OP
OP
dcal1985

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty basic but I really love this green monti!

monti 11.9.jpg

OP
OP
dcal1985

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting on the same tank! :) How many pounds of sand did you buy? I plan on a blue star leopard wrasse later on and they like to sleep in the sand.
Sweet! Let me know when you start a build thread for it and I'll follow along.

I believe it was 60 lbs of the special grade live sand from Caribsea. My bed is a little bit on the smaller side though, so you might want 80.

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great!!! Thanks!! And I'll let you know when when I start a build thread!
Congrats I have built one as well and I am going to give you my biggest 2 cents in regards to my build....keep your scape low or raise up the cabinet about 6" if possible I had trouble seeing the back of my scape and I am only 5'10" I had to bend down so I literally just redid my entire scape which I have not posted about yet and sorry to derail this thread but had to throw this in here so you dont make the same mistake since the frag is only 16" tall.

OP
OP
dcal1985

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats I have built one as well and I am going to give you my biggest 2 cents in regards to my build....keep your scape low or raise up the cabinet about 6" if possible I had trouble seeing the back of my scape and I am only 5'10" I had to bend down so I literally just redid my entire scape which I have not posted about yet and sorry to derail this thread but had to throw this in here so you dont make the same mistake since the frag is only 16" tall.
Thanks for the heads up! I definitely tried to keep it on the lower side...hopefully that's enough. I am also about 5'10".

OP
OP
dcal1985

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't posted a full tank shot in a while so figured I'd provide an update. I'm pretty happy with parameters right now other than some low nitrates/phosphates. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to add a couple more fish. Any suggestions?

ph: 8.1
alk: 8
nitrate: 0-3
phosphate 0.02
calcium: 440
magnesium: 1450

fish:
3 chromis
1 tomini tang
2 clownfish
1 royal gramma

Full tank 11.26.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dcal1985

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a really rewarding hammer coral. When I bought it a little over a month ago it was brown and quite small. The first placement was a bit too intense and it bleached a little, but after moving to the sand it has grown a ton and taken on a really nice green color with purple tips.

Hammer2.jpg
hammer 11.27.jpg

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple of new additions from @Battlecorals.

New Corals 12.3.JPG

new2 12.3.jpg
Looks great have you resolved your low nutrient levels? I am adding a wrasse to deal with some flat words and also get nutrients up but after that I am pretty much at my limit I think at least with space not bioload for fish and still struggling to keep nitrates up. I am dosing NeoNitrates which has been helping keep me around .5 - 1.5. and I have my skimmer off which I only run every other day for the night. I have also dialed back the refugium lighting I may drop another few hours from there as well.....its only going to get worse I am thinking once all the coral really starts to take off.

OP
OP
dcal1985

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great have you resolved your low nutrient levels? I am adding a wrasse to deal with some flat words and also get nutrients up but after that I am pretty much at my limit I think at least with space not bioload for fish and still struggling to keep nitrates up. I am dosing NeoNitrates which has been helping keep me around .5 - 1.5. and I have my skimmer off which I only run every other day for the night. I have also dialed back the refugium lighting I may drop another few hours from there as well.....its only going to get worse I am thinking once all the coral really starts to take off.
I've gotten them up a bit without adding any more fish...just feeding more. Phosphate is now more consistently at .03 and Nitrate around 3. I think I'll likely go the wrasse route when I find one locally. Shipping has been getting pretty unpredictable as we near the holidays.

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked for Fedex for 24 years as a driver and I always hated this time of year!! So much better now...hahaha..Love seeing both your tanks...finally started a build thread, but not much done yet. Have someone coming tmw to help with cabinet. It should move along a little faster after.

OP
OP
dcal1985

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked for Fedex for 24 years as a driver and I always hated this time of year!! So much better now...hahaha..Love seeing both your tanks...finally started a build thread, but not much done yet. Have someone coming tmw to help with cabinet. It should move along a little faster after.
Oh awesome, I'll follow along!

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, looking like a great start to your build so far! Not sure what the selection is usually like at Pet Advantage, but I'm planning to get a pink streaked wrasse myself once my build is complete. Have heard very good things about them, that they are well behaved and are good at pest control, plus I think they are a nice looking fish.

Back