Death in the.. DeathStar

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of tragedy & heart-ache this week. Today, I lost the last survivor of my 20G winter storm disaster, my cleaner shrimp. He seemed happy/health in the DeathStar.. was eating regularly and then wasn’t, probably because he was dead. Might be a coincidence, but one of my 2 black storm clowns I added 2 wks ago has been having eye issues. On Saturday (about a week after purchase) I noticed his left eye was a little swollen and cloudly.. right eye was fine. I dosed Seachem Paraguard, which immediately killed my xenia (coincidence??) but the next day the left eye looked better therefore I didn’t dose again. On Tuesday, the swelling was gone & it was just a little foggy but it was eating just fine. Today, the left eye is still foggy, but the right eye is cloudy, very swollen and it’s not eating. In fact, it’s starting to bump into things every so often. I dosed another round of ParaGuard & will continue that for 3 days as prescribed.

The other clown is fine & shows no signs of issues. I also have curamine, but not sure it’s a parasite vs popeye… which I’ve read doesn’t necessarily need QT.

Parameters are good.. Ammonia – 0 & Nitrates – 20ppm. Salinity is a little high 1.027, but I thought that should be manageable w/another 20% water change this weekend.

The nitrates is a little puzzling as I just did a 20% water change on Sat. Also, I did dose Dr. Tim’s Waste Away after the water change.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
091FF987-F740-4E55-ABFB-DC55CF71AB63.jpeg
594ADB06-BA90-439E-A666-D173483FAD5E.jpeg

Hard to see, but this is what it looks like. My other clown, eyes are jet black & not swollen at all

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead a moved the one clown to my QT. He seemed very interested when i fed the tank & seems to be swimming ok, but didn’t eat from what i could tell. The Paraguard basically took about my surviving CUC & coral. Definitely missed the fine print on that. One hermit remains resistant so far.. we’ll see.

at any rate.. the right eye looks about the same & the left eye looks like it had a tiny flatworm inside or maybe it’s just the odd shape of the cloudyness.. hard to sat but it hasn’t changed shape. I also did a 2-3 FW dip thinking maybe flukes?? But he went belly-up & stopped breathing at the 2min mark do I took him out.

I’ll dose another round of Paraguard in the QT today & tomorrow.. but not sure where to go from there? Cupramibe??

18D5CDD7-6D39-4856-A8B4-880D4254D673.jpeg 80C415BE-80CB-436D-9704-7EC8DD0A9219.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back