Deciding on a protein skimmer for a 29 gallon sps tank.

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up a tank that will be dedicated mainly to sps corals. Is it possible to go too big when it comes to a protein skimmer? The tank is just a 29 gallon that I am setting up to perfect the care of sps's before moving up to a 200+ gallon within the next year or so. Right now I am currently running a fluval 307 filter (Should have bought a sump) and think I am going to pull the trigger on a Aquamaxx hob 1.5. Is there a downside to having too big of a skimmer?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamaxx skimmers work well, the HOB or in sump probably better than the nano-specific ones, but I have had them all and they get the job done.

OP
OP
R

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply guys. I will look into all those options. Hoping to get my info straight tonight so I can order it.

I think I'm probably leaning toward the aquamaxx hob because I'm not liking the idea of the whole skimmer being in my tank.

Last edited:

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply guys. I will look into all those options. Hoping to get my info straight tonight so I can order it.

I think I'm probably leaning toward the aquamaxx hob because I'm not liking the idea of the whole skimmer being in my tank.
Take into account that a Tunze skimmer cannot overflow. An HOB can.

OP
OP
R

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Reef Octopus hob 100 installed today and its a beast. Just a little heads up for anybody getting one though, make 100% sure that everything pre-assembled on the skimmer is tightened properly! I know it sounds obvious but I figure it was ready to go, then I came home from the store an hr after install and the whole tank was off with water all over the floor. I should have took you guys advice and got the Tunze, but I am impatient and they were on back order.;Blackeye

Now that it's back up and running the skimmer does work very very well though. Still might get a Tunze since now I am a bit nervous.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back