Deciding on next step for algae control

Marine430

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think does?
I believe adding a bag of gfo will not cause you to get dino's. I think Dino's come when people are obsessed with cleaning sand bed, filters, live rock, to many or to large of water changes. This creates your tank to be too clean and kills to much good bacteria.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe adding a bag of gfo will not cause you to get dino's. I think Dino's come when people are obsessed with cleaning sand bed, filters, live rock, to many or to large of water changes. This creates your tank to be too clean and kills to much good bacteria.
Seems fair

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBones

if sandbed cleaning caused dinos, how would our sand rinse thread be turning out. It would be five years of assembled wrecks, plus we did all that work by using tap water on living reef sand, even worse so to speak. We did the opposite of the common rule.

your tank is where it should be for the rocks used and overall age as alternations of generations on the reef works through maturity, you simply have the option to allow the mass to gain or not.

the preventative for your issue is not what removes current invasion from your reef, they’re separate. This saves your reef which is really sharp looking from ever potentially going downhill- disallow this invasion until you find the preventative.

dinos are the top scourge in reefing and when someone’s theory on cause is accurate, we won’t have forty pages of opposite findings and the scourge will be beaten.

the degree of bryopsis and dinos challenges means everyone’s ideas about them collectively amounts to about 30% ability to control for the public, those with no dinos or have beaten dinos try and upscale a given arrangement in a dinos work thread for others and it fails, this is the current state for the hobby.

your battle is half the normal amount, because you have clean unimpacted sand. Be hand removing this until you find the preventer, allow no mass, do not willingly cede to it regardless of the species.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way to save your tank before it turns is to keep the system manually free of the ? until you don’t have to. It looks like youve taken that path, reef looks sharp nice and healthy above

with a few select Amazon uv purchases and a pre removal cleaning job on your part, it would not be all that hard to beat I bet. Get a common jebao sterilizer meant for a fifteen hundred gallon pond and dont be nice to the mat lol

theyre small, plumb it in and cheat with it, take it offline when this round runs its course. Add bags of real refugium pods in the cleaned, low mass condition. There is a strong link between gfo and dinos and new rock tanks in the threads that study dinos, I personally would not use it.

i do not doubt the ability of nitrate and phosphate levels as important controls along with pods etc. my goal is to apply all that in the forced clean low invader mass condition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates .23 today before adding chemipure elite

I’ll report back Sunday when I usually do water changes and test.
Reporting back phosphate at .05 woohoo!
Will check rest of parameters but may not need a water change this week

edit. May do anyway as I have water ready and heated

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reporting back. After of week of cutting back feedings from 1 cube per day to 2/3 Cube per day, adding chemipure elite, and netting out substrate that has algae in it...I still have algae growing in substrate.
Should I chalk it up to young tank and just continue to fight it and hope for maturity to reduce it or cave for algae scrubber that fits the tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After weeks of research and since my sump area is small I’m going to try the Hog1x scrubber. It was on sale at marine depot and I think at WORST it will help to keep algae at bay. I still need some for my cuc but instead of fuge this should help

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure and less deeded a seems to have lowered phosphates and nitrates compared to weeks ago.

still a scrubber should help to stretch it out for me to do less than weekly water changes

Attachments

• 222E9EB8-96F1-4806-81D2-ADA1F2D9BE22.png
    222E9EB8-96F1-4806-81D2-ADA1F2D9BE22.png
    500.6 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So manually removed from the sand yesterday and it’s back today like it never left. Also the only non-live rock in the tank has multiple patches growing. Looks like tiny branches of algae less like hair...or maybe there is different algae types

hitting it daily and hoping for the best before it gets out of hand.

my parameters weren’t bad but probably higher due to algae taking them out of water.

phosphates .08
Nitrate 5ppm

prior to water change

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBones

if sandbed cleaning caused dinos, how would our sand rinse thread be turning out. It would be five years of assembled wrecks, plus we did all that work by using tap water on living reef sand, even worse so to speak. We did the opposite of the common rule.

your tank is where it should be for the rocks used and overall age as alternations of generations on the reef works through maturity, you simply have the option to allow the mass to gain or not.

the preventative for your issue is not what removes current invasion from your reef, they’re separate. This saves your reef which is really sharp looking from ever potentially going downhill- disallow this invasion until you find the preventative.

dinos are the top scourge in reefing and when someone’s theory on cause is accurate, we won’t have forty pages of opposite findings and the scourge will be beaten.

the degree of bryopsis and dinos challenges means everyone’s ideas about them collectively amounts to about 30% ability to control for the public, those with no dinos or have beaten dinos try and upscale a given arrangement in a dinos work thread for others and it fails, this is the current state for the hobby.

your battle is half the normal amount, because you have clean unimpacted sand. Be hand removing this until you find the preventer, allow no mass, do not willingly cede to it regardless of the species.
Thanks, I’m trying

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only bc we care :)

we want it beat for everyone. Everyone has a way they like best

I know even direct cleaning may not work, but easy to try at least a couple rounds. Hey did you ever get a chance to consider the big pond sterilizer off amazon, rated for 1200 gallons it burns stuff for us nicely. Not as a permanent install, just enough to burn till you find the right nitrate and phosphate balances

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look good. Don't chase numbers and just keep up on maintenance. I'd stop using the Chemipure before PO4 bottoms out. A fuge will help to lower NO3 but PO4 is only slowly taken up. A good defense is great for algae control. A large diverse CUC and regular maintenance. Water changes will not lower PO4 BTW. Good luck and keep up the hard work. Tank is looking great!

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look good. Don't chase numbers and just keep up on maintenance. I'd stop using the Chemipure before PO4 bottoms out. A fuge will help to lower NO3 but PO4 is only slowly taken up. A good defense is great for algae control. A large diverse CUC and regular maintenance. Water changes will not lower PO4 BTW. Good luck and keep up the hard work. Tank is looking great!
Even w chemipure my po4 has increased. I will pull it after algae scrubber starts to work. Sound like a plan?

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only bc we care :)

we want it beat for everyone. Everyone has a way they like best

I know even direct cleaning may not work, but easy to try at least a couple rounds. Hey did you ever get a chance to consider the big pond sterilizer off amazon, rated for 1200 gallons it burns stuff for us nicely. Not as a permanent install, just enough to burn till you find the right nitrate and phosphate balances
I have algae scrubber coming instead of adding a hob fuge. Hopefully that will give it a place to grow that I can easily peel and throw to keep things consistent

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even w chemipure my po4 has increased. I will pull it after algae scrubber starts to work. Sound like a plan?
How old is the Chemipure? Might need replacing. PO4 binds to rocks and sand. As you remove it, it unattaches. Not completely sure. I would post in Randy Holmes-Farley reef chemistry thread. This might be why it increases. Do you use RODI water or tap water? Tap Water has PO4 in it. Are you using any coral foods?
The ATS is a good item. They seem to work really well.

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the Chemipure? Might need replacing. PO4 binds to rocks and sand. As you remove it, it unattaches. Not completely sure. I would post in Randy Holmes-Farley reef chemistry thread. This might be why it increases. Do you use RODI water or tap water? Tap Water has PO4 in it. Are you using any coral foods?
Chemipure is fresh. Just added it a week ago.
I use rodi water with 0 tds (I have a tester)

I have used reef roids but not even once a week.

It make be my non-live rock soaking in phosphates and maybe now expelling them

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp measured using Hanna 3 times. First was .18 and the other two were .00...what should I do?????

OP
OP
C

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBones

According to Hanna and api I bottomed out phosphates

I imediatley shut skimmer pulled chemipure and fed reef roids.
Guess I monitor daily now to get them up?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back