Deciding on controller: What do you hate most about Apex, GHL, and HYDROS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was going to be my complaint for Apex. Only one alarm condition reported at a time. It would also be nice to see different levels of alarms like yellow, orange, and red that had different alerts to go along with them. I don't need to freak out if my ato reservoir is low the same way that I need to freak out if there is water on the floor.
This is the push notification from my Hydros. The Hydros has four levels of alerts and you can choose what happens with each with the exception of the none level. Is this similar to what you are looking for. The GR1 and GR2 alerts are because I unplugged two of the wifi strips to switch them around. The Bench Light alert is for my light above my bench in the garage. If I forget to turn it off in the app it will alert me until I turn it off. FSW low is the storage tank for the fresh salt water used for AWC. I had to go out and push the button that the mix tank was ready to use. It then transfer the water from the mix tank to the FSW tank. Then it turned on the RODI to fill the mix tank. That refill is still in progress. It is about 45% full at the moment. Screenshots below of my storage tank page with the inputs for the tanks and output that are connected to the tanks with a few exceptions such as the charger for the camera monitoring the driveway and the bench light.

EEA4BC01-F342-422B-8B4F-DA6D1209440B.png

269D43D2-67BF-4FDA-B722-A49DAE900510.png

6DA0CB10-32C2-460F-9784-19D952DC0453.png

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the push notification from my Hydros. The Hydros has four levels of alerts and you can choose what happens with each with the exception of the none level. Is this similar to what you are looking for. The GR1 and GR2 alerts are because I unplugged two of the wifi strips to switch them around. The Bench Light alert is for my light above my bench in the garage. If I forget to turn it off in the app it will alert me until I turn it off. FSW low is the storage tank for the fresh salt water used for AWC. I had to go out and push the button that the mix tank was ready to use. It then transfer the water from the mix tank to the FSW tank. Then it turned on the RODI to fill the mix tank. That refill is still in progress. It is about 45% full at the moment. Screenshots below of my storage tank page with the inputs for the tanks and output that are connected to the tanks with a few exceptions such as the charger for the camera monitoring the driveway and the bench light.

EEA4BC01-F342-422B-8B4F-DA6D1209440B.png

269D43D2-67BF-4FDA-B722-A49DAE900510.png

6DA0CB10-32C2-460F-9784-19D952DC0453.png
That looks pretty nice. Good to know that you can choose four levels of alerts.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love amd hate the DOS. I love everything about it but the size. I see these ecotech and red sea doses 4 heads and live the form factor. But you don't get anywhere near the control and automation as with the DOS.

If connection issues are present they will be messy.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you don't get anywhere near the control and automation as with the DOS.
Correct.

I may hate the Neptune hardware as I have to own dupes of most components, but Fusion has no comps.

I am going to be ticked when they (Neptune/BRS) flip the revenue model. Maybe they make the hardware less bogus someday?

Fusion software on top of GHL hardware I would pay buckets for.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the alkatronic the only automatic alk tester that is compatible with hydros?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the alkatronic the only automatic alk tester that is compatible with hydros?
I think the Mastertronic will also test alkalinity, but the Alkatroinc is specifically for that use. Any of them that can use a pH input on a controller will also work with a Hydros with a pH input.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I dislike most about each one?

Apex - He's gone now so it's their lack of water resistance. They cut too many corners with hardware.

Hydros - CoralVue and the fanboys. There are issues in the software but neither will acknowledge them. The wifi bar is a pile of junk. All connection issues are your fault though. Just remember that when you talk to CV and things go smoother. Your WiFi is ALWAYS the problem. It couldn't possibly be the $5 power bar with a 15 cent wifi chip.

GHL - their software is an absolute joke. Worst in the industry from any company. You'll also find very little help from the community. You'll just be told you're the issue and you need to change your entire network to accommodate the GHL.

But let's be fair and say what I like...

Apex - Easy to use. If you can't code IF THEN stuff, use the tasks! If that's too hard, there isn't a controller for you. Sorry, not sorry. In 7 years I haven't had a single hardware failure to date. I've got EB8s, DOS, PM1, multiple temp and pH probes, and more. Yes, I've replaced probes since they do wear out but never prematurely so far. I'm actually a big fan that BRS is involved in some way now. Neptune needs a good kick in the pants.

Hydros - very easy to setup and program. Better attention to build quality and water resistance. Love all the new stuff coming out.

GHL - the hardware is unreal. Easily the best built. This is where it ends though...
IV BEEN SAYING THIS EXACT THING ABOUT GHL AND YOU ARE CORRECT THE GHL PEOPLE WILL ATTACK YOU

WAIT FOR IT GOT SOME GHL TROLLS FOLLOWING ME

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My power bar disconnects about 2 to 3 times per day. That’s not an issue as it connects back reasonably quickly, but it emails me every time which is a pain.

I’ve tried turning off the email notifications for the power bar but it’s still emailing me. I’m probably doing something wrong but if it continues my next step is to turn off all notifications.
So exactly why are you trolling me defending this product by your own account on this post and a few pages back they are a headache

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am not trolling you; it appears that you don’t even know what a troll is.

I am fed up with my ‘watch’ alerts popping up on multiple threads, some from months ago, where you are repeating the same, incorrect, statements over and over and over. Eventually I can ‘unwatch’ all of these threads but it is going to take some time when you’re dragging up such old ones so you can have your little rant in multiple places

Yes, I admit that GHL has issues. The Wi-Fi and software has lots of room for improvement. But I still believe that it is one of, if not the, best controller out there.

As me and others have said before, if you don’t want to buy GHL then I can understand that (everyone has their own requirements and preferences) but you don’t have to go on a crusade to tell everyone on the internet your decision. Again, I will say, statements like ‘it is broken out of the box’ are not doing you any favours.

I’m not sure what you hope to achieve with these repetitive posts. I’m not going to lose any sleep if you don’t buy GHL and I’m sure GHL won’t either; they certainly aren’t going to change their development schedule based on your internet posts.

It is what it is. If you don’t like GHL then please just move on and get something you do like and enjoy the hobby. These rants aren’t helping anybody (including yourself).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back