Dealing with zoanthid eating nudibranch in a nano tank...

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - I identified some nudis I found in my tank two months ago as zoanthid eating nudibranchs. I took out my frags and dipped them once a week for about a month in AF Protect Dip and it seemed that I'd eradicated them from my tank.

This morning I've noticed some of the zoanthid polyps aren't looking so great. I may be wrong - but it seems similar to when I had these nudis, it seems reasonably likely that they're back though I haven't seen any just yet. I picked up a pink streaked wrasse though he's quite shy and doesn't seem to venture to that part of my tank very often so I don't think there's much in the way of pest control.

I'm curious as to what a good solution is?
- As it is a nano, I cannot add any other wrasse
- Preferably in tank treatment, as the dipping didn't seem to be effective last time and my zoanthids are growing off their plugs onto the live rock now, which can't feasibly be removed from the tank.

Does anyone have any experience tackling this issue in similar circumstances? Thanks!

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any rock or sand in the tank ?
I have a good way to get them in 2or3 treatments but need to know the answer to my previous question

OP
OP
Latte

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any rock or sand in the tank ?
I have a good way to get them in 2or3 treatments but need to know the answer to my previous question
Yeah there's a lot of liverock and I have a sandbed.
In tank Flatworm exit treatment once a week for at least one month.
My LFS advised me against using FWE - saying that it was a harsh chemical and some people have issues, and I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about FWE not working for ZEN on here. Do you have experience using it for doa eating nudis in tank?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there's a lot of liverock and I have a sandbed.

My LFS advised me against using FWE - saying that it was a harsh chemical and some people have issues, and I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about FWE not working for ZEN on here. Do you have experience using it for doa eating nudis in tank?

Yes back before i did QT(and most zoas were imports) i battled zoa nudis several times. I have never had an issue with it being harsh and honestly never heard of an issue related to them other than when being used for flatworms(and that seems more related to flatworms death than the FWE). I have seen reports from people about it not working also but it always worked for me. In a dip it should be easy to see the nudis often start writhing and die pretty quick in my experience(though it wont impact eggs at all which is why multiple treatments)

I still use FWE on my QT tank every time i get zoas in there. Not once had a bad reaction.

OP
OP
Latte

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes back before i did QT(and most zoas were imports) i battled zoa nudis several times. I have never had an issue with it being harsh and honestly never heard of an issue related to them other than when being used for flatworms(and that seems more related to flatworms death than the FWE). I have seen reports from people about it not working also but it always worked for me. In a dip it should be easy to see the nudis often start writhing and die pretty quick in my experience(though it wont impact eggs at all which is why multiple treatments)

I still use FWE on my QT tank every time i get zoas in there. Not once had a bad reaction.
Thanks for the response and sharing your experience :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back