their QTs before they ever reach a full copper level. You need to get your copper up to full strength in less than 48 hours. That said, I wish you had Copper Power or Coppersafe - Cupramine reacts with ammonia removers, and I'm afraid that since you don't have an operational biofilter, using those products may become necessary (else you'll be doing lots of water changes!).

Do you have access to any filter media from a cycled tank?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Small or large- Make it a practice to QT All fish.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I do not use copper, I am little help with that. However, giving him good room, hiding places and lots of food is critical. These guys as said before need tons to eat. If you have any rocks in the tank that are full of algae, put that in the tank for a food source (the bugs and algae). Of course, do not do this if you have copper already in the system.
I hope it does well for you!

OP
OP
Bugeater281

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small tangs ship better and adapt much faster to aquariums than large ones do, BUT they have a very high caloric demand and need to be fed adequate amounts of protein rich foods, multiple times per day. That puts you at a disadvantage in that your QT isn't fully cycled.

You can dose bacteria and copper at the same time, but ramping up the dose of copper over a week is the wrong thing to do. I'm not sure where these extended time frames come from, but over and over again, I see people run into ich or velvet in their QTs before they ever reach a full copper level. You need to get your copper up to full strength in less than 48 hours. That said, I wish you had Copper Power or Coppersafe - Cupramine reacts with ammonia removers, and I'm afraid that since you don't have an operational biofilter, using those products may become necessary (else you'll be doing lots of water changes!).

Jay

I have 3 other saltwater tanks. I did add some media from them. I did dose some fritz turbostart also. I will also have water on hand at all times for water changes if needed.

OP
OP
Bugeater281

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

I was not aware of that! I have some nori in the tank. I’ll try seeing if he’ll eat some mysis. Worst case I have some macroalgea laying around I can feed. But I’m guessing copper treatment will kill the macros.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not aware of that! I have some nori in the tank. I’ll try seeing if he’ll eat some mysis. Worst case I have some macroalgea laying around I can feed. But I’m guessing copper treatment will kill the macros.
Small tangs are more carnivorous than older tangs. You can also get a lot more calories into them by feeding meaty foods (short term, not as much when they are older).

Jay

OP
OP
Bugeater281

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small tangs are more carnivorous than older tangs. You can also get a lot more calories into them by feeding meaty foods (short term, not as much when they are older).

Jay

Thank you! I Havnt witness the fish eat until tonight. He ate some mysis shrimp. Don’t think he’s touched the nori.

Back