Deciding if I should enter the hobby and feeling overwhelmed with information

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a Soft Corals and a few fish, a 40 Breeder would be great. If you have the patience and discipline, you might not need a filter of any kind. Just something to add some current inside the tank. This requires understanding of a lot of processes though and will have periods of ugliness.

For whatever you choose, evaporation make-up will be a chore. Plan ahead for this issue. Most of us use varying types automatic top offs to make-up for evaporation. A pure water source will also save tons of headaches. I'd invest in a small RODI water purifier unit.

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...if you had 1 thing in your sump an ATO would be good. The old auto top-off. Sometimes people say it isn't necessary, but....you're gonna want it. I mean do you really want to throw in a small glass of RO water every day? Lol.

OP
OP
H

hominamad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a stupid question - but why don't people put lids on their tanks so not as much water evaporates?

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read all this and still want to set up a tank and willing to consider the IM 40 then you might as well do it right and get something with a sump. A Red Sea Reefer 170 or similar Waterbox can make a wonderful looking aquarium with a minimum of DIY. The main thing to consider is water; a water mixing station is probably the most important consideration in my experience.
This is a very time-consuming endeavor.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a stupid question - but why don't people put lids on their tanks so not as much water evaporates?
Blocks light intensity

Open top aids in oxygen exchange

Needs frequent cleaning due to salt creep

DawnfromPa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there - hoping some experienced people here, or maybe other beginners could help me out. I am really interested in getting into this hobby and want to set up a simple starter reef tank. I had a 10 gallon fresh water tank in which I successfully kept a single beta fish alive for 3 years. I was pretty good about doing regular water changes, monitoring levels, etc and took pride in having a super clean tank. So I do have a bit of exposure, but never with saltwater.

I've been doing a bunch of research and am feeling a bit overwhelmed with information. A lot of the beginner guides seem incredibly complicated and involved. I am wondering if there is a way to gradually step into this, start simple and add as I go?

I'm considering doing a 30 gallon tank this time around. I would like to have 3-4 fish, maybe some soft corals, and a couple of shrimp and crabs as my end goal. The main thing I'm grappling with is what type of tank to get and where to put it. As far as tanks, do people recommend any of these starter kits, like the bio cubes, etc that come with all the basics to start out? I don't mind getting a kit, but I do want something that I can expand on and would be concerned about getting stuck if I want to advance further.

Are there any brands or specific ones that are recommended? Or should I just buy everything separately?

Also, as far as locations go - my issue is that I have a ton of windows in my house, and it's hard to find spots out of the sunlight. Below is where I used to keep my 10 gallon tank. I measured and found a few 30 gallon long tanks that seem like they could fit there. The height from the cabinet to the counter is 16" and I saw some tanks that were 13" high. Are there any potential downsides to have the tank be right under the cabinets like this. With the 10 gallon, I used to slide the tank forward to do the water changes - which I suppose will be much harder with 30 gallons with all the rock and sand as well. Also I'm not sure about lighting. Are the lights on saltwater tanks built in to a lid like in a fresh water? I just want to make sure I have enough room to work, etc.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

~H
I would definitely not put a salt tank under kitchen cabinets or around appliances. You could do an all in one nano tank but move it over to the open space on your counter. They are small but have everything you need in some all in one systems that have whole set ups on the back. You can even buy already mixed saltwater at your local pet store. They even sell bacteria enriched sand...in most cases you can be up and running the next day after some filtration is run. Definitely go with some carbon to help keep it clean.
I would suggest a Red Sea max or RSM if you don’t want to be overwhelmed...but I have compiled a list of needs if you go with a different option.
Most systems have:
a protein skimmer that cleans the surface debris...so you have less water changes
A power head...these agitate the water
Some kind of filtration. You have so many options here.
Good lighting... led is the way to go. More blues a little whites and less pinks and purples. Blues make colors pop out...make sure it is for saltwater. Fresh water has different requirements. These are great for coral growth and safe for fish...also, easy on the electric bill
Small tanks do not require a Refugium. These help keep your tank clean by keeping skimmers, pumps, good algae’s for water parameters usually below your tank in the cabinet.
You will need a heater with built in thermostat display is a good choice and when you go big a chiller helps to keep the temp stable.
Salinity tester...either manual or digital refractometer...most will tell you with an indicator where your salt level should be.
Some live rock or dry rock
A surge protected power strip and a gfci outlet is smart too.
A test kit for your water.
Reverse osmosis set up for water changes. Tap water is not good for this hobby.

It is an expensive hobby. Setup, stocking it, maintaining it, electric bill...and it is somewhat time consuming if you don’t have a tank sitter when you go away.

It is an addicting hobby and you will likely upgrade to a larger tank sooner than you think. It’s a challenge and it is fun...You will absolutely love it. Don’t overfeed in a small tank or you will have spikes. In a larger tank there is breathing room with so many things. Take baby steps and do one thing at a time. Research what is safe to put together before you buy anything.

Before you know it you will be mentoring a newbie...

counter1.jpg

DawnfromPa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have glass lids. You never want to find your favorite fish jumped out. Also, it does help with evaporation.

OP
OP
H

hominamad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question... Everyone says reef tanks are a ton of work.

Once I get the tank stocked and stabilized, assuming I get decent equipment - skimmer, sump etc, what's really involved in the ongoing maintenance? Aside from cleaning the filters, water changes, topping off and feeding, what makes these so much work?

When I had my 10 gallon tank, I really got into a routine with it. Fed regularly, did water changes every 2-3 weeks and occasionally cleaned the glass. That was pretty much it.

Just trying to fully understand what I may be getting into as far as time commitment with this.

Thanks!

DawnfromPa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping glass clean...fun..lol
I love it. Not work if you enjoy it but you can’t go away for a couple of days. Tank crashes happen. Example ...power outage and your not home to get a generator going. No circulation and no lights,,,and so on...

DawnfromPa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 and 90. Honestly, I don’t have to do too much but I feed frozen cubes multiple times of day, once a week I do a 5 gallon change. I dose here and there for iodine and calcium...Test the water once a month. I need to get a calcium reactor. I have a carbon reactor but need to get around to it. My hands are in that tank several times a week. I like to move things if I notice changes...like my 5” hairy Rhodactis mushroom is splitting again and my twin spot goby likes to move sand on to mushrooms..lol and my rose bubble tip split again so I switched a rock around that was getting touched by him.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Once I get the tank stocked and stabilized, assuming I get decent equipment - skimmer, sump etc, what's really involved in the ongoing maintenance? Aside from cleaning the filters, water changes, topping off and feeding, what makes these so much work?

When I had my 10 gallon tank, I really got into a routine with it. Fed regularly, did water changes every 2-3 weeks and occasionally cleaned the glass. That was pretty much it.

Just trying to fully understand what I may be getting into as far as time commitment with this.

Thanks!
It's easy to feel overwhelmed. There's so much information a new stuff to learn, you can get stuck down the rabbit hole more than once and believe me we all do! Even 3 years into the hobby I find learning new stuff overwhelming at times. But it's the learning that I love. And it's the learning that keeps me coming back for more.

Here's what I did. Start small and easy.

I have a 20L with a HOB filter, cheap power heads, and an inexpensive used light I got on ebay. With this setup you can easily grow softies and LPS, get your feet wet, see if you love it and can handle the maintenance. If not, you didn't break the bank.

If you're at all like me, you'll be itching to upgrade within the year. By then you'll know more than you ever thought possible and you'll have a much better idea of the setup that's ideal for you.

good luck!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Start with a Coralife Biocube. Easy to maintain and big enough to enjoy! Put the back against the wall where the jar w/green lid is.

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there - hoping some experienced people here, or maybe other beginners could help me out. I am really interested in getting into this hobby and want to set up a simple starter reef tank. I had a 10 gallon fresh water tank in which I successfully kept a single beta fish alive for 3 years. I was pretty good about doing regular water changes, monitoring levels, etc and took pride in having a super clean tank. So I do have a bit of exposure, but never with saltwater.

I've been doing a bunch of research and am feeling a bit overwhelmed with information. A lot of the beginner guides seem incredibly complicated and involved. I am wondering if there is a way to gradually step into this, start simple and add as I go?

I'm considering doing a 30 gallon tank this time around. I would like to have 3-4 fish, maybe some soft corals, and a couple of shrimp and crabs as my end goal. The main thing I'm grappling with is what type of tank to get and where to put it. As far as tanks, do people recommend any of these starter kits, like the bio cubes, etc that come with all the basics to start out? I don't mind getting a kit, but I do want something that I can expand on and would be concerned about getting stuck if I want to advance further.

Are there any brands or specific ones that are recommended? Or should I just buy everything separately?

Also, as far as locations go - my issue is that I have a ton of windows in my house, and it's hard to find spots out of the sunlight. Below is where I used to keep my 10 gallon tank. I measured and found a few 30 gallon long tanks that seem like they could fit there. The height from the cabinet to the counter is 16" and I saw some tanks that were 13" high. Are there any potential downsides to have the tank be right under the cabinets like this. With the 10 gallon, I used to slide the tank forward to do the water changes - which I suppose will be much harder with 30 gallons with all the rock and sand as well. Also I'm not sure about lighting. Are the lights on saltwater tanks built in to a lid like in a fresh water? I just want to make sure I have enough room to work, etc.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

~H

counter1.jpg
Welcome to reef2reef. You'll find a lot of helpful people here. You're on the right track, asking questions before you buy probably puts you over 95% of your peers.

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
Well think of it this way: You don't even have a tank yet and you're already working on it! The sheer amount of research can be time consuming. If you don't want to spend your time to do your research you just won't have a good time. Honestly it's almost like reefing is a lifestyle. If you need something extra in your life, a complex hobby that you can spend your time and money on, and you know you like aquatic animals and stuff, then go for it. That was my case. I knew I wanted to do it. I needed a hobby and now I have one!

You seem to be missing how delicate a balance this is with your water. Also if you ever get algae, you might have to manually remove it.

DawnfromPa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even when you think you know a lot...you wind up researching. Every time I get a hitchhiker I double check that it’s reef safe. The list is so long I forget a lot of them. Today I got a squat lobster hitchhiker on my blasto colony.

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont be fooled, this hobby seems complex and mischevious but once you get into it and dive deep into the information, which is becoming more and more clear as the years pass on, it is fairly easy. The hobby is like any other hobby, each has there own complex, intricate way that makes how it is done unique. Trial and error.

Easy E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to be overwhelmed. This hobby can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. A reef can be anything from small tank with a few hardy inhabitants to a massive setup with astronomically priced equipment, high end livestock, intricate plumbing, and complex water chemistry. I personally have gotten a lot more enjoyment out of the hobby since I decided to go the low-cost, low-maintenance route.

If I were just starting out, I would buy all used equipment. There are people bailing out on this hobby every day who are selling barely used equipment for a fraction of what it what it would cost new. Local reef clubs and Facebook aquarium groups are an excellent resource for quality used equipment.

Research is the key. Take it slow and focus on one thing at a time to avoid being overwhelmed. I would pick one or two proven, trusted sources for your information. Preferably someone who is familiar with your goals and situation. No offense intended, but if you post a question in these forums you'll get a hundred different opinions, which can be very confusing. Do not trust anyone who's trying to sell you something. Local fish stores are quite often a terrible place to get advice.

Good luck and remember this is a hobby not a job. Enjoy yourself!

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Welcome to hobby!! Nothing wrong with starting out small. A year ago I started my first reef tank. It’s 13.5 gallons. I took my time read as much as I could...still do to this day. Watched every video under the sun. Changed my water every week. Tested my parameters once a week...sometimes daily. I developed a routine over time. Now I have a specific way I do everything. Formulated my own method through others information. And here’s a year later and I’m upgrading to a 50 gallon Lagoon tank. I started small so I could make sure I was in it. It wasn’t hard but I put in a lot of effort in. You really get out what u put in in this hobby. Enjoy and happy reefing!

Back