Decisions, decisions...Red Sea/Waterbox

Solrock Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I need some help. I've read so many threads with mixed reviews on Red Sea Reefer aquariums. So here I am in love with the Red Sea Reefer 525xl. The dimensions and water volume is exactly what I'm looking for. But then you read about the seals coming apart on the front glass panels, which was very disappointing. But then I started thinking of the volume of tanks they sell. Every company has a bad batch, no? Should I just go Waterbox? I like Waterbox but for the length of the tank I'd have to step up to the 180.5. I want a 5ft long long solid reliable aquarium that I can keep for many years. What do you guys think? Or recommend?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!! You may find a range of opinions on tanks, but IMO I think that both of these companies make great tanks.

#WaterBox #Redsea

daddi-o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're thinking about all the right things. Take that with a grain of salt being that I'm a noob.

I went back and forth on both companies for quite a while. I finally settled on RSR 350 based on 3 things: cost, dimension and LFS availability. From what I've read, though, I don't think you can make a wrong decision.

Even with the new cheaper Marine X line from Waterbox, the Reefer was cheaper (ask LFS for THEIR price - mine was lower than MAP). The Reefer 350 is about 20" wide, and an extra couple inches on the WB Reef series would have encroached on our living area too much (me, wife, kid in 1200 sqft apartment). I am already happy I bought through the LFS - I was missing some of the rubber screw covers for the Reefer stand. Instead of dealing with Red Sea, I just called my LFS and they gave me the parts I was missing.

I do think that the WB Reef line probably has a nicer cabinet than my 350 (the XL line might be on par with WB Reef), and that I've heard mostly good things about WB support - not so much with RS support.

As far as the failing tanks, there horror stories for both companies. I've found more horror stores for RS, but I agree with you - they probably sell a lot more than WB does, so who knows about failures per unit sold . . .

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you're thinking about all the right things. Take that with a grain of salt being that I'm a noob.

I went back and forth on both companies for quite a while. I finally settled on RSR 350 based on 3 things: cost, dimension and LFS availability. From what I've read, though, I don't think you can make a wrong decision.

Even with the new cheaper Marine X line from Waterbox, the Reefer was cheaper (ask LFS for THEIR price - mine was lower than MAP). The Reefer 350 is about 20" wide, and an extra couple inches on the WB Reef series would have encroached on our living area too much (me, wife, kid in 1200 sqft apartment). I am already happy I bought through the LFS - I was missing some of the rubber screw covers for the Reefer stand. Instead of dealing with Red Sea, I just called my LFS and they gave me the parts I was missing.

I do think that the WB Reef line probably has a nicer cabinet than my 350 (the XL line might be on par with WB Reef), and that I've heard mostly good things about WB support - not so much with RS support.

As far as the failing tanks, there horror stories for both companies. I've found more horror stores for RS, but I agree with you - they probably sell a lot more than WB does, so who knows about failures per unit sold . . .

Great point about Waterbox support! I have met several of their customer service staff and their customer service manager - they are truly good people!

OP
OP
Solrock Reefing

Solrock Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although smaller, I went with waterbed 100.3. I am really impressed with how well built their cabinet is. I think in a big tank their plumbing is better than red sea first impression. As far as glass, I suspect they are both awesome.
The 100.3 is great looking tank. Do you have a build thread on here? I just started one for my 130.4. I can definitely use all the advice I can get. I'm not new to saltwater tanks but I am to reefing.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah overall happy with wb the cabinet has held the smaller ones are drilled AIO so the back chamber is a nussance that’s my biggest complaint

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my Waterbox 100.3 yesterday, but won’t get to til after thanksgiving. I want the new 270.6 they came out with on blue Friday. That is sometime next year.

muggle reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 100.3 is great looking tank. Do you have a build thread on here? I just started one for my 130.4. I can definitely use all the advice I can get. I'm not new to saltwater tanks but I am to reefing.
I just started one, I am currently adding water to the tank and installing our electronics. Have next batch of water running through RODI right now.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Red Sea Reefer comes with green tubing, I would suggest testing it for tin (via soak in RO/DI and ICP test).....or replace it with some other tubing. It caused a 9-month nightmare for me.

Back