Decompression issue, can they resolve on their own?

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wanted a Japanese Swallowtail Angelfish since I set up a reef but unfortunately never seen any about until recently.

First time I saw the fish it had good body condition but was swimming head down and struggling not to pop up like a cork, so I walked away disappointed assuming it was a decompression issue. 10 days later I was in the shop again and the same fish was swimming normally. I asked how long it been in the shop (4 weeks) and if feeding (yes), it's got no sign of unnatural swellings or prolapses. So I took a risk and brought her home.

But now I can't find any occurrences of Swallowtails healing from decompression maladies on their own. Have I made a mistake? Or does it sound healed? Should I treat her with anything?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME; it almost never remedies itself. If a "bubble" is present, you can lance the gas out of the swim bladder like was done here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/venting-a-swim-bladder-black-cap-basslet.219954/

The whole problem is collectors not wanting to take hours that are required to slowly bring a fish caught in deep water to the surface. Rule of thumb is to tie the bags to a rope and from the boat bring the fish up 6 feet every 15-20 minutes. Time is money. :eek:

More info below:

http://www.reefdup.com/2014/01/05/swim-bladder-inflammation-in-fish/

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/12/01/...s-simple-procedure-correct-downswimming-fish/

OP
OP
1979fishgeek

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, great links.

I used that technique with a Mbu Puffer years ago, as they can get air locks in their inflation chambers, only variation was using clove oil as anaesthetic. This Swallowtail has no visual swellings... yet.

I don't think she has eaten yet and is still hiding in a cave but she only been in the tank since Thursday so hopefully this is just stress? Good news is her breathing seems normal and swimming looks fine.
Hopefully when she ventures out she will start eating, tried all sorts and had no luck yet.

a14455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno about the other guy who said it does not remedy itself , I bought a pair from my local LFS and I picked up a male and a female . and I avoided the one who showed difficulty swimming properly . the male and the female I got were perfectly fine. 5 days later just today the male is showing difficulty.

I saw another article that says given these are deep water fish when in our tanks they pick up food from the surface. they get air they cant remove it like other fish . and it almost always remedies it self.

So I think I have some truth here . ? May be not I am going to take a video journal to see if the make swallowtail will recover by himself.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno about the other guy who said it does not remedy itself , I bought a pair from my local LFS and I picked up a male and a female . and I avoided the one who showed difficulty swimming properly . the male and the female I got were perfectly fine. 5 days later just today the male is showing difficulty.

I saw another article that says given these are deep water fish when in our tanks they pick up food from the surface. they get air they cant remove it like other fish . and it almost always remedies it self.
So I think I have some truth here . ? May be not I am going to take a video journal to see if the make swallowtail will recover by himself.
The air swallowing is definitely a thing, and yes, the fish can resolve on its own by not feeding them floating foods (they will actually pass the gas).

I’ve seen fish with decompression issues resolve on their own.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back