Dealing with sudden bryopsis and turf algae

krak256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my vacation in Sep, my tank seems to be a bit off. I’ve been having issues with my acans and now I’m dealing with sudden turf algae and bryopsis.

Not sure if it’s my nutrients as my nitrates are 2 while phosphates are 0.15 (a bit high but I generally have been around there).

I’ve since increased by fuge photo period from 10 hours to 12 but it doesn’t seem to be helping.

A few questions:
1. Correct me if I’m wrong, but my nutrients could be low because the algae is taking up the nutrients.
2. Do I need to replace the led fuge light as it is getting close to 3 years old?
3. The other potential issue is that my fuge seems to not have enough flow as I am getting some bacteria/slime growth at the top of the water. Does this inhibit chaeto growth?

Any suggestions are welcome. Current tank shot:
95BA1FD4-1410-4339-A982-F27C2E0D0341.jpeg

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak to bryopsis but I can bottom my nutrients with carbon dosing and that has caused GHA and turf algae to perish or trim back considerably. GHA always goes away.

Heavy feeding which might explain why I don't get dino (just a guess) and did have a small run with cyano but that also seems fixed. This is a test tank where I push the limits to creates issues and test various ways of solving them in order to not have concerns once my main display is built.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back