Deciding whether or not to buy Black Sun Coral (Tubastraea micranthus)

Gray Levison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my fish store just got in a couple nice frags of black sun coral a couple days ago and I would really like to keep one. I work at the fish store but I mostly just maintain the tanks and do any other tasks that need to get done so I don't know much about this coral. I asked two of my coworkers who are really knowledgeable, one said they're really hard to take care of and the other said they are just a little more difficult than the other sun coral species I have in my tank which is doing GREAT. What do you guys think? How much harder are they than other sun corals and why?

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my fish store just got in a couple nice frags of black sun coral a couple days ago and I would really like to keep one. I work at the fish store but I mostly just maintain the tanks and do any other tasks that need to get done so I don't know much about this coral. I asked two of my coworkers who are really knowledgeable, one said they're really hard to take care of and the other said they are just a little more difficult than the other sun coral species I have in my tank which is doing GREAT. What do you guys think? How much harder are they than other sun corals and why?
I would get the sun coral! They are very pretty, but in my opinion, do what you want! It’s your money, maybe save up to ge a better light, sump, fintration system, etc. If it’s under $70, GET IT!

OP
OP
G

Gray Levison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard, it's not very common in the trade...I already have one sun coral that's doing great and I love it. My only concern is the fact that people say black sun coral is harder to take care of. Have you ever kept one?

OP
OP
G

Gray Levison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the sun coral! They are very pretty, but in my opinion, do what you want! It’s your money, maybe save up to ge a better light, sump, fintration system, etc. If it’s under $70, GET IT!
From what I've heard, it's not very common in the trade...I already have one sun coral that's doing great and I love it. My only concern is the fact that people say black sun coral is harder to take care of. Have you ever kept one?

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s what I have to say, I would get the black sun coral, I was gonna get one so I know a good amount of info on one. So they do get hungry! More than anything! They won’t eat your fish but if a very small invert without a Shell makes it in its mouth when it’s hungry, gg to that invert! But they do expand 1 inch bigger when hungry, so make sure you have the right gallon size, 30+ to be exact, and to feed it daily if you do have invertebrates! Gl man! :)

OP
OP
G

Gray Levison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s what I have to say, I would get the black sun coral, I was gonna get one so I know a good amount of info on one. So they do get hungry! More than anything! They won’t eat your fish but if a very small invert without a Shell makes it in its mouth when it’s hungry, gg to that invert! But they do expand 1 inch bigger when hungry, so make sure you have the right gallon size, 30+ to be exact, and to feed it daily if you do have invertebrates! Gl man! :)
So how particular are they about the water current? Will they not eat if the current isn't right? Also, I feed my sun coral at the same time as my filter feeders so it gets a mix of mysis, reef snow, PhytoFeast Alive, Brighwell Aquatics' Microvore, Reef Energy A & B, and sometimes special Gorg food every couple days. Will a black sun coral like this mix? My other sun coral seems to love it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back