Dear Hobbyists: What topics would you like to see us cover?

What level of hobbyist do you consider yourself?

• Beginner

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Intermediate

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • Advanced

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, reefing on a budget. Perhaps comparing 2 similar sized systems with the same none beginner livestock (fish, LPS, SPS and inverts) and seeing how the budget friendly and high budget systems end up, focusing on the health and growth of the animals not the equipment performance. And by high and low end, I don't mean using the lowest cost equipment on BRS lol, I'm referring to items sold on amazon compared to the high end stuff that we already know.

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginner Hobbyists: What topics would you like to see us cover?

Intermediate Hobbyists: What topics would you like to see us cover?

Advanced Hobbyists: What topics would you like to see us cover?

Please tell us what level you are and what topics thanks!
Reefing myth busters.

For any issue you have you can find examples of reefers saying a particular solution works and just as many who say it’s bogus.

Do bumblebee snails really eat vermatid snails? Does yellow sponge really leach toxins that we should worry about? Is white light really just “for our eyes”? There are hundreds of examples.

Let’s put opinions and heresay aside and crowdsource some science experiments to find out once and for all.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got You Girl GIF by Palmia Beer

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general sustainability of the hobby.
Specifically, how the hobby impacts coral reefs, communities, and ultimately us. It’s kind of loaded but I think there are a wide variety of topics that could fall under this. Possible topics could include:
- Aquaculture vs mariculture vs wild collection - which do reefers prefer and why?
- How the hobby creates jobs, locally and internationally
- LFS spotlight - highlighting a different local aquarium store each week. What do each do differently?
- Climate change and it’s impact on the hobby
- Our hobby’s impact on coral reefs
- How can we preserve species through the hobby
I was thinking the exact same thing. These types of topics come up a lot and usually crumble into chaos or get buried. I'd like to really know what is going on from "farm to table" so to speak. I work as a fisheries professional and accounting for what we produce, why we do it and how it fits in with our mission statement is pretty much part of my job description.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would enjoy some discussion around biodiversity in the home reef, either bacteria or otherwise. I would love my reef to have plenty of microfauna populating every niche they can, and I love the random life that having a macroalgae refugium brings. Some discussion of live products or methods to increase biodiversity beyond "buy a piece of liverock" would be fascinating, along with methods to increase the population of bacterioplankton in the system.

tgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's so much great info here on r2r, but it's not always easy to find. Stickies are great, but not if they're 100 pages long. Also, not always easy to separate fact from opinion. I usually settle on what seems logical and practical to me.
- beneficial/worker fish
- fish that do or don't get along, generally
- sequence of adding fish
- options or best practices for attaching LPS and SPS
- corals that do or don't get along
- anemones - when, where and how

Can you tell that I'm building a new tank?

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the above.
We have reefers of all abilities on here and we would want to keep attracting reefers of all abilities.
I consider myself a Learner.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to say I'm an experienced hobbyist, but there's still billions of things for me to learn. So, I voted intermediate. I would love to see more spawning resources for inverts and coral, maybe some spotlights from labs working on coral rearing? I'm putting together a Cynarina spawning project right now, so any little resources help.
I would also love to see spotlights of 'unusual' tanks that run in different ways from the norm. Nem dominant tanks, species spotlight aquariums, you name it, I want to learn about it. Things like coldwater and macroalgae tanks, and the working behind them. All of this grows and spreads the hobby by stretching the boundary of what a saltwater tank can be.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this up for more ideas!

Lynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What all the different abbreviations mean :oops: QT, DT, RODI, LFS....the list goes on. If i hadn't been doing freshwater for a number of years I would have NO clue where to begin with all this. I think a lot of times since it's so easy to abbreviate it's easy to forget not everyone knows automatically what they stand for!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What all the different abbreviations mean :oops: QT, DT, RODI, LFS....the list goes on. If i hadn't been doing freshwater for a number of years I would have NO clue where to begin with all this. I think a lot of times since it's so easy to abbreviate it's easy to forget not everyone knows automatically what they stand for!

Great point! For everyone that gets caught by an acronym, abbreviation, or reef-related vocabulary term, this link may be helpful:

Lynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point! For everyone that gets caught by an acronym, abbreviation, or reef-related vocabulary term, this link may be helpful:

awesome! hadn't stumbled on that yet - i'll have to bookmark it for sure. Is it regularly updated?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
awesome! hadn't stumbled on that yet - i'll have to bookmark it for sure. Is it regularly updated?

It doesn't get updated very often any more because it is fairly exhaustive, but it you (or anyone) sees something that you think could be added then please let me know! :)

Lynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't get updated very often any more because it is fairly exhaustive, but it you (or anyone) sees something that you think could be added then please let me know! :)

One I was struggling with today was NTA - Negative Space Aquascape! I finally sifted through enough to find what it meant haha

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back