Decisions, decisions, decisions - The fish cave is becoming a reality

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sellers accepted my offer so pending inspection and appraisal the site of my next system has finally been found!!! Instead of a "man cave" my goal is to turn the basement into a space to support the tank I want to build so it is time to start taking my "dream" and begin turning into into an executable plan.

I'll apologize now as there are going to be a ton of threads and questions coming in the next few months and for the giant tease b/c it is going to be a long con to get this tank built. The basement is chopped up with random walls and closets so it is going to take some time to get it into shape for the tank.

I've been reading and researching since joining and still stumped or doubting my choices. Seemingly things change as I go. Here are some things I am currently mulling and could use some input on:
  • Tank size and design - Originally I just wanted to go with a long and wide rectangle (10'x4'x4') but then I thought about having and 'L' shaped tank and love the idea of it. Two main viewing panels and two on the ends with lots of space for fish to swim.
    • The stairs have a couple 90 degree turns so I am not sure how big of a panel I can get down there. Won't know until I get to see it (buying it sight unseen after virtual tour by my agent) so size is undetermined until 12/4.
    • Plywood/fiberglass/epoxy but with Glass or acrylic. Read the arguments and want to go glass but I think the dimensions I want to achieve might best be done with acrylic viewing panes.
    • Use LVLs for exterior structure - big header and big "rim joists" support by thicker than standard framing
  • Inhabitants - Mixed reef with fringe fish! I like fish and I cannot lie but I also like coral and want to maximize the two. So how do I make a coral/invert plan to maximize the chances of success with a fair amount of fringe fish on the list (dwarf angels, large angels, pyramid butterfly, trigger, potentially an eel). How do I get softies(?), some LPS that are less likely to get picked on, and SPS to get along.
  • Flow v1.0 - Just getting flow in an 'L' without creating dead spots
  • Flow v2.0 - It's going to be a big system and going to need LOTs of flow. Doing the math even using ampmasters or large ACs I am going to theoretically need a ton of pumps. I feel like I am going to be creating a whirlpool.
  • Flow v2.1 - Closed loops - Not wanting to turn the tank into swiss cheese. Most outlets will be through spray bars or spray "heads" plumbed through the aquascape but facing plumbing challenges
  • Sea sweeps w/ Tunze , sea swirls on returns or closed loops, Variable Flow Nozzles and eductors - Are they my friend?
  • Overflows - Not a big fan of building my own overflow into the tank, would like to use ghost overflows (synergy reef, etc.) but how do I plumb them into the tank and sump and how many am I going to need?
  • Lighting - Going MH w/ reefbrite controllable ballasts and T5 w/ dimmable/controllable ballasts.
    • Which reflectors and what wattage? Had originally focused in on 400W DE Cayman Suns but need to figure out if they are going to offer enough coverage on a wide tank and enough penetration to support softies/LPS at the bottom of a deep tank
  • Plumbing refugiums into the system; planning two - a macro display and a clam display
  • Sump design - DIY acrylic build
    • Rollers - how to do this with the large system
    • Skimmer space - using two "undersized skimmers" rather than one large
    • Reactor space - Carbon reactor, algae reactor (maybe two to alternate cleaning)
    • Return/dosing section - where multiple return pumps will be housed, all dosing pumps will feed into this chamber
    • Volume - how much
  • Controller - Want to run GHL but read there are limits on things like flow monitors, etc. So can I run Apex for some things (auto feeders, flow guages) and GHL to manage the rest of the life support and dosing (both getting independent battery back ups)
  • Heat/cool the tank - aquaculture heat pump
  • Environmental concerns for the space - mini split (hyper heat w/ ceiling cassettes) to heat/cool the room, ERV to bring fresh air in and exhaust stale air, exhaust fan set to humidity sensor as back up if ERV doesn't keep up or use if temp in hood gets too high, whole house dehumidifier on upper floors
  • Environmental - Green board, paint exposed surfaces, insulation, air sealing - potentially using FRP or expanded PVC in area that are likely to get wet/splashed
Sorry for the diarrhea of the keyboard this evening. Just "saying it out loud" sometimes helps provide clarity. Thanks in advance for your input, knowledge and patience! :D

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What might be useful, is if you start your build thread, and then stick all of your threads inside that one. That way you can say "I asked about this" and it navigates to a response with maybe 5-10 answers, instead of having a 100 page build thread that has like 5 questions and 20 pages of answers for each one....

So if this thread was your mother thread, you could link it something like

"Today I asked about clam safe fish"

and so on and so forth.

OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What might be useful, is if you start your build thread, and then stick all of your threads inside that one. That way you can say "I asked about this" and it navigates to a response with maybe 5-10 answers, instead of having a 100 page build thread that has like 5 questions and 20 pages of answers for each one....

So if this thread was your mother thread, you could link it something like

"Today I asked about clam safe fish"

and so on and so forth.

Should I start one that says "How do I do that?" :D :D ;)

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank shape: If you take the L, then it might be worth having it be relatively laminar in design, with the shorter leg of the L having hte overflow, and then pumping in water from the top of the longer L.

Fish + Corals: I recommend making use of a spreadsheet. Put in the fish you want to have in the first column, and the corals you want in the first row. Then put an X

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back