Wrong protein content - Hikary Mega Marine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I purchased a lot of frozen food from liveaquaria.

Hikari Mega Marine was advertised with 13.2 percent protein. What I received has 3 percent protein. 3 percent!!!! I want my money back, which I will ask tomorrow. This is just for awareness for others.

here is the pic from Liveaquaria
2E96F828-4B76-476C-B8B1-474C4A1E66D5.png

here it is from the food sent

9C6E5E7E-F5F1-46B2-BC55-C0ECFF3C23C1.jpeg

Sam

6B4B4898-0254-4D4C-99A2-3A35B179A937.png

Last edited:

LiveAquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SamsReef Thank you for reaching out. We certainly would not intentionally misrepresent a product. I will work with our merchandising team in the morning to discuss a possible error with our content on the product page. Please PM your order details and we will be happy to resolve this for you. Have a great evening!

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@SamsReef Thank you for reaching out. We certainly would not intentionally misrepresent a product. I will work with our merchandising team in the morning to discuss a possible error with our content on the product page. Please PM your order details and we will be happy to resolve this for you. Have a great evening!
Thank you. I was looking forward to receiving a high quality food...and was surprised to see 3 percent. Appreciate your quick response. PMing the order details.

sam

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

It does look like something is definitely off. The pack you have is a different product code than the one LA is showing to have the protein amount advertised.

Hikati had a Mega Marine with 13.2 protein. If you look on the back by the bar code the product # is 2a-1212. You have a different #, not the one LA is showing that they sell.

BRS shows this pack, but not for sale. The weird thing is the dates show yours is most recent. It may just be an old picture or Hilari may have update their analysis and LA may not have updated their page. Just a guess...Hikari own site shows 3%

1606969536349.jpeg

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure where the goof up is. But I ordered CD-12959, 16 of them...which was supposed to be 13 percent protein(best in class) and received a 3 percent protein(worst in class). I am sure Liveaquaria will replace the food with something comparable.

Meanwhile, hopefully no one else will make that mistake.

sam

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey,

It does look like something is definitely off. The pack you have is a different product code than the one LA is showing to have the protein amount advertised.

Hikati had a Mega Marine with 13.2 protein. If you look on the back by the bar code the product # is 2a-1212. You have a different #, not the one LA is showing that they sell.

BRS shows this pack, but not for sale. The weird thing is the dates show yours is most recent. It may just be an old picture or Hilari may have update their analysis and LA may not have updated their page. Just a guess...Hikari own site shows 3%

1606969536349.jpeg
It’s also make me doubt all Hikari products if they went from 13 percent to 3 percent. It should be called micro marine and not mega marine :).
Sam

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you are feeding, but have you checked out LRS herbivore and reef frenzy. I use lot of Hikari and like it, but I also like to supplement those 2 from LRS along with Nori and other items.

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed a combination of

1) nori sheets (by hand)

2) PE Mysis Pellets 8 oz / 226g (3 mm) - Saltwater Fish Food - Piscine Energetics. This this good stuff. Stays in the water column a lot longer and is soft for all fishes to be able to eat

3) frozen food (mostly San Francisco Bay or Hikari)

sam

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you receive Mega Marine Angel instead?

Edit - nope even that has higher protein. Really weird, MM is one of my favorite foods, I feed it a lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you receive Mega Marine Angel instead?

Edit - nope even that has higher protein. Really weird, MM is one of my favorite foods, I feed it a lot.
I ordered Hikari mega marine and received Hikari mega marine. Only difference is that it has different analysis at the back than what’s advertised on the site.
sam

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mega Marine Algae is advertised as 3%

Last edited:

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok even the regular MM is advertised as 3% now...

:confused:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the 3% be a typo on the packet? Reading the list of ingredients, I would have thought they would struggle to get the protein as low as 3% with the first 8 ingredients being animal products? Unless unlike human food products they don’t have to list the major ingredients first? If that is the case then Hikari have been dubious with their marketing. I think it’s a bit early to be claiming liveaquaria have been deceptive in their marketing, as it is most likely a mistake at most in their part.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it’s a bit early to be claiming liveaquaria have been deceptive in their marketing, as it is most likely a mistake at most in their part.
Let’s see what liveaquaria comes back with. At the moment, the information is deceiving as protein content is a big factor while purchasing fish food.

once I hear back to my PM with Liveaquaria, I will keep the thread posted.

sam

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea about the possibility of a label misprint, but I can say that we just received 60+ cases of frozen foods from Hikari. The packs of Mega-Marine in my freezer say 13.2% protein on the label. These have an expiration date of 03-2023 so they are recent production. I've found Hikari products to be reputable and top notch with no complaints from our retailers. I hope you figure out where the error occurred.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 8.54.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 8.54.32 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have no idea about the possibility of a label misprint, but I can say that we just received 60+ cases of frozen foods from Hikari. The packs of Mega-Marine in my freezer say 13.2% protein on the label. These have an expiration date of 03-2023 so they are recent production. I've found Hikari products to be reputable and top notch with no complaints from our retailers. I hope you figure out where the error occurred.
That is my hope as well that the whole analysis is just a typo.

sam

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back