Decided to Just Jump and Take a Chance at a Side Hustle

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, i finally decided to put my idea into action and attempt to culture Grindal worms to sell to shops/coral vendors who I've previously spoken with about working with as a side hustle. I've cultured them for short periods before but this time I'm going to try to get larger scale. There are practically no live foods available (never seen live foods at any shop here) and the only way to get them is to order them online from one of about 3 sellers who sell starter cultures as opposed to ready to feed worms so i definitely expect for at least a small demand to be there at first which i suspect will grow. Copepods I'd love to do the same and they'd be even more lucrative but are slightly more difficult to culture than Grindal worms. Like I said, i have spoken to shops that have shown interest and the guy i buy my coral from said he'd advertise for me online with his coral for a small cut. I don't expect any wild success but hey, I've got basically nothing to lose and plenty to possibly gain. If you guys have any words of advice for me i appreciate it. Just got the starter culture in the mail today...

Caleb Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on your business venture! Don’t quit your day job and use profits to better your business, advertising /marketing is key can’t sell if no one knows who you are!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on your business venture! Don’t quit your day job and use profits to better your business, advertising /marketing is key can’t sell if no one knows who you are!
Don't worry, I'm not expecting to get rich by a long shot...I'd just enjoy the process primarily and making a little extra money on the side wouldn't hurt. I might just flat out fail and never sell anything but I'll never know unless i try. One way to ensure i never sell a single product is by never getting started...that's guaranteed. And thanks for the advice! It's truly appreciated!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently there's also a high demand for Copepods here according to the shop owner i was just talking to...

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently there's also a high demand for Copepods here according to the shop owner i was just talking to...
Pods are super easy. I used to grow them out in 50g barrels outside from spring to fall lol.

@atoll, I believe, has an awesome way to do it if you do not have a ton of room like I do.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Pods are super easy. I used to grow them out in 50g barrels outside from spring to fall lol.

@atoll, I believe, has an awesome way to do it if you do not have a ton of room like I do.
Don't have a lot of room but she literally said people ask for them all the time and will help me sell them if i culture them...she didn't specify species but I don't thing at this point that's most important so Tigger pods would probably be the easiest and hardiest from what I've heard...thanks @Eagle_Steve !!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

Don't have a lot of room but she literally said people ask for them all the time and will help me sell them if i culture them...she didn't specify species but I don't thing at this point that's most important so Tigger pods would probably be the easiest and hardiest from what I've heard...thanks @Eagle_Steve !!
@atoll setup is small and I think it is setup on his outside patio and takes up very little space. May be something to look into. Below is the link to his setup.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BKK is warm year round so should work out fine...this could be a decent little side hustle if it works out...pods+Grindal worms

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here's the plan. I'll focus right now on getting my Grindal worm cultures going and multiplying well over the next couple weeks since there's been plenty of interest in them alone. While I'm doing that, I'll be gathering the few supplies i need for an outdoor Tigger pod culture since they're in particularly high demand and don't require much equipment. For now j won't use my own phyto since i can get it for dirt cheap already made but after a harvest or two i might switch over to culturing nannochloropsis phyto. Next, if i feel up to it, I'll try culturing a local Thai copepod from live rock from the ocean with a different method. Lastly if all is going well with all this i might try importing some white worms in to the country since there are literally none available at all currently and culture them since they're a little bigger than Grindal worms and have some advantages. I have most of next month free from studies (only gonna be working a little) so i should have plenty of free time for these projects.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! I was just in BKK love Thailand! there is a large FW community there to I believe. might want to grow something they can use too.
good luck!
I'd love to! And you're absolutely right, there's a huge freshwater community! I'd love to help them out as well! I think Grindal worms will be a great start (you mentioning that actually just like tripled my prospective customers btw!)

Back