DEAR HOBBY VETS: Would you suggest an AIO or Custom Pieced Together tank for someone BRAND NEW?

What Aquarium System would you suggest to someone BRAND SPANKING NEW?

• All In One (AIO)

Votes: 191 65.2%
  • Pieced together from purchased parts (custom)

Votes: 86 29.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 5.5%

• Total voters

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, nothing wrong with mushrooms. Less lights. Less tight tolerance of parameters. Imagine not having to be in such a narrow range on phosphates? Dirty tanks much easier to achieve. Sticks are nice but stones covered in coralline and mushrooms is nice too. Lots of softy solutions. If GSP was purple I'd load the rocks with that. :cool:
I used to have a gsp that had a bright purple center and lighter green long flower things, unfortunately my aiptasia eating file fish are it, and the cloves, and pulsing zenia, and zoa's

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a gsp that had a bright purple center and lighter green long flower things, unfortunately my aiptasia eating file fish are it, and the cloves, and pulsing zenia, and zoa's
Not a fan of green even if highlighted by purple. Why I chose to avoid hairy mushrooms. Sadly that also excludes many corals but such a wide selection I'm sure I'll find enough to populate and let me kill them with my ignorance. :rolleyes:

Sadly, this is as many other hobbies tend to promote the coolest and then many try to replicate and often looking over that not so complicated but likely won't get many likes. Much easier satisfying myself then trying to satisfy others and I don't need more challenges in life.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, nothing wrong with mushrooms. Less lights. Less tight tolerance of parameters. Imagine not having to be in such a narrow range on phosphates? Dirty tanks much easier to achieve. Sticks are nice but stones covered in coralline and mushrooms is nice too. Lots of softy solutions. If GSP was purple I'd load the rocks with that. :cool:
I totally agree. I love mushrooms, palys, gsp and pulsing xenia. My tank is a high nutrients tank, which is really just a nice way of saying that it is a dirty tank. I have been keeping reefs for 25 years and this is my favorite tank that I have had.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. I love mushrooms, palys, gsp and pulsing xenia. My tank is a high nutrients tank, which is really just a nice way of saying that it is a dirty tank. I have been keeping reefs for 25 years and this is my favorite tank that I have had.
Mushrooms what lured me into wanting a reef tank in the early 80s. Wasn’t corals. Mostly brown then. Fact is most colorful being dead skeletons. Especially the blue ones.

khuchting724

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this post in the sense that if you do your research on corals that love dirty water a larger tank is much easier to maintain. I have a Red Sea 300XL and I do a water change every 3-4 weeks and my tank is thriving.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back