OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to update you all on my status and how I'm doing. First and foremost, a huge thank you to everyone that has responded to this thread. Your thoughts and prayers have been up lifting and very helpful. Thank you from the bottom of my soul!

What I'm facing is a up hill battle and may take a long time to get over in so many ways. My cardiologist has me in a three month window. In that time, they are allowing the three heart medications I'm on to do their thing. I'm on a sodium and fluid restricted diet. This is to keep fluids from building up around my heart and lungs. (Going from eating anything I wanted to no salt is the hardest) Everything is bland now and if I eat anything that has salt on or in it tastes like a salt block! Lol

I don't have heart disease. No clogged arteries. No damaged heart muscle, just a week left side that only pumps at 20%. I have a 1/3 chance of full recovery, 1/3 chance of staying the same or 1/3 chance of declining.

Other than that, I feel much better and I'm optimistic as of now. On a reefing subject, I've been able to keep the reef going and it's actually doing very well.

So once again, a very humble thank you to my reefing family for your support and prayers! I'll try to get on here more to let you all know how I'm doing and maybe contribute a little.

Great to here from you Don, and I am so happy that you are feeling better.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to here from you Don, and I am so happy that you are feeling better.
Ditto! Prayers are continuing to flow, friend!

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to update you all on my status and how I'm doing. First and foremost, a huge thank you to everyone that has responded to this thread. Your thoughts and prayers have been up lifting and very helpful. Thank you from the bottom of my soul!

What I'm facing is a up hill battle and may take a long time to get over in so many ways. My cardiologist has me in a three month window. In that time, they are allowing the three heart medications I'm on to do their thing. I'm on a sodium and fluid restricted diet. This is to keep fluids from building up around my heart and lungs. (Going from eating anything I wanted to no salt is the hardest) Everything is bland now and if I eat anything that has salt on or in it tastes like a salt block! Lol

I don't have heart disease. No clogged arteries. No damaged heart muscle, just a week left side that only pumps at 20%. I have a 1/3 chance of full recovery, 1/3 chance of staying the same or 1/3 chance of declining.

Other than that, I feel much better and I'm optimistic as of now. On a reefing subject, I've been able to keep the reef going and it's actually doing very well.

So once again, a very humble thank you to my reefing family for your support and prayers! I'll try to get on here more to let you all know how I'm doing and maybe contribute a little.

This sounds much like my fathers condition. He has two 100% blocked, had a heart attack, and a stroke. His only option for treatment is blood thinners, lasics, and time. He already has a defibrillator installed and has sodium restrictions. Just don't be like him in that he thinks he knows more than the medical staff and takes his med as he sees fit. God bless for a speedy recovery.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My good friends father had the same situation, about a year and a half ago.

His heart was even less efficient, some 10-15% and the expectation for recovery was far less.

It all worked out for him he’s doing fantastic now, it’s really neat to see what the human body is capable of!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds much like my fathers condition. He has two 100% blocked, had a heart attack, and a stroke. His only option for treatment is blood thinners, lasics, and time. He already has a defibrillator installed and has sodium restrictions. Just don't be like him in that he thinks he knows more than the medical staff and takes his med as he sees fit. God bless for a speedy recovery.

Oh no. I'm all about taking my meds twice a day! What my doctor says, goes. Too many people/ family are counting on me. It's a tuff situation for everyone involved. Got to keep going. They need me.

Side note: wife's uncle passed away from a massive heart attack two nights ago. He left a wife and three teenage kids behind. He was 54 like me. Scary stuff folks. So sad. He was a good man and father. :(

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My good friends father had the same situation, about a year and a half ago.

His heart was even less efficient, some 10-15% and the expectation for recovery was far less.

It all worked out for him he’s doing fantastic now, it’s really neat to see what the human body is capable of!

That's the plan. God willing!

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no. I'm all about taking my meds twice a day! What my doctor says, goes. Too many people/ family are counting on me. It's a tuff situation for everyone involved. Got to keep going. They need me.

Side note: wife's uncle passed away from a massive heart attack two nights ago. He left a wife and three teenage kids behind. He was 54 like me. Scary stuff folks. So sad. He was a good man and father. :(

Glad to read you are feeling better. Take it as easy as you can. Praying for a full recovery. Also I am very sorry to read about your wife’s uncle. My sympathies.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So good to see your back Don. Prayers are continuing my friend, from my family to yours.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to bump this thread and say that don is out of surgery and doing well. And to those interested the go fund me is still up and running.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to bump this thread and say that don is out of surgery and doing well. And to those interested the go fund me is still up and running.
Thank You!!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just seeing this for the first time. I wish you and your family all the best.

@Crabs Mcjones , was this a scheduled procedure?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back