Debating Reefcleaners pack for 40 breeder softie dominant tank

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

My 40 breeder has been up for 8-9 months. During that time I have had all sorts of nuisance algae. That has all settled and I am left with persistent green hair algae. Its on pretty much all my rocks and growing between the polyps of some of my nice zoas causing irritation. I manually remove weekly and scrub the rocks every so often. Nutrients were on the high side (20 no3 5 P04) for a while but I briefly used GFO and then added a skimmer once in control. Now nutrients are solid at 5 n03 and 0.03 p04.

I had a CUC of 10 trochus and 10 astrea snails along with a sand sifting starfish. But two months ago there was a huge die off that sent my nutrients up. I assume they ran out of food. well the GHA came back witha vengance due to the added fertilizer. Now I am considering a reefcleaners crew but was shocked at what they recommend for a 40 gallon tank. 93 additions to the tank at once? Plus thats a lot of die off once they finish their job. Is this a normal sized CUC for my tank?

I'm also hesitant to add a emerald crab and 12 hermit crabs. It seems 50/50 on if they will start eating corals.

I'm just looking for some guidance as I am growing tired of picking algae and always having fuzzy rock.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used their pack - and had no problems (I asked them to recommend a package for what I wanted to remove). The crabs did no damage to the corals I had. Though they did pick on 'dead areas'. Unfortunately, my harlequin tusk enjoyed the invertebrates much more than I did - and I've gone without a CUC for about a year.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back