Dealing with the uglies

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely look into Dr Tim's waste away. To my understanding this is bacterial. And much more keen on the idea of using that rather than chemicals. I'll certainly be trying to stay on top of the phosphates. I'm hoping the refugium helps to take care of a large part of that. I can't remember why I want to keep the nitrates above zero though. Does this have something to do with bacterial populations out competing the cyano?

I definitely should have added earlier that I use a three-stage RODI.

Thanks! It took me well over 24 hours of solid work spread out over the period of two weeks to construct this reefscape.

The nitrate thing is because cyano gets their nitrogen via the atmosphere. Everything alive needs some amount if nitrogen, and 0 nitrates will cause issues with your microbial community and what not (as well as corals and such). 0 nitrate and at least some phosphates sets up a perfect environment for cyano as their competition can't take off.

But other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about seeing a spot of cyano or what not at first as very rarely do new tanks not have at least one type of algae or bacteria try to get their footing in.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is incredibly helpful. Currently I'm running carbon in a mini reactor. Would it be better to replace this with something that removes phosphate?

Don't run GFO with your refugium. A properly lit refugium can handle phosphates without any additional help.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few of these.

conch.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Check and verify your phosphate and nitrate levels. Many say normal for a new tank but silicates driven by high phos and nitrate will trigger diatoms especially long term.

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check and verify your phosphate and nitrate levels. Many say normal for a new tank but silicates driven by high phos and nitrate will trigger diatoms especially long term.
I've heard that as well. Is there an easy way to get rid of silicates? I heard GFO but someone pointed out not to run GFO with a fuge.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back